Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
lr-co

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Wed, Mar 7, 2018 5:16 PM

Microcell - call quality issues- truncated speech, gaps in conversations

Hi there,  I had call quality issues in 2017 with the Microcell, which were resolved via a software update within AT&T's system.  Things were great after that until the last month or so, where I am now experiencing truncated speech or short gaps in listening to the other party, making it difficult to understand as it breaks up at key spots.  The other party does not experience any negative effects.  I have the microcell turned off now, as those "misses in conversation" are bad enough that it is unprofessional.  Calls without the microcell are fine, so, it is not my phone.  I have had the same phone for a few years.  Lumia 640XL

I don't believe it is my internet service either, who provides exceptional speed and quality.  Comcast.  The link to a speedtests which I ran this morning:  http://www.speedtest.net/result/7119080398

The results of a 2nd speedtest using https://www.att.com/support/speedtest/ Download speed:  40.1 Mbps   Upload speed:  5.64 Mbps   Latency:  29 ms

Have you heard of recent problems such as this?  Is there a software update expected soon?

Thanks,

Larissa

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.9K Messages

2 years ago

@lr-co - what you need to do is run a voiptest (voiptest.8x8.com) because your linked results are meaningless. All the MicroCell needs is a minimum of 3.0Mbps down and 512kbps up. What is important is jitter, dropped packets, etc. Your internet connection can be fine but if your line quality is variable, you will have voice quality issues.

Call quality issues are quite often related to your line quality, which is an ISP issue. AT&T doesn't  issue "software" updates to specific MicroCell users because they can't. They may have done something with your account but I'm doubtful of that as well unless it was phone/account specific. Some Lumina users have had a long history of issues with the MicroCell which was due to the OS. Did you update the OS prior to experiencing call quality issues? Calls outside of the MicroCell range can be fine but once within range of the MicroCell and connected, the phone may have issues.

There have not been any global MicroCell firmware updates for a long time now. The MicroCell was discontinued at the end of 2017. Support will continue, such that it is, thru this year but support for the MicroCell will become less and less because AT&T, and us, are pushing customers to WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) which offers much better call quality and reliability, if your phone is WiFi-C capable. AT&T stopped selling the MicroCell towards the end of last year and the service will eventually be retired (possibly by Q4 of this year).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lr-co

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

Very interesting. Thank you very much. I'll check further into voiptest and my ISP connection. As the Microcell is being discontinued, no need to respond further. I appreciate all the information. Take care!

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.9K Messages

2 years ago

@lr-co - as a side note, don't expect to get much help out of Comcast. They offer their own VoIP service which may not be compatible with the MicroCell at times, especially if you use equipment supplied by Comcast (I know because I too now have Comcast, but use my own equipment and WiFi-C) and they will just blame it on AT&T. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lr-co

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

Yes, I didn't expect much from Comcast. I live in a very rural area. The good news is that the one cell site's coverage has improved and now I have 2-3 bars instead of 1-2 in my home office (which of course is on the opposite side of the house from the cell site). Yah! With that, my cell calls should be fine without using the Microcell!

By the way, I have been using VOIP Skype more for meetings (I am a remote AT&T employee and they are pushing the use of Skype), and today I noticed the same symptoms as I was experiencing with the Microcell calls. I hadn't noticed it in meetings before today. So, definitely is pointing to ISP.

Thanks again!

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.9K Messages

2 years ago

@lr-co - remote areas are very difficult (see my Tech Guide). PM me if you have questions.

Get started...

Ask a new question