What is happening with 3G?
CharlieSchorner's profile

Explorer

• 

29 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 8:12 PM

Is the MicroCell Service Down?

Around mid-morning on November 1, my MicroCell went offline and has not been able to connect since. Everything else on my network is behaving normally and I've had no interruption in my Internet service. So, I was wondering if someone might know if there's a problem with the service in general? Perhaps something weather-related? If not, is there a way I can verify that my device is ironies not malfunctioning?

Thanks!

Charlie

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I am in Cary NC and the Microcell has worked flawlessly, with no downtime at all, from the day I installed it 9 months ago until 11/8/2012.

On that date it stopped working (top 2 lights now green and bottom light flashing green) and it is still not working despite numerous power cycles.

I am on highest-speed Uverse so it is not an ISP issue.

Is Microcell down throughout the entire Southeast?  Of course this region has its own "Cingular" cellular infrastructore based originally on Nortel equipment.

Is the Microcell problem occuring where LTE is breing introduced?

Are their some places in the Southeast where Microcell is still working?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

OK to follow up my own post, I believe I have fixed it.

It was a bad ethernet cable to the Microcell, I think.

I spotted it by noticing that the Microcell was not showing up as it should in the Uverse 2-wire LAN diagnostics with the original cable.

Sorry for any aspersions on my part.....

It could be too that there was a problem orginally that got fixed by the hard reset (button-switch-depress) that I did, and that I just introduced another problem (the bad cable) while trying things such as using various cables and cable arrangements.

Troubleshooting is very tricky!

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I have been having the exact same problem and resorted to buying a new microcell and it activated and give a solid connection for about a day beofre the microcell requires a reboot to connect again. I previously had no problems for 2 years. This is frustrating.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

How long does it take for the GPS light to turn green after a reboot?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Try powering down your modem , router and microcell for 10 mins.  Then power up modem wait on lights and router..wait for lights then the microcell...If you only have a modem/router combo. same senario.  Ip may be stuck and not reassigning.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Budule wrote:

Mine takes about 3 minutes with full functionality in about 10 minutes max (sometimes sooner). GPS really needs that un-obstructed view of the sky so building(s), trees, anything will cause it to take longer.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

@Otto Pylot wrote:

@Budule wrote:

Mine takes about 3 minutes with full functionality in about 10 minutes max (sometimes sooner). GPS really needs that un-obstructed view of the sky so building(s), trees, anything will cause it to take longer.

I think that is the major problem with the microcells.......they are indoors and without an external antenna how are they supposed to get an un-obstructed view of the sky?....they cant imo......some get a signal good enough to function somewhat, but not all that reliable.....you would not believe how differant these things function when they DO have that view (external antenna port was put on there for a reason im guessing)....even when i registered and re-registerd mine (several times) it would take the full 90 minutes and sometimes WAY longer......flew through it like lightning after antenna was added.......antenna needs to be in a window that isnt covered by a roof or anything and these babys are a differant beast altogether, i have not had one single problem since......

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

The instructions do clearly state that the MicroCell has to be within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the open sky. We have a metal roof with the window facing the walkway going up to the front so our "view" is "mostly" unobstructed. GPS connectivity has never been an issue with us. I agree that it would be helpful if AT&T recommended the use of an external antenna and possibly even sold one as an optional feature. The MicroCell is a good idea but with so many variables (physical position, ISP, router configs, etc) reliable setup can be problematic for some. That's one of the reasons why I recommend port forwarding to a static IP. You shouldn't have to do that but it does make for a very stable, and reliable connection even after power outages, etc. as long as your MicroCell is in a good position for the GPS lock.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I think the main problem though is people ASSUME that the GPS is locked or ok if the GPS light is solid and not flashing.....i dont think that is the case....on BOTH my microcells (and on other peoples with similer problems that have since been fixed) my GPS was ALWAYS solid green and even calls to AT & T would tell me that on "their end" my GPS was ok and locked......how could that be true if IMEADIATLY AFTER installing the antenna the thing (both of mine as i tried the other "bad" one to just to be sure) powered right up, locked on and was solid green in under 2 minutes where as before it would take HOURS sometimes.......just sayn' , if there is a problem, it seems fairly simple, and cheap....6 bucks) to add an antenna.....took me a long time to do the port forwarding (with no results) but only a minute or 2 to plug in an antenna and actually get the thing to work as advertised.......

Explorer

• 

29 Messages

11 years ago

Although I believe that I have a good strong GPS signal, and the box has worked well for over a year, I decided to spend the $6 and order an external antenna. It can't hurt and can only eliminate one more potential problem area. I really hope that the service returns to normal before I get the antenna. I'll continue to post updates.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.