What is happening with 3G?
L

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 25th, 2020 2:34 AM

I have an Indian vodafone phone

I use a Vodafone phone when in the U.S.A.

I have a very weak cell signal where I live.

Can i use an AT&T microcell to boost the signal at home?

Dan

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

Probably not because of the IMSI number. The MicroCell requires the correct IMSI number to reach the AT&T Mobility Servers. The MicroCell is intended for the U.S. domestic market so phones purchased overseas don't have the correct IMSI coding, at least for the MicroCell.

The MicroCell is not a celluar booster. It is a femtocell (mini cell tower) that broadcasts a 3G signal that the AT&T phone connects to and then uses your internet connection to reach the AT&T servers. AT&T does not sell the MicroCells anymore because the MicroCell reached its EOL at the end of 2017. The service will probably stay active until AT&T transitions away from their 3G network sometime around Feb. 2021. What is recommended now for poor in-home coverage is WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable and is approved by AT&T for WiFi-C on their network.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

Just to follow up oh, if you are using AT&T for service your phone is not eligible for Wi-Fi calling. You will have to replace the phone with an AT&T Android or a US model iPhone in order to use Wi-Fi calling on AT&T
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.