Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
rjniles

Scholar

• 

172 Messages

Mon, Aug 10, 2020 12:13 PM

How 3g turn down affects the Micro Cell

Apparently AT&T will turn off the over the air 3g signal in Feb. 2020 and may start reallocating some 3g infrastructure prior to that. Why does this mean the demise of the 3g Micro Cell which does not use over the air resources. Other than AT&T no longer desires to support the Micro Cell and is recommending WIFI calling as a alternative. My issue with that is the will not allow customers with hardware compatible BYOD phones to use WIFI calling or VoLTE. My take on this is, if unless that stance changes I will be moving to T Mobile.  I am an AT&T retiree and get a sizable discount on my post paid account so this is not a change I take lightly.

Responses

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

a month ago

I actually look for ATT to kill the microcell before 2022.  You actually can't activate a phone on ATT now that is not VoLTE compliant for ATT.  There is a way around that if you are already a customer.  Your lumia 1020 is not VoLTE certified and since microsoft killed off windows mobile it never will be.  The 640XL does get VoLTE tho as it was ATT branded and later in the cycle of phone life.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

a month ago

@rjniles Hey! Long time no hear from. I agree with @GLIMMERMAN76 . The twilight date for the 3G network is Feb. 2022 but I think AT&T will let it die on the vine before then. There are lots of issues now with accessing the myAT&T MicroCell Settings page, which AT&T is well aware of, but finding the personnel to fix the issues is difficult at best because key members have been reassigned to other priorities and the MicroCell is at the bottom of that list. That means as we get closer to next year and beyond, MicroCell Support (whatever that means) will become even more useless and when technical issues arise, which they will, fixing them just won't happen.

AT&T is already going thru the registered MicroCells and checking which ones have been active and which ones haven't. I got a notice last month that my MicroCell account was going to be deactivated on August 15th for lack of use . It had been sitting in its box for over 3 years (I've been using WiFi-C exclusively) so I just plugged it in and have been using it now to show activity before the service is discontinued. I'd like to keep it active for testing purposes and troubleshooting as long as I can. I will take it offline at the end of the month and go back to WiFi-C.

Unfortunately, your choices for improving in-home coverage is limited to upgrading your phones to WiFi-C, purchasing a cellular booster, or switching carriers.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question