What is happening with 3G?
Frogis's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, May 14th, 2014 5:06 AM

HELP - 3G light is flashing, microcell was previously working fine

Hello,

I figured it was worth posting here so I have yet to have success with anything else. 

Background

I live in an area almost exactly inbetween three AT&T cell phone towers, so subsequently my phone is constantly switching singnals from one tower to the other giving me very inconsistent service.  After diagnosing the problem with AT&T about six months ago they sent me a micro cell free of charge, and it worked absolutely fantastic until....

The Problem

About a week ago my microcell's 3g light started flashing, this had happened once or twice before so I performed a simple reset but it did not fix the problem like before.

•   I tried resetting my modem, router, and microcell
  •   hard resetting my microcell for 30 seconds
  •   de-activing and re-activating my microcell twice
  •   checking my power cord to make sure it was the right voltage
  •   getting a replacement microcell sent to my house
  •   setting up my microcell in the alternate arrangement (modem-->microcell-->router)
  •   updating the firmware on my router

and none of these fixed the problems.

My current internet is about 30mbps DL and 10mbps upload so that isn't the problem

The ports on my router are all opened, and nothing has changed to effect that

After going extensively through the forums I am kind of at a loss of what to try next.  Any suggestions from people on the forums?

I am currently located in the East Bay of California (Alameda, CA)

Thanks very much.

-Frogis

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. I'll contact Dmitriy and let him know what I was informed of by AT&T Urgent Care to get his input.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have comcast.  Thanks for the reply, I have also contacted custom service and nothing has helped up to this point.  Not sure what to try next.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

We started having Mcell Problems last week after it working for two years. I thought the unit died since the bars were flashing green.   I bought a brand new unit from the ATT store and the new unit wont work either... it says activation has failed.   I deauthorized the device and reauthorized it.  I did a hard reset by holding the button for 20 seconds. I did a direct connection to the internet modem but nothing works.  I opened up all the ports on my router even though it was working a few weeks ago on my old mcell and that did not work.  

It connects and downloads the software and verifies the GPS.  It finally gives me a FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network through your broadband connection. Activation Error. The green bars (3G) blinks green. 

I have Comcast in Colorado

I PM'd support, but thought I would post this public if someone has any ideas.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

My MicroCell had been working flawlessly for over a year now.  Returned from 4 days out of town and the 3G light was flashing.  Tried all the solutions that were mentioned here (power cycle, hard reset, factory reset, deactivate/activate, etc.), still nothing.  No one was home to make any modem/router changes while we were gone, so the problem must be on the AT&T side.  We have always had CenturyLink, again with no issues until this happened.  We live in a rural area and without the MicroCell we have no AT&T coverage. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

It would appear that what ever the activation/connection is that was fixed a while back has returned. I'm on top of this as is the Admins and support so the more complaints that come in thru CustomerCare the faster those who know will work on a fix. As with all companies who have support, there is a certain level of complaints that have to be received before the problem gets looked into by other than the first 3 levels of support so keep those pm's coming into CustomerCare.

As to the rumor of a 4G/LTE MicroCell in the works, that's what it is, just a rumor. Nothing is in development. And if it was, Customer Support would never know about it until there was a shipping product. If any of you are told the same thing by support, please pm me with the name of the support person you talked to.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I received verification that the information I was given by an AT&T rep was erroneous regarding a known issue with MicroCell dropping calls on LTE phones, and a new MCell in the worlds.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, I know Smiley Wink Hopefully AT&T will put some engineers and/or IT guys on this soon.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Just to add fuel to the fire, recall that Cisco (maker of the AT&T Microcell) bought Ubiquisys (UK company) a year ago.  Ubiquisys' femtocell expertise in LTE hardware no doubt will eventually lead to a new generation of femtocell products available in the US through Cisco and perhaps end up as the successor to the 3G Microcell.

But that's most likely a ways down the road......

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Yeah I remember that. There's always hope. However, I think the compartmentalization of AT&T is so bad that most literally don't know what's going on within their own company so getting reliable information from one department to another is difficult at best. The Admins didn't even know about the roll-out of VoLTE next week in select markets Smiley Sad

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I liven in the Central Sierra foothills.  My microcell quit working on Tuesday, May 6th.  I went through the usual turn off/turn on sequence, got help from tech support, etc, but to no avail.  AT&T sent me a new microcell (used actually, in a box, with no protective packaging material).  Ran through the sequence, it didn't work.  Talked to AT&T again, they sent me another mirocell, and it doesn't work.  I did everything all of you have done to get it to work.  We have been without our phones for 1 1/2 weeks with no info from AT&T about when we'll have service again. 

While I've been fairly happy with the response from customer support, I am really unhappy that it took a week of microcell outages and customer calls before AT&T submitted a tech support ticket to get to the root of the problem at their end.  It's not like this is the first time it has happened.  Shame on you, AT&T.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.