Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Wed, May 14, 2014 5:06 AM

HELP - 3G light is flashing, microcell was previously working fine

Hello,

I figured it was worth posting here so I have yet to have success with anything else. 

Background

I live in an area almost exactly inbetween three AT&T cell phone towers, so subsequently my phone is constantly switching singnals from one tower to the other giving me very inconsistent service.  After diagnosing the problem with AT&T about six months ago they sent me a micro cell free of charge, and it worked absolutely fantastic until....

The Problem

About a week ago my microcell's 3g light started flashing, this had happened once or twice before so I performed a simple reset but it did not fix the problem like before.

•   I tried resetting my modem, router, and microcell
  •   hard resetting my microcell for 30 seconds
  •   de-activing and re-activating my microcell twice
  •   checking my power cord to make sure it was the right voltage
  •   getting a replacement microcell sent to my house
  •   setting up my microcell in the alternate arrangement (modem-->microcell-->router)
  •   updating the firmware on my router

and none of these fixed the problems.

My current internet is about 30mbps DL and 10mbps upload so that isn't the problem

The ports on my router are all opened, and nothing has changed to effect that

After going extensively through the forums I am kind of at a loss of what to try next.  Any suggestions from people on the forums?

I am currently located in the East Bay of California (Alameda, CA)

Thanks very much.

-Frogis

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

6 years ago

If you know for sure that your ISP hasn't made any changes (upgraded their network boxes which wouldn't necessarily result in an update or upgrade being pushed to you) then all you can do is what you just did, pm CustomerCare. This issue has been very difficult to isolate becuse it's not localized to one specific region or Service Area so the network engineers and IT are having to trace these problems one by one.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OkieSaytar

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

Hi....I'm in very rural NW OK and I have been fighting this issue since Mar 2014. Our Microcell worked fine for over a year and the 1st part of March the 3G light went to flashing, nothing had been changed at my location...NOTHING. I KNOW what the problem is, but either AT&T support is totally stupid or absolutely incompetent.

This year most area's are moving into PHASE II of the 911-E911 system....The database's are being updated and from what I can tell is that at least 30% of the location data is either wrong or totally inaccurate....

I have convinced no less that 3 of AT&T support personnel of the problem (in my case at least), but they are unable to correct the incorrect location data or they are simply ignoring my problem. Our first support Gal hung with the problem for 2 months and if she could have fixed it I am sure she would have..but.....fixing it required someone at a higher level to do it.....They let her down as badly as they have let me down.

I now have my network on a Pfsense Router/Firewall that allows me to open or close anything

I want. I have 1WAN and 4 LAN ports. I configured one port as a DMZ and opened and NAT'd all ports out and in open (yes I did IPSEC port 500 that is one of their default NAT's). It is configured for OUT, any dest, any port, any protocol. IN any dest, any port, any protocol, translation: interface address. DHCP is enabled for interface, device gets good IP in DHCP table. I have watched the graphs RDD for activity and the microcell is trying to ping on a regular basis with no return....I have checked the interface and firewall logs and IP's shown in it are the same or resolve to ****akami something in NJ. I ping www.att.com and get a quick response, no lost packets. Sooooooo the Microcell is open to the WWW and it still won't complete activation.

I did take (this is a replacement Cell as they thought the first was bad) the Microcell into a relative's house in OKC and it activated properly in less than 15 min...bring it back out here to the boonie's and nothing, nada.

My IP (at the Central Server End) has sat and watched the Microcell ping several ATT address's in San Antonio and seen return pings from them....the IP put us on a Static IP and insured that NO ports were blocked, either in their office or at the DMark at my house. I have a 6mb down link that is fed directly to the House fiber optic line...all the lines in our area are Now Fiber Optic....got plenty of good fast, Clean bandwith.........

I am getting fed up with the TOTAL INCOMPENTENCE of ATT and their Engineering Dept, as a geek in High School could run circles around these people.....Heck half of them don't even really know WHAT a MicroCell is, little lone how to troubleshoot it.

I can't or they won't get me on the phone with a Celluar Network Engineer to work with....I have an Associate Degree in Electronics Engineering, so very little he would say I wouldn't at least understand and maybe he (or she) would understand what I am telling them, cause their lower level support sure the hade's don't.

