Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Mar 4, 2016 9:17 AM

how much does it cost to add a microcell

What is the exact cost of adding a microcell to my plan? I know they run around 150 dollars, and have a 75 dollar rebate, but is there a monthly charge as well?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

9.1K Messages

4 years ago

The current $75 mail-in rebate will only be available to active AT&T subscribers who purchased an AT&T MicroCell between 11/18/2014 – 11/17/2016. 

The rebate must be postmarked by 12/17/16, received by 1/1/17 and the rebate Form can be printed from the following link: Click here to open PDF

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Official Solution

raphaelulz

Former Employee

• 

258 Messages

4 years ago

Nope, there is no monthly fee! And you can get the Microcell even cheaper by buying them used from eBay for as low as $25, though you will have to make sure they've been disconnected from the previous owner's account and that they aren't malfunctioning "as-is" units and all that. They might also not be covered under the 1-year warranty anymore.

By the way, if you have the old Family Talk plan and use a ton of minutes, you might benefit from the Microcell unlimited talk plan for a montly $19.99 charge. It lets you call for as much as you want while you're connected to the Microcell without draining your minutes!

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

4 years ago

As stated above, there is no fee associated with the MicroCell other than the intial cost. Most data plans have unlimited calling so the extra monthly fee for that is not necessary. Buying a used MicroCell is an alternative but I'd read the section in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig) about that. There are things you need to be aware of. You might also want to check out the basic requirements for the MicroCell to make sure that you can meet those. Bascially a land-based internet connection (DSL or cable) and specific router requirements.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Seeking someone to confirm my understanding:

In my home, we never get more than 2 "bars" showing my wireless signal strength; most often we get 1, with relentless bad reception. Poor reception, broken sentences, and having to say things repeatedly are what we face more often than not. (Visitors to our home who use the largest competitor don't suffer through that problem).

Some have suggested I switch providers; others have suggested I get a microcell.

What bothers me about the microcell is that, if I understand things correctly:

- I'd have to spend money to purchase the microcell in order to get more "bars"/better connectivity, (costing me money because AT&T provides a weak signal where I live),

- the maximum number of lines that a microcell can handle is 4,

- it could/would interfere/slow down/have some other impact on my internet access,

- others close by might benefit by "piggybacking" off my microcell - and thus my internet connection - while it costs me the price of the microcell,

all because AT&T doesn't provide a strong enough signal in/around my home.

Given those conditions, it seems a microcell is a questionable "benefit", if any.

Are my suspicions correct?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

4 years ago

If you have documented coverage issues in your area, in other words if AT&T sees that there are other MicroCell users in your area, you may be able to get a rebate which I think is $75(?) so basically half the cost. If you area has lots of MicroCells in use then AT&T may give you one for free. That is definitely not corporate policy but it is a possibility so it doesn't cost you anything to ask.

The MicroCell can handle up to 4 or 5 simultaneous calls at one time. However, you can 10 AT&T phone numbers associated with the MicroCell which means that any one of those can use your MicroCell when they are within range.

Nobody can "piggyback" onto your MicroCell because one, they have to have an AT&T cellular account, and two, their phone number has to be added to your MicroCell account (there is no charge) because that's how the phone is identified as being an approved user.

There should be no impact on your interent service but that all depends on how robust your service is and how you use your phones. If you have 5 people using your MicroCell at the same time, and they are all downloading YouTube or playing games, then yeah, there may be an impact. Keep in mind that the MicroCell is limited to about 3-5Mbps download speed which is more than sufficient for voice and minimum data usage. What we recommend is that you leave your WiFi on all of the time so voice is limited to the MicroCell and data is handled by your WiFi connection. The caveat to that is some phones will handle that better than others.

The MicroCell is designed for land-based internet only (DSL or cable). Satellite and WiFi broadband will work, but it is not reliable and is not supported by AT&T.

You can purchase a used MicroCell from places like eBay but you need to be very careful. There is a section in my  Tech Guide (see link in my sig) that covers the pros and cons of puchasing a second hand MicroCell.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Otto Pyloy,

A BIG THANK YOU...that was very informative, helpful, and timely.

Our son left one of the white & orange units behind when he graduated college and moved out, but that was a few years ago. I'm inclined to pursue the newer model.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

4 years ago

Technically, there is very little difference between the white model and the new, black DPH-154, other than a smaller footprint, a newer board design, and the elimination of the Computer Port and the external antenna port. They are still 3G only.

I would get the new DPH-154 only because of the newer board design and it's new Smiley Wink With the older white model what we are seeing is the failing of the ac adapter which causes all kinds of strange issues. The adapter can be replaced but until that is determined to be the problem, it can be very frustrating. The adapters are slightly different between the white and black models. The difference is very minimal but the MicroCells seem to be  finicky with their power requirements.

timbuk2okc

Scholar

• 

324 Messages

4 years ago

I live in the heart of the Oklahoma City Metro, about 8 blocks from a new AT&T Cell Tower and I still barely maintain 2 bars, but I'm not buying anything. Works great outside or in the neighbors house.  Also worked much better before smart phones.  ...  back when they had external antennas on phones. AT&T should supply these devices for paying customers who need them to utilize their services.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

4 years ago

The lack of indoor coverage is most likely due to building material interference, especially if you live in the heart of metropolitan area in an apartment or high rise.

If you have documented poor coverage you may be able to get a MicroCell for free if you ask nicely. That's not a guatantee and certainly not AT&T policy but it does happen from time to time. However, depending on where you live and how your internet is connected, you may still have issues even with a MicroCell.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

My Aunt lives out in the country and has never gotten good service. When we try to talk her call will drop the call add Lease 4 or 5 times in a 30 min. It is so frustrating! This is the only way for her to communicate with the outside world as she can not afford both a a land line and cell phone, not the mention if she had an emergency she would be able to get help. Here is the guestion, she does not have wifi or the internet, but she does have Direct tv. Can she still use the the microcell in this instance?
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

4 years ago

No. The MicroCell requires an internet connection to reach the AT&T Mobility servers to transfer your calls via VoIP. A cell booster would work for her cell phone but they can be pricey initially.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just don't understand why it is my responsibility as a long standing customer, in the middle of a city, to have to supplement a lack of cell coverage.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

3 years ago

@CoppellTexas - talk to the FCC. They are the ones who approve the frequency licenses and coverage areas. You being a long standing customer has nothing to do with it. If you're in an area of known poor in-home coverage call Support and plead your case. At the very least you may get a MicroCell for half the price. Your other option is to purchase a cellular booster or use WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone supports it. WiFi-C is free and in most cases has better voice quality and reliability than the MicroCell. It is as good as your WiFi coverage and your phone.

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

3 years ago

Coverage is what it is. There are areas in many metro areas with poor indoor coverage due to interference from external sources, building material or simply being too far from the tower.

If a phone has WiFi-Calling then MicroCell is not needed.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

3 years ago

@David606 - WiFi-C was mentioned in post 14 but it doesn't hurt to drive that point home.