Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
J

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 7:44 PM

Microcell 3G DPH153

My Microcell worked all year until 10-5-20. Now the GPS and 3G lights never come on.  I called AT&T twice and they said opened urgent tickets to get it fixed but no luck.  I chatted with AT&T today and they finally said it is not supported and so I am out of luck.  Any thoughts on how to fix the no GPS/3G light issue.  The power adapter is a healthy 16VDC so that is probably not the issue.  Thanks.

Jim

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

a month ago

The DPH-153 is the original model of the MicroCell and technically AT&T should still support it until the service is discontinued no later than Feb. 2022 when AT&T's 3G network is re-purposed. The MicroCell itself reached its EOL at the end of 2017.

If the unit has not been moved, you have not made any connection changes, you did not experience a power failure, and the ac adapter checks out ok (which you said it did), it's possible that the MicroCell has just died due to old age. I would try a hard reset following the instructions given in my Tech Guide (link is in my sig line) and if that doesn't work, you are probably out of luck because they can't be repaired and AT&T does not send out refurbished units anymore.

You can probably still find used MicroCell's on eBay or whatever but that is risky for reasons given in my Tech Guide and the fact that registering/activating MicroCell's via your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page is almost impossible now because the page hasn't worked correctly for months and AT&T has no incentive to fix it so that customers can access it externally. AT&T can still access it internally but getting Support to do that is very difficult.

WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T and us recommend now if your phone is capable. Other than that, purchasing a cellular booster may work (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line) or switch carriers.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Otto, thanks for the quick reply.  I will try the hard reset and look at your cellular booster guide as well.  I do use Wifi-Calling but my main issue is not being able to text my folks that have Android phones -- it requires cellular but I may look at the signal app for that.

Jim

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

a month ago

I use WiFi-C exclusively now in our home and have no issues sending/receiving SMS/MMS messages to our Android friends using our iPhones. In fact I received one this  morning.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

So is the 4G Microcell DPH-154 going to work and be "supported" for more years?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

a month ago

@jim_hutton The MicroCell has never been a 4G device. The black DPH-154 is still 3G only. Operationally, it is the same as the original DPH-151 only it has a smaller footprint, better radios, and the Computer port/external antenna port were done away with. Support for all the models of the MicroCell, such that it is, is the same, and service for the MicroCell will be discontinued no later than Feb. 2022, or sooner,  once AT&T re-purposes their 3G network.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

a month ago

@rjniles 

That is a wifi range extender in the pictures they are using WiFi calling if you read into it.  Yeah its a waste of 69 bucks

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

a month ago

@rjniles what @GLIMMERMAN76 said. Has nothing to do with the MicroCell. Period. The solution is to either use WiFi-C at home, purchase a real cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide) or switch carriers, but you already knew that 😉.

Get started...

Ask a new question