The Microcell is the ONLY thing plugged into this interface....And this is the reason for the high end Router/Firewall setup (besides the fact that my speedtest down is bumping the 6gb :smile). This is so that I could have an interface setup with EVERYTHING wide open, but can't find anyone in ATT that has a clue on how to access this box internally and see what it happening during the power up and activation phase. I can't imagine a large Tech company that has NO one capable of such a minor task.

I am guessing that their engineer's are TOO GOOD to pick up a phone and talk or...to pickup the tools necessary to do REAL work.

Sign me,

Totally Disgusted

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

6 years ago

Nobody can get on the phone with a network engineer so you're not alone there. However, it is not their job to do specific troubleshooting with individual customers.

GPS coordinates are sent to the locational databases at AT&T so that the coordinates can be matched to the physical address which is the address of MicroCell's location at the time of the Initial Activation. I don't know the process as to how, or how often, AT&T updates the database but that has been an issue in the past, especially with rural locations. Unfortunately correcting the database, if that is the problem, involves AT&T's IT Department and probaby Mobile Engineers and that can take some time. The fact that the MicroCell (one of them) worked in a more urban environment indicates that the MicroCell is working as designed, but just not at your location.

The one way to determine if it is the database issue is to deactivate/reactivate your MicroCell. If you eventually get an error code (I'll have to lookup the code numbers) that says something like "GPS coordinates do not match the address" you know that the problem is the locational database.

It's not uncommon to ISP's to blame AT&T because most ISP's one, don't understand VoIP and two, it's not their problem (as they see it).

Typically if a MicroCell has worked fine at one location and all of a sudden the 3G light starts to blink green, and you havn't made any hardware or firmware updates on your end, and your setup hasn't changed, then it's something that the ISP has done knowlingly (updated network boxes for example) or unknowingly ( an upstream switch has failed). Or, the MicroCell iself has failed but you've already proved that isn't the case.

If the 3G light is flashing red, that could indicate a hardware failure but you've shown that isn't the case by successfully moving the MicroCell to a different location than your house and having it  activate successfully.

You only mention port 500, what about the other 3 ports that have to be open as well? You haven't really given us enough information on your setup to help you, so........

Check out the Tech Guide (link in my sig) for detailed explanations of Initial Activation, router reqirements, and possible troubleshooting.

Basic requirements:

IPSec Passthrouth enabled

DHCP enabled

Block Fragmented Packets disabled

Only 1 device handling NAT duties

Ports 123 UDP, 443 TCP, 500 UDP, and 4500 UDP (public and private ports) must be open

The MicroCell must also be placed within 18" of a window and at least 2' away from a WiFi source.

You may have already done all of this but your post has not made that clear.

My setup is for port forwarding (the above ports) to a statically assigned IP adress for the MicroCell based on the MicroCell's MAC address.

If your router is separate from your modem, then you can connect the MicroCell directly to the modem (alternate connection) and see if the issue goes away. That bypasses the router altogether so as to rule it out.

Fast download speeds are only important in that they must meet the minimum requirement for the MicroCell. VoIP is touchy at times and you can have TB speeds but if there are packet losses, fluctuations, etc, VoIP won't work well or at all. The fact that you now can't connect to the AT&T servers for activation means that there is something amiss with your connection between you and AT&T.

You can try a hard reset of the MicroCell (instructions are in the Tech Guide), which is different than just a power cycle and see if that makes any difference. That forces the MicroCell back to default settings so that it has to go thru the entire Initial Activation process again.

It could be that during the night time maintenace that AT&T does, when the unit reset itself, the location of the MicroCell could not be confirmed by GPS or a nearby tower and that's why the unit failed to activate (blinking green 3G light). Maintenance times and updates are never announced not what the update was for, if that's the case.

I would send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your issue, what you have done to correct it, the trouble ticket number you were assigned (if any), your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and you location (most important in your case).

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Avedis53

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

I would agree that going through the deactivation/activation process should generate an error if the address entered during the registration process doesn't match the Mcell GPS.  This would most likely indicate a discrepancy with AT&T's location database and reality and we've seen this numerous times, especially in rural areas.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

OkieSaytar

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

Quote:

Nobody can get on the phone with a network engineer so you're not alone there. However, it is not their job to do specific troubleshooting with individual customers.

In Cases like mine involving THEIR database and Network this should be required protocol, at the very least they should have some lower level Tech's trained to do this.

