Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Dec 10, 2019 10:52 PM

MicroCell Activation

I just today (12/10/2019) received a Cisco MicroCell from AT&T in order to boost the signal in my home.

First of all, the tower came with no Ethernet cable or power cord. Fortunately, I had several of each item from previous electronic devices (and, yes, the power cord was a 12volt model), so I proceeded to set up the tower anyway. After watching all the lights appear, I was anxious to activate the MicroCell - only to find out that the activation site is no longer available!

What should I do? 

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

3 months ago

@mtmck1 - AT&T stopped selling the MicroCell at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell has reached its EOL. The service will remain active until AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network which will probably be around Feb. 2021, or sooner. At that point in time, the MicroCell service itself will be discontinued as well. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T and us recommend now if your phone is capable.

Are you sure this came from AT&T and not a third party? If you didn't get the ethernet cable or ac adapter then my guess is that it's a refurb or a used MicroCell. To activate the MicroCell you need to access the web-based myAT&T MicroCell Settings page. Do not use the mobile app because it hasn't worked correctly for years and the developer has not, and will not update it for AT&T. As far as the ac adapter goes, you need to insure that the adapter you are using is delivering 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load for proper operation.

I'm assuming you have a post paid AT&T cellular account and a land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber). BTW, the MicroCell is not a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, links is in my sig line) for a primer on cellular boosters. The MicroCell is a femtocell which operates on a different principle than a cellular booster.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.