Rising Star
Helpful 1
Celestial 50!

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

Wed, Feb 24, 2021 1:19 PM

Has M Cell been turned off?

OTTO, Starting yesterday morning my Micro Cell has been down. I have powered it down several times and verifies the power supply is proper. I have the old white MC, the top 3 lights are solid green, the bottom light is flashing green. I don't dare do a hard reset as I can not access the MC management page.

Does this mean that AT&T has turned down the MC network. Are other users still able to use the MC?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

1 m ago

@rjniles 15.7 (16VDC) +/-0.5 is right where a new adapter is supposed to be. Your original adapter is just on the edge of dying altogether. Thanks for getting back to us.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

83.6K Messages

2 m ago

More likely the device itself has a problem.  The usual cause is a faulty AC adapter. You may be able to get another year out of it if you replace the power supply. You may be able to get a replacement on Amazon.

AT&T has set its 3-g Sunset date as February of 2022. 3-g may have turned off in your area but that should not prevent the MicroCell from continuing to work.

AT&T has been sending out emails to those who are not using their MicroCell telling them that the device will be unregistered/turned off on AT&T's end.

Have you received such an email? 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
rjniles

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

2 m ago

Otto, my power supply is reading11.6 VDC open  circuit. It is rated for 12 VDC and I thought 11.6 would be close enough. I know you used to have a power adapter trouble shooting guide but that is no longer on line.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

83.6K Messages

2 m ago

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

2 m ago

@rjniles The 12v adapter should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. Once a load is applied, the voltage will drop but will not go below 12VDC. If your adapter reads 11.6VDC with no load, it's bad and you need to replace it with one that meets the 16VDC no load requirement.

When AT&T moved to the new forum platform, which is terrible, they lost the link and for some reason haven't been able to restore it, at least the last time I checked.

Time is slipping away for the MicroCell. The service will be gone by this time next year, if not sooner, so you need to start looking at other options.

rjniles

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

2 m ago

Otto, thanks for the feed back I see a power adapter on Amazon  that I will order. I will update when I install. 

I am aware of the impending demise of the MC but trying to milk it as long as possible.

I have other options in place (Google Voice) but frankly none are as convenient as the MC.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

2 m ago

@rjniles Yep. The MicroCell was a very trusty and reliable old friend. I have about a half-dozen, from every iteration sitting in my "electronics" closet that have been given to me from various sources over the years. Most of them still work but they are just going to make interesting bookends. I've already taken a couple of them apart (those don't work now) to play around.

With regards to the MicroCell Settings page, it has been down for well over a year now and only sporadically works. AT&T has long since pulled the resources to keep it up and running and have moved them to other projects. They will not spend the time and money to get it back up and running for a product they haven't sold in years and that is going to be discontinued in less than a year.

(edited)

rjniles

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

2 m ago

An interesting development. I ordered a replacement power adapter from Amazon to be delivered on Monday. This morning a noticed the MC is working, the bottom light is solid green and  I made and received calls. I am reluctant to unplug the adapter and see if the voltage has changed from the 11+ volts i measured earlier. When the new adapter arrives, I will check the voltages and post again.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

2 m ago

When the adapter starts to fail, all kinds of odd things will happen. Test the new adapter with a voltmeter to ensure that it meets the "spec" so if you do end up having to use it, you know it's working optimally for the MicroCell.

rjniles

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

1 m ago

Here is the update I promised. Received the new power adapter, unplugged the suspect adapter and the voltage was still 11.6 VDC open circuit although the MC was still working. The new adapter measures about 15 7 VDC open circuit. Plugged in the new adapter and the MC came back up in about 10 minutes (about normal).

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

21 d ago

I'm in the same situation - DPH-154 (black) microcell working flawlessly for the past 4 years.  Then all of a sudden, flashing 3G light.  Tried soft and hard resets.  No change. We barely have any service in our house (1 bar if we're lucky).  Called ATT and they have an opened a ticket. They were supposed to send me a status update email last night (none received) and either call or text me today with status (none received).  When I talked to the 1st tech he told me he was not "seeing" the microcell but my router saw it and assigned a DHCP address.

My power supply is reading 12v open circuit. I have tried several other power supplies that are labeled 12v and fit the microcell connector. Most of them are also 12v open circuit (from Netgear routers which do power up those routers).  One of them read 14.5 v open circuit.  I've tried all the various power supplies I have that are labeled 12v and have a connector that fits but still no joy.  

All of my router's outbound ports are open and I've even tested by dropping my firewall for a hour or two.  When I've used 'wget' or 'curl' to connect to https://femtocell.wireless.att.com (port 443) I get a connection but I also get a "certificate invalid" error (just like I get when connecting via a browser).  Could it be that the microcell refuses to connect to the server with an expired certificate?  Assuming that's the URL that the microcell connects to. 

What is the Amazon part number that was ordered to replace the power supply?  I might give that a shot since our phones are old and don't support wifi calling (other than via Google Voice and WhatsApp).

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

21 d ago

Looking through Amazon, there are tons of power adapters for the DPH-151/3 (white) microcell.  Does anyone know if the specs are the same (voltage, amp, connector barrel) for the white & black microcells? 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

21 d ago

@hsweiss 

your only prolonging the inevitable.  Before the end of the year the microcell will quit working anyway. 

As to your adaptor question if I remember correctly they are the same for both. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

21 d ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 

Agree with you 100%, but I've got 4 phones that would have to be replaced and its would be like herding cats to get everyone on the same page to get phones. It would be a lot simpler to get the microcell working again and have the "leisure" of getting new phones over the next few months rather than in an immediate crash exercise.  Plus at this point, I'm not sure that I even want to stay with ATT but I have not gotten off the dime yet to shop around (although T-Mobile's pricing and lessee faire attitudes, e.g., any unlocked phone will work with wifi calling as opposed to the very limited set on ATT). 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

21 d ago

@hsweiss The power adapter should be reading 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. The specs for the DPH-154 power adapter are: Switching Adapter, 100-240 50/60Hz 0.5A, Output: +12V, 1A, Efficiency Level V. Any ac adapter that meets or exceeds those specs will work with a barrel connector.

You can not connect directly to the AT&T Mobility servers with or without a valid certificate. If there is an issue on the AT&T end it will not be corrected because AT&T has moved most of the MicroCell (backend, Settings page, etc) resources to other projects.

AT&T MicroCell Support will be useless because the MicroCell is going away permanently by Feb. 2022, if not a bit sooner. You need to start consdering other options like WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable, purchasing a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line), or switch to another carrier who offers better service in your area.

Get started...

Ask a new question