GPS coordinates are sent to the locational databases at AT&T so that the coordinates can be matched to the physical address which is the address of MicroCell's location at the time of the Initial Activation. I don't know the process as to how, or how often, AT&T updates the database but that has been an issue in the past, especially with rural locations. Unfortunately correcting the database, if that is the problem, involves AT&T's IT Department and probaby Mobile Engineers and that can take some time. The fact that the MicroCell (one of them) worked in a more urban environment indicates that the MicroCell is working as designed, but just not at your location.

We had one lady that stuck with this issue for 2 months, she talked to their Engineering, she pulled up Google Earth...I showed her the Exact GPS coordinates for our location.....they told her they could change them, but in 24 hrs the location data would go back, in otherwords it would not be permenent. She also talked with my IT Tech at the ISP multilple times and they ran through the checklist of items (she got them from their engineering) that could cause problems. I have a small ISP here and I have worked with them several times, they are very personal here....Dave one of their tech's had me disconnect everything on my network and we plugged only the Microcell into the router (with the mIcrocell IP set as the DMZ) he sat at his console in the Server Location and watched for 45 minutes the Microcell accessing all the ports (and a few others) at a ATT location in San Antonio, TX.......like I said the Microcell is talking to ATT system.

The one way to determine if it is the database issue is to deactivate/reactivate your MicroCell. If you eventually get an error code (I'll have to lookup the code numbers) that says something like "GPS coordinates do not match the address" you know that the problem is the locational database.

Since March this has been done over 50 times.

It's not uncommon to ISP's to blame AT&T because most ISP's one, don't understand VoIP and two, it's not their problem (as they see it).

SEE ABOVE REPLY

Typically if a MicroCell has worked fine at one location and all of a sudden the 3G light starts to blink green, and you havn't made any hardware or firmware updates on your end, and your setup hasn't changed, then it's something that the ISP has done knowlingly (updated network boxes for example) or unknowingly ( an upstream switch has failed). Or, the MicroCell iself has failed but you've already proved that isn't the case.

Yes contacting the ISP and working with them was one of the first things I did...even before calling ATT......ISP also at that time made sure all ports at DMark and in the Central Servers thru to the Backbone lines were open and put me on a Static IP.

If the 3G light is flashing red, that could indicate a hardware failure but you've shown that isn't the case by successfully moving the MicroCell to a different location than your house and having it  activate successfully.

Nope have never had a red light on either the original box or replacement. Only problem has be flashing Green 3G light.

You only mention port 500, what about the other 3 ports that have to be open as well? You haven't really given us enough information on your setup to help you, so........

Sorry I ASSumed ......Yes 500 UDP, 123 UDP, 4500 UDP, 443 TCP&UDP all have port forwards aimed straight at DMZ Microcell is on.

Check out the Tech Guide (link in my sig) for detailed explanations of Initial Activation, router reqirements, and possible troubleshooting.

Basic requirements:

IPSec Passthrouth enabled

Pfsense has OpenVPN integrated in software so IPSec passthru default behavior as long as firewall rules set. Nice guide by the way (did check it months ago), just bad that ATT doesn't back you up.

DHCP enabled

Always is and was............(although one of their Techs said it wasn't necessary or even for it to have an IP assigned......yes I too thought he was wacky)

Block Fragmented Packets disabled

Checked they are allowed

Only 1 device handling NAT duties

Ports 123 UDP, 443 TCP, 500 UDP, and 4500 UDP (public and private ports) must be open

SEE ABOVE ON PORTS:--Pfsense is only active DHCP server and only NAT device in Network...................so far. (smile)

The MicroCell must also be placed within 18" of a window and at least 2' away from a WiFi source.

Old radio technician here, live in a house with Tin Roofing and wire mesh in walls....FIRST thing I did was purchase and install an External GPS antenna on roof!

You may have already done all of this but your post has not made that clear.

Sorry after almost 6 months of this and over 50 communications with various ATT techs and departments and NONE of them really having a clue or the ability to access the MicroCell or the Supposed Database I am for one more than mad...so mad in fact that I am getting stone cold emotionally and don't care if I make anyone mad at ATT.....first thing Monday I am calling the corporate offices in Dallas, and someone that has Pres or VP before their name, I'm not bashful....if that doesn't get results then my next step is a personal visit with Microcell in Hand to someone in Corporate..............I am only 300 miles or so from Dallas, I used to drive twice that everyday for several year's, just a short hop.

My setup is for port forwarding (the above ports) to a statically assigned IP adress for the MicroCell based on the MicroCell's MAC address.

