Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sun, Jul 30, 2017 12:44 AM

microcell causing router to lose wifi signal

I had an issue where my wifi went out, ATT tech came and found no issues with router or wiring. For the heck of it, he was going change out the router and when he unplugger the ethernet cable, wifi came back up. Plugged micro cell ethernet cable back in, no wifi.

Ive used this micro cell for years (white one) with no problems. Ive tried re-booting it, nothing seems to work. Anybody ever had a similar issue?

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.4K Messages

3 years ago

@swatkin - the MicroCell can not interfere with WiFi per se. Two entirely different bandwidths. AT&T Techs have no real clue as to how the MicroCell works. If you have a white model, I'd check the ac adapter to make sure it's not starting to fail (see my Quick Tips, link in my sig line). Other than that, I'd look at the router.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

I'd change out the router with another one to see if that eliminates the problem.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

I've reviewed other posts concerning loss of WiFi when connecting an Ethernet cable to a router and you are definitely not the only one who has run into this.  I didn't find much in the way of any concrete solutions for this however.

Some have stated that changing the WiFi channel used by the router can help with this but I'm not sure I see how that can be helpful. I'm assuming you've already done the usual troubleshooting like swapping cables and Ethernet ports on your router.

You don't say what each Mcell indicator light is showing....solid green, flashing green, flashing red.  We need that information to further diagnose your problem.  It could be an AC adapter failure where the output voltage has changed, causing the Mcell to go wonky.  Definitely need to check the output of the adapter.  It should read 16 VDC +/- 0.5 VDC with no load on the adapter.

If that checks out then I'd go back to your ISP and ask that they replace the router.

I'm assuming you do have a router and not a gateway?  Do you have a modem and router or just one device (gateway)?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

using a gateway, single device.

All lights on the microcell are solid green except 3G, which is flashing green.

i checked the AC adapter as suggested and found the voltage without a load was way higher than the 16 VDC. Reading came in at 27.3 VDC so I assume that could be the issue.

whats the possibility of damage to the microcell with the excessive voltage and is there a way to check besides just replacing the adapter?

Can I even get a replacement adapter?

thanks again

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.4K Messages

3 years ago

@swatkin - 27VDC is pretty high. We don't have hard numbers but my guess is that a voltage that high could damage the MicroCell over time. I don't have any links but it's not hard to find an adapter that is the same rating as the adapter that shipped with your MicroCell. Wherever you purchase the adapter, I'd give it a quick voltmeter test before putting it into use.

If your MicroCell is damaged by the excessive voltage my guess is that you'll have the same problem with an adapter that reads like it should. MicroCell's can not be repaired but let's not go there until you replace the adapter.

Were there any upgrades to your gateway or service that happened that coincided with your loss of connectivity?

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

If I recall, we've seen reported AC adapter voltages as high as 35 VDC so what you've reported is not unheard of.  There is no way to check the Mcell for damage other than to replace the AC adapter with one that has the same output rating as the original adapter, but I would guess that your Mcell is most likely still functional.  Amazon has these adapters for about $9-$12 plus shipping.  Just type in "Microcell AC adapter" and you'll see about 100 of these for sale.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I bought a new AC adapter and that did the trick.

thanks for all the help

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.4K Messages

3 years ago

@swatkin - good. By any chance did you test the adapter? I'd be curious as to what it read. The ac adapter check is covered in my Quick Tips, which is a bit easier to go thru than the 33 pages of my Tech Guide.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.4K Messages

3 years ago

@swatkin - thanks!

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

Was that 16.3 VDC result from the new AC adapter or the old one?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.4K Messages

3 years ago

@Avedis53 - I understood it to mean the new adapter read 16.3 VDC.

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

Just making sure....would have needed to rethink our tolerances for a good adapter output otherwise.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.4K Messages

3 years ago

@Avedis53 - I've got three adapters that shipped with MicroCell's. All work fine connected to a MicroCell and all read 16 VDC thereabouts.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Yes the new adapter was 16.3 VDC. Everything work fine now
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…