What is happening with 3G?
hdang24's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 8:50 AM

Is 3G Micro Cell is still free?

We have been custormer with AT&T for a long time. Last year we moved into a new apartment complex and due to its location we experience horrible signal inside our house. Not just getting tire of stepping out side to make a call but what worst is that we have been missing a lot of phone calls from other people. I heard that AT&T gave out this unit one time in the past but are they still giving it to their loyal customers anymore?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Actually we just moved into a house couple of months ago and it sits in between 2 cell towers each only 1.2 miles away going in SE or west direction plus am within 4 miles of total of 6 towers and once i walk inside i lost cell signal and talked to ATT and not only got the unit free ($150 + tax) but am also able to get a $75 rebate so i think I have don't pretty well you just have to hope toget the right person on the phone that is willing to help you as I did and he also connected me with Mobile Rentention Customer Service to help with the free Micrcell and even with just having it on for less than 24 hrs am very pleased with it

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

It's not AT&T Corporate policy  to give out MicroCell's for free when requested. But, as we have stated many times, it's not impossible, so it never hurts to ask nicely because  you will get at least a rebate on a new unit (the black, DPH-154 model) and quite possibly, as in your case, a free one altogether.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Perhaps it's the cynic in me that says this but I can't help but think that the possibility of receiving a free Mcell is related to a customer's longitivity with AT&T and the amount of money that is being spent per month by that customer.  Customer Retention is quite aware of your account information, particularly if you've been a long-time customer and are paying a substantial amount per month.

In order to keep that cash flow coming in and retain the desireable customer, I would think a $200 Mcell would be a cheap incentive to retain customers who are paying that much per month in service charges.

I received a free Mcell (a $200 credit on my AT&T account) 4 years ago after complaining of poor service in my area.  At that time, I had been an AT&T customer for over 10 years and had 4 iPhones with an unlimited data and text family plan.  I was paying over $200/month at that time and if giving me what was essentially a one-month credit on my bill would keep me as a customer, I can see why AT&T would do so.  If I had a customer paying me over $2400/year for services and it cost me a small amount of money to keep them happy, I'd sure do it too. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Avedis53

I would certainly agree with you. AT&T's reasoning for doing things is sometimes not clear, or as clear as mud. All I know for sure is that it's not public AT&T policy to hand out a free MicroCell to anyone who asks, but it still does happen from time to time for reasons only know to AT&T. As we've said before, it certainly doesn't hurt to try, one may get lucky.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I was provided with a microcell 5 years ago for 1/2 price, then AT&T reimbursed the 2nd half, as we had no phone signal in our home. It lasted 5 years. Today we walked into an AT&T store and the manager phoned AT&T, who has ordered us a new $150 microcell for the shipping cost of $14.95.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Honestly, I think AT&T will start getting rid of Mcells soon for a reduced price or a credit as they will become obsolete in a couple years.  WiFi-Calling is superior in reliability and call quality to the Mcell IMHO.  My Mcell has been shut off since WiFi-C started up and I've had zero problems with WiFi-C.  Can't say that was my experience with the Mcell.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

It is still not official corporate policy to give out MicroCell's for free but that doesn't seem to be enforced by AT&T. If you originally purchased a MicroCell, and AT&T has determined that it is no longer functional, your chances are much better at getting one. If you don't have a MicroCell history with AT&T, chance of them giving you one for free because you don't have good reception at home is a lot less, but still not impossible. AT&T is just not consistent with their policy.

Avedis53 has a good point about AT&T slowly phasing out the MicroCell in favor of WiFi-C but until Google/AT&T get their act together on WiFi-C for Android devices I think you'll see the MicroCell around for quite awhile yet.

When this question comes up I just tell the poster to try. Chances are you will get one for free if you've been a previous customer. At the very least, you will probably get a discount.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Considering the percentage of users that have Android phones, I think AT&T will include them sooner than you think.  Given that the other carriers already provide WiFi-C for many Android phones, it would be foolish for AT&T to ignore Androids for very long.

Besides, there are plenty of Android apps that provide VOIP and SIP calls like GrooVeIP, KakaoTalk and MagicApp (of Magic Jack fame) that one could use if the Mcell doesn't work out for them for whatever reason.  There are some drawbacks for these apps but they are out there and some are free.

Any time a layer of electronic complexity (ie., the Mcell) can be removed from the home network, I can't help but think that reliability will be improved and the Mcell/router/gateway hardware incompatibility issues that we've seen with the Mcell will disappear.

I don't think the phaseout of the Mcell is that far off in the future, IMHO.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Google is not the problem with wifi c as it's all att's fault. They could have had wifi calling on apple and Android at the same time if they would have cared to.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

What ever the reason is, Google, AT&T doesn't really matter at this point. The fact is that it needs to be done, and supported, by AT&T without having to resort to third party apps.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.