This has been done on and off several times, along with deleting the microcell from the network, hard reset's (multiple), redoing the configuration and trying to re-authorize the setup. This has been done by ATT personnel (seems it the ONLY thing they know how to do) multiple times and by myself MULTIPLE TIMES!

If your router is separate from your modem, then you can connect the MicroCell directly to the modem (alternate connection) and see if the issue goes away. That bypasses the router altogether so as to rule it out.

No modem here just my Router/Firewall......only thing else is the FIBER OPTIC Termination Box (or in old school da DMarc)............The CAT6 cable is plugged directly into this interface.

Fast download speeds are only important in that they must meet the minimum requirement for the MicroCell. VoIP is touchy at times and you can have TB speeds but if there are packet losses, fluctuations, etc, VoIP won't work well or at all. The fact that you now can't connect to the AT&T servers for activation means that there is something amiss with your connection between you and AT&T.

I have run speedtest several times...I am nearly always running at or above 5.5 mbit downlink speed and at or above 700 kb uplink (usually around 9 to 1.1 up)

You can try a hard reset of the MicroCell (instructions are in the Tech Guide), which is different than just a power cycle and see if that makes any difference. That forces the MicroCell back to default settings so that it has to go thru the entire Initial Activation process again.

Been thru that Process .........hmmmmmm maybe 20 times in last 6 months.

It could be that during the night time maintenace that AT&T does, when the unit reset itself, the location of the MicroCell could not be confirmed by GPS or a nearby tower and that's why the unit failed to activate (blinking green 3G light). Maintenance times and updates are never announced not what the update was for, if that's the case.

I'm a night owl, most of my testing starts around 6 pm at nite thru to sometimes 6 am. Other half has done it from (she's early bird) from 5 am thru noon. We've tried so many time AT so many times........

Although we only get one bar, maybe two (only that 10% of time) by standing out in the front yard or walking on out and stand in the middle of the state Hwy. The 2 towers that are closest to us are at 3.5 to 5 miles away and we are in a low area close to a river...both towers are far away and at a grearter altitude...(old radio tech here remember...this part of the equation I KNOW) so unless they have a more than average downtilt to their antenna array's (and they can only down tilt so much before it is counter productive) we not goina get no better.

I would send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your issue, what you have done to correct it, the trouble ticket number you were assigned (if any), your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and you location (most important in your case).

Have several times, they KNOW our location I have given them the GPS coordinates while standing at my front door with my GPS device.

As for trouble ticket # , I not sure as they have tried to close the case sending me text saying the problem has been resolved at least twice now.......We have to call them and remind them that the MicroCell is STILL NOT WORKING or activated So the problem IS NOT RESOLVED. They are trying now (since the one gal that hung on 2 months or more gave up) to dump this case and ................just go away boy, ya bug us.

This type behavior is typical of con artist.

As I have said before this entire problem is due to the fact that ATT is getting their 911 database information from any Tom Richard (the dirty filter won't take the Nicname for Richard) and Harry from anywhere without ANY verification or really any set procedure...and as a result the information in their database's is highly inaccurate and fraudulent. If you live in a congested urban area some massive error's might be corrected by the cell tower's doing a dynamic correction of location, but when you have massive error's in a sparsely populated area with weak to non existant tower signals if the error is too much there is NO correction dynamically. I know of at least 2 other ATT customer's up north in Kansas (same phone and ISP) that are or have had this problem. Dave the IT guy actually went to their house's and brought the Micocell into town and  plugged them in at the office.................both fired right up and activated.........he took them back, plugged them in......................guess what...............they wouldn't activate and had that flashing 3G light.

ATT IS aware of this issue, but since it would require them to actually DO something, beside set back and collect revenue, that's probably never going to happen.

I have also been in contact with OK state Director of Law Enforcement Communications. He is on the OK state 911 commission. This keeps up and I'll push on him a little more to push the investigation he is doing for me harder...........the step up for him is to Directly send the information to the FCC. Now it may take a few year's (I'll be gone from ATT), but I will continue to see it pushed until ATT gets off their posteriar's and does something constructive.

I know they have line and system Technicians available (fewer now than in past) and in six months they could have had one come out AT least once with the proper equipment and run the lines from my house to my ISP and from My ISP thru to ATT backbone line's to see if their was a problem...........hardware wise I don't believe there is a problem.

The problem is in the Database Collection, Verification, Input and Implementation area...............It's a Human Software Problem, actually should be the easy fix, they are making it hard on themselves.....this is sheer mismanagement.

