Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Jan 30, 2018 8:38 PM

How do I Get a Microcell

Cellphone is just about unusable at my home. How do I get a microcell from AT&T?

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 years ago

@Alcar1 - you can't. AT&T discontinued the MicroCell at the end of last year. You may be able to purchase a used one on eBay but there are caveats (see my Tech Guide, link in my sig line) to that. Keep in mind that official support for the MicroCell will be becoming less and less this year until AT&T pulls the plug entirely.

Your best bet is to use WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable of that. WiFi-C offers better call quality and reliability than the MicroCell. You still need to have a post paid AT&T cellular account to access the WiFi-C network but it is free, other than the cost of a WiFI-C capable phone. Your other options are to purchase a cellular booster (CelFi or weBoost) if you can get at least 1-2 bars of cellular signal, or switch carriers.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

I don’t mean to dispute your word, but I have no idea what I’m to do when AT$T pulls the plug completely on my Microcell. I Do have a Wifi-calling compatible phone, XR, but I too can not get any service at all using it, maybe 2 bars if I’m lucky. With my MC, 5 bars in the bathroom, and that is in the middle of the apt. Now instead of my 6S Plus I replaced it with a XR. Not a bit of trouble on MC with 6S, but all kinds of trouble with new phone. Not to mention that I kept Wifi calling enabled on my 6S constantly. Now they told me to keep it disabled if I wasn’t gonna to be in constant use of it with XR. One last thing, shouldn’t there be something on the top of my phone letting me know that my MC is enabled? “M-cell” was the last time if I remember correctly. Thanks ya SOOO much.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

@vbnannyg

I leave WiFi-C enabled all of the time on my iPhone 8 Plus and have zero issues. Works perfectly at home. However, it's best if you disconnect your MicroCell (power off) so that your phone doesn't get "confused" on which signal to connect to. The MicroCell's 3G signal or your WiFi signal.

If you have WiFi-C (not WiFi) disabled on your phone then the M-Cell alpha tag should be visible at the top of screen where the signal strength indicator is. Keep in mind that WiFi-C and WiFi are two different things. Which MicroCell do you have and what does the light pattern look like?

Feb. 2021 or sooner is the projected time when AT&T will begin to transition away from their 3G network. At that point in time, the MicroCell service will be discontinued. Sales of the MicroCell by AT&T were discontinued at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell had reached its EOL.

Apartments can be challenging because of the overlapping WiFi signals that surround you. Depending on your WiFi router/gateway, you may have to experiment a bit to see if there is a better bandwith channel for you to use.

Your options are WiFi-C, a cellular booster, or to switch carriers.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for answering my question. I currently have AT&T prepaid so my i5s does not have the “enable wifi calling “ feature. I did get the Dingtone app and it’s not bad. That will have to do for now. Thanks again for your reply! 😄
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

2 years ago

@Alcar1

Your phone is not Wifi calling capable on ATT, even on postpaid.  You need an iPhone 6 or newer (SE, 6s, 7, 8 or X). 

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 years ago

@lizdance40 - I know you listed the SE but you should be a little more clear because readers will see iPhone 6 and not read any further.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

2 years ago

?   Not sure what you mean, (other than folks don’t read.).

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 years ago

@lizdance40 - I think we should be a little more clearer about which phones are WiFi-C capable because the MicroCell/WiFi-C questions are going to become more common and quite often I found that while folks may read, they seem to stop when they see a model number and not read the qualifiers. Just a suggestion.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

2 years ago

Well the full list is definitely going to require reading.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Android/Updated-List-of-WIFI-Calling-Capable-Phones/m-p/4977615#M80308

And on the sales pages filter by feature. 

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/smartphones.html

Note, the brands Apple, Samsung, LG. No other brands have Wifi calling.   Non AT&T androids will not have Wifi calling.  Prepaid will not have Wifi calling.  

2B584B26-8CBE-41BC-97F8-EFC524826760.png

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 years ago

@lizdance40 - hopefully the OP will come back and check the list.