Anyway I appreciate the replys.....hopefully you guys will come across a way to get ATT to address this problem the Right Way....I'm sure not having any luck.

Thanks Again

Steve

Edit: This problem would be easy to fix so that lower level tech's could do it.......The software activation code sequence could be modified to send the authorization routine to newly created options file that could be easily edited by support personnel (Please don't let them touch anything else!) to enter verified and corrected GPS location. In otherwords make the software look in the newly created GPS correction file FIRST, then if can't find any correction return to processing the activation script.  Or it could if an error in location is sent back, THEN it could go to the override file and check for updated information. This would allow VERIFIED LOCATION & GPS information to be easily inserted and at least this type Problem would go away. Their system is far from perfect and they should be aware of this and have some procedure like this to manually correct the system, this is basic 101 Network Engineering.....THIS is in ATT's area's of expertise or they have the people to contact and do this....to a software nerd this type edit of an activation script is a piece of cake...

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

6 years ago

I will send a message to the Admins with a link to your post. Make some noise that way and we'll see what happens. Sounds to me like something has gone amiss with your MicroCell Service Area because outlying Service Areas seem to work fine. I'll do what I can.

Just as a side note, for E911 calls I always have the 10-digit Emergency Services number programmed in my cell phone and NEVER use 9-1-1 unless I am out of my area code. Using the 10-digit number is just like using a landline where the call goes directly to the dispatcher instead of being routed via your Highway Patrol or State Troopers dispatcher first, like all cellular emergency calls do. However, if you don't have a working MicroCell in your home...... Smiley Sad

Avedis53

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

Sounds like you can continue beating your head against the wall and hope something eventually happens or you might go another route and get a signal booster instead of using the Mcell.  Cel-Fi and Wilson Electronics have decent (read expensive) equipment.  You can always return them for a refund if they don't work for you.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

OkieSaytar

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

That's it in a nutshell..............if I was outside in yard and was hurt, couldn't or was unable to crawl to the house and all I had was my cell with me..............well I'd be dead by the time they could finally find me.....

I talked with the AT&T's wireless 911 dispatcher's back month's ago and they agree that with the flaky signal's from at the most 2  distant tower's, the signal would bounce back and forth to which ever tower might be stronger at that particular instant.....all of which would make their triangulation of even my approx location within a 2 mi radius impossible....they need at least 4 towers or more to get very close. 3 good signal strength tower's and they thought they could get within 900-1500 yards or so.

That might work with a nuclear bomb, not an emergency responder.

Oh, they'd find me eventually, at least the coroner would anyway.

Thanks for the message to the Power's to be.......I sent them one too....included the Case number I had.......It'll be next week before they get through reading the file ................

EDIT:

Guess your contact didn't read the whole file yet. Got an email from Her. Sent her a nice long heart felt reply (loooong letter, mucho long)

Thanks again

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

6 years ago

The Admin that I messaged is not who contacted you. She won't get the link to your post until she comes in tomorrow morning. If you sent a PM, that's probably who contacted you or it could have been a mod reading your post. I will continue to follow-up as best as I can.

Again, if your have cellular coverage, with or without the MicroCell, it's always best to use the 10-digit Emergency Services number when at home. This is true for any cellular service.There is no triangulation at that point because the call is treated as if it origniated from a landline. And if your local Emergency Services is configured correctly (you did say they were upgrading their system) the call goes directly to their database and your location pops up on their screens almost immediately, there is no delay. Using 9-1-1 will route the call to the appropriate service who will then re-route to the call to your Emergency Services dispatcher. But, no MicroCell, no service....

I can certainly understand your frustration but do keep it as civil as possible when you talk to AT&T. Not that you haven't been so far, but this may take time if there is something amiss with your ISP and/or AT&T. I have seen an upstream switch fail before, resulting in the same symptoms you are describing, and it took the ISP a long time to figure out where it was and correct it. That, unfortunately, is only something the ISP can do, AT&T can't.

OkieSaytar

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

True about ISP. Our's Use's 2 T-1 or 2 Lines One from Kansas Net and One from Comcast.

They run most everything over Kansas Net and if system volume gets over a certain amount they let it fall over on Comcast...They don't really trust Comcast for Primary. So our Internet goes thru both at one time or another so I really doubt that it could be 2 switches. One in each provider.

IF their is a problem UpStream I believe is will be in Either Mae East or Mae West Main Trunks Network or a Branch Network.

This is why I said they need to get a field Network Engineer out Here and Run Test from my line to My IP, and then Go to the IP's Central Office and Run Test from their Head In down the two Trunks. That would Narrow down quite a bit of territory and might at least point to the area of trouble...........IF it is a Network Connectivity Issue........Which I think it is NOT. The Problem I fear it Lies in AT&T Backend Database's and Reference Database's....Either They are Inaccurate or someone on the BackEnd has a Corrupted Database.

And after my experience's I am convinced that AT&T doesn't have the trained personnel to find the issue...............at least not until there is a total failure of the Backend problem and everything has to be rebuilt from scratch.

In Which case they will be forced to Pay outside parties to Fix. AT&T and entities are No Longer a Technology Development Leader.....they are always in catchup Mode now. Just like someone else................Leading from Behind.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

6 years ago

They're not going to send a Field Engineer out to your house or ISP so don't plan on that. It's not AT&T's responsibility to make sure your connection between you and AT&T's servers is clean. You know the MicroCell works by taking it to a different location. They can't tell another ISP how to run their connections to AT&T. I've seen ISPs (Charter for example) do upgrades on their network boxes for specific areas which affects AT&T's VoIP service. We were fortunate enough at one time to have one of Charter's Network Engineers work with AT&T to correct the problem. But, as he explained it to me, the upgrades had to do with newly implemented security measures and was not allowed to tell me exactly what they had done nor could he mention that to Charter customers. It wouldn't surprise me if something is going on (upgrades, what ever) between Kansas Net and Comcast, if they are sharing load, so somewhere along the line a port has been blocked or configured wrong.

It could be a corruped database segment on AT&T's side. That has happened in the past. In which case it's IT that has to fix it, not Field Engineers. You could deactivate/reactivate your account and see if you get the "GPS coordinates don't match address on file" error message. If not, then it has something to do with your connection between you and the AT&T servers.

EDIT: I see reading back up to your earlier posts that you have already done the deactivation/reactivation process "over 50 times". If you didn't get the address error message ( I don't think you said you did or didn't) then that points back to your ISP and/or your connection. Doesn't rule out a corrupted database but if it worked before......

OkieSaytar

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

Hi, Well only upgrades done here (and I checked) prior to this happening were months earlier and didn't break anything.......only upgrades done on my ISP line's since is on my Line to make sure everything was open.

They are now playing the "It's your IP Card" again. I guess Monday I will call corporate.

Here is my latest message to them:

On 7/27/2014 12:41 PM, ATT Social Care wrote:

That's all fine...........Now how about an IP or Domain Name I can ping on to insure That I have open what needs to be here.........All required ports are Forwarded and NATed, Firewall Ruled Wide Open to MicroCell Static IP. Outbound NAT has 2 Rules........1st Is for port 500 for ISAKMP, the 2nd is Source DMZ Lan, Ports All, Destination ALL, NAT address WAN, NAT port ALL.
My ISP has already opened ALL ports on my Line (and upgraded some equipment from here to them)

I don't know how More I get this thing open for send and Receive short of running a Cat6 cable straight into the Authorization BackEnd.
But trying to troubleshoot from this end without a defined Target is like trying to Walk a Maze blind folded with both hands behind my back with my shoe laces tied together.

I don't have the proper equipment to properly run Line Checks from this end....that's your issue, you SHOULD be able to punch in my STATIC IP and access the box as long as my ports are open, forwarded and NAT'd. I guess i could do some checking and try to set up the DMZ with Transparent Bridging to the WAN, but from what I've read that is not really Necessary (or should not be necessary)

Ball back to you.

P.S. I sent them another email Below:

This is my Static IP 205.XXX.XXX.XX..............it is on HTTP for the time being. Have a Network guy bring it up....I have when out of town, it is easily accessable. Heck, I'll even make a special passwork for to to Access the Interface......let your Network Guy Check my Settings..............He can even ping out from the Firewall Router to Check things. Have him run my Ports, to check, surely you are capable of that????

But I suspect your people will try and dump it all back on me and the ISP again. Trust me, I won't be mad if you can show me where I messed up. I am NOT a network professional I'm entitled to be imperfect on these issues. Your organization's Engineer's do not have that luxury...they have Professional
Training.

I will give them access to my Admin Interface on the Firewall/Router. Having that IP they should be able to ping any port on my system to check. It will also allow them to visually check the network configuration over all..............guess what, it doesn't require and Network Engineer to come out..................he can do anything from his office that I can do here...all remotely.

Like I said this system is not your Garden Variety Router. More Options, more access.

Now I forgot that I have previously tunneled through a VPN to other server locations and tried to get Micro Cell to authorize off their system. If its my ISP, then it's a WHOLE lot of them having the exact same problem. Got the Exact Same Response's from their system's too, not Just my ISP.

If I could ping the domain name of their server, then I'd know if the ports are open at my End and in between. If they are not then I'll go to the ISP Backend Server's and Hook it up try pinging from there. If everything pings through, then we are open. If it still doesn't ping from there, then it is something upstream.

This would accomplish the guilt so to say of upstream. Then my ISP would have definitive proof and could push the upstream to investigate.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

6 years ago

You're free to call Corporate if you think that will get more traction. I can't do anything with my contacts until Monday. If your service connects to Comcast it's possible that that's where the problem may lie, and good luck getting Comcast to do anything for you if you're not a customer of theirs. By an chance, do you have Vonage?

OkieSaytar

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

Not sure about traction, but satitraction would go a long way. Not in any real hurry, I may wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to Call Corporate...... a few more ducks to line up yet. My Call our Corporation Commission First (they set rates for all the carrier's) and register my complaint's first. I do appreciate the help though. Wondering if smoke signal's still work?

Going to talking with my ISP (and landline provider) Monday or Tuesday, he's gotten in to my old Netgear Router several times to look around in the past (with no effort at all) that's one reason I know AT&T could do much more serious troubleshooting, even without having someon physically come out.......THEY just flat don't want to and it's very obvious.....going to do a little head meeting with them soon, if I can, maybe he'll have time to poke around in this new one.

Their store (they also run a Radio Shack associate store) also carry's the Wilson Celluar Amps---that work with nearly All Carrier's..wink....wink. and they have them in stock. Not sure how to pay for it, but something's going to have to give soon. If you can't work with them....work over them.....funny thing is ..this Firewall/Router is my main router and right now is running video on 2 TV's, 3 computers, has been running since last reboot 19 straight days, no lost packets, no dropped packets ......and everything is running smooth as glass.

So my gut tells me that AT&T service for me is in it's twilight year's.............or days.

If the equipment wasn't so expensive and the difficulty of finding a reliable place to install phone interface equipment I'd just get my tech license, load up on 2 meter ham gear and go....we have bookoo 2 meter repeaters in this state... more range and at least as good of coverage.

AT&T's lack of any REAL concern and expertise is disappointing....back in the 70's and 80's I use to Service and install Dictation Equipment for Dr.'s, Lawyer's Hospital's, Large Corporation's and such. The Dial in Dictation Always had to Interface with the (SW Bell at the time) Phone Carrier's Specialized Interface Equipment, and I worked side by side with many of their field tech's and they'd bend over backward's to help you make sure something worked..and worked right. They and their supervisor's (who were mostly Real Engineers) were some great, sharp cookies...................They have really gone down hill...at least to me.

Yea, heard that about Comcast.....that's exactly the reason my ISP said they are only backup and high useage overflow when Kansas Net gets to 70% they start slipping traffic over, which mainly occur's on weekend's here....they don't trust their system either. We only have 2 REAL IT techs here and their pretty sharp pencil's and evidently they spend some time with the kids on the call in help desk....as they can walk their way around most regular problems quickly and efficiently...much more so that the majority of AT&T help desk support.

Vonage? Thats a VOIP carrier isn't it? No don't have them, mainly use Skype (which I don't really care for, much more so since Microidiots bought them) for long distance when at the house. The Cells are mainly for our Dr.'s to contact us as out here we are not always tied to the phone in the house or close and don't want to miss important calls.

Will try to work with AT&T a little longer.........if possible.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

6 years ago

The only reason I asked about Vonage is that there can be a problem if you try to use Vonage with the MicroCell on the same line.

Again, AT&T is only responsible for what hits their servers. The requirments to do that are well known and published. Any changes that happen to your network that interferes with that is not AT&T's responsibility.

It's apparent that all you really want to do is bash AT&T, and not let us try to help you. I will still try to see if we can do anything to help you next week but given your attitude that it's all AT&T's problem, I have my doubts that we'll be able to come to a resoution.

Get started...

Ask a new question