Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Apr 5, 2020 5:40 PM

dph 154 microcell looses network signal.

Microcell network light will just start blinking green. It can happen every few hours or every few days. Most of the time its a steady green light and it works fine. The other lights are steady green and never change. When it starts we have to unplug it and plug it back in. The network light will be steady for awhile until it starts blinking again. Which could be hours or days later. We have unplugged and plugged the modem and router. No change. Network strength is very good. Again all other lights stay a steady green. Nothing else in the house has a problem. Att couldn't help and told us to switch to wi fi calling. That works for calling but not so good for texting or mms. We have either very poor or even non existing cell phone signal. We've been dealing with this for months but it seems to be getting worse. Any solutions or thoughts?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.2K Messages

2 months ago

AT&T never knew a darn thing about a device that they sold. However the device has been discontinued for over 2 years, and will eventually useless when 3-g shuts down as it is a 3-g device. No replacement is planned. At that time you will have to use Wi-Fi calling.

I assume you live in an area with no coverage and are using iPhones, but not everyone on your contact list is capable of receiving imessage.

Android phones use Wi-Fi for both call and text. IPhone for whatever reason does not use Wi-Fi for text but can only use iMessage. I do not understand why the limitation on Apple devices.
I'm sure our resident expert will check in - OttoPylot!

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

iPhones work just fine for iMessage, SMS, and MMS (sorry @lizdance40 😉). If you leave WiFi enabled on an iPhone (which is different from WiFi-C) there are very few issues. The only time I've encountered issues is when I'm in an area that for some reason can't reach the Apple servers for iMessage or it's an Android phone that is either trying to reach me or vice versa. That being said, the messages do go thru but are late. Send as MMS/SMS needs to be enabled on the iPhone. There's not enough information to assume the OP's phones are iPhones.

The flashing green 3G light means you either have no connectivity to AT&T's Mobility Servers, there is a hardware failure, or an update that didn't install correctly. Being as AT&T hasn't updated the MicroCell in years it's probably one of the first two. If you have a DSL connection, there is probably way too much jitter on the line to maintain a solid, 24x7 connection. If it is phone line related, then only AT&T can correct it which probably means a truck roll, and that's not gonna happen given the current global situation. You can have a solid internet connection but too much jitter will mess with the MicroCell causing it to have sporadic connectivity.

Check the ac adapter with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. If it doesn't, replace the adapter with a good one and see if that improves the connectivity. A failing adapter can affect the radios which affects connectivity.

As mentioned above, WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what we recommend now if your phone is capable. If it is, disable the MicroCell, enable WiFi-C on your phone and see if reception is improved. You don't want your phone to be trying to decide which connection, the MicroCell's 3G signal or your home WiFi signal to lock onto and stay locked on. You can not preferentially set your phone to use either one.

The MicroCell service itself will be shutdown once AT&T begins their transition away from their 3G network, which should be sometime around Feb. 2021 or sooner so start planning ahead now. Your only other options besides WiFi-C will be to purcahse a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line) or to switch carriers.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

one thing i founf to help in my area is to turn on airplane mode on the phone and stick to wifi-c. We have one bar in parts of the house and the changing connections makes things wierd. I just have to remember to tunr the airplane mode off when leaving the house. I've unplugged the microcell in the meantime and it's in my electronics recycling box. I may try it at my parents, but i think it's time to upgrade our last 3g phone at my parents.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.2K Messages

@OttoPylot "The only time I've encountered issues is when I'm in an area that for some reason can't reach the Apple servers for iMessage or it's an Android phone that is either trying to reach me or vice versa."

This is actually the exact situation I'm referring to when I said that iPhones don't Wi-Fi text. As you say if you can't reach Apple servers, or if you are texting an Android it doesn't work. I assume it doesn't work because it's using iMessage, and without iMessage and iPhone cannot send a regular text through Wi-Fi calling.
I actually looked this up one time because someone claimed that you could not use Wi-Fi text with an iPhone. As an Android User I thought they we're confused because it works fine on Android. Turns out they were right. I will see if I can find the Apple support article.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

@lizdance40 You can wifi text to Android devices I do it all the time at work. I am only on wifi calling at work.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

@lizdance40 I use WiFi-C exclusively at home. I have zero issues using iMessage to text an Android user. It may take a bit longer for them to recieve it but they eventually do. The message on my iPhone is a green background so that's an indicator that the iMessage is being sent to a non-iPhone user. The same is true if I receive a message initiated from an Andoid user.

We have some friends who live a few miles from here at a heavily wooded lake area. They have AT&T and iPhones. Sometimes from their house iMessages won't work (probably can't reach the servers) so their messages come to me as a green message. Other times they are the usual black on gray, and they too have WiFi-C. As long as the phone is set to WiFi-C (if needed), WiFi is enabled, and Send as SMS/MMS Messaging are enabled there's no problem.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

@glameres Airplane mode disables the phone's cellular radio so that it can not connect to the MicroCell and just uses your WiFi signal if you have WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) enabled. That can be useful if you have other phones who are not WiFi-C capable and need the MicroCell. Disabling the MicroCell (powering it off) is best if you plan on using WiFi-C exclusively. Otherwise, the phone may get "confused" as to which signal to logon to (MicroCell 3G or WiFi) and that can cause call quality issues.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

@OttoPylot ​​ FYI it's not a iMessage if it's not to a iPhone. It's just a plain old text message in the messages app.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76 you are correct. I just meant that I use the iMessage app to send/receive messages to non-iPhone users without any issues.

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

Thank you for your responses. We are in a valley with almost no cell phone, tv, or even radio reception. We have iPhones and android. Our internet and land line are through Spectrum. Signal is over 300 mbps. Att was around 35. When we are on the microcell, calling, texting, and MMS works. When on wi fi calling the android will not send or receive MMS. I was told by att that MMS will not work unless you have a cellphone signal. My goal is to find a solution to that problem or keep the microcell working. Thank you all again.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

@plunger74 Spectrum has a long history of MicroCell-related issues. Either they were blocking ports, issues with upstream switches, or excessive jitter on connections. If your power, ethernet, and GPS lights remain a solid green, the ac adapter checks out, and the only issue you have is a flashing green 3G light, resulting in loss of connectivity, then it more than likely is Spectrum. It is possible that there could be an issue with the AT&T Mobility servers but given the history I've seen with Spectrum I'd suspect them first. AT&T can ping your MicroCel from their end but given what is happening now with CV-19, getting a hold of someone in Support who knows what, and how to do that is going to be difficult. You can have solid internet and flaky MicroCell connectivity with excessive line jitter. There are online line quality tests that you can do that might give you an idea of your line quality. I used to use voiptest.8x8.com but I think they've changed their address to just 8x8.com.

As to the Android/WiFi-C and MMS issue, someone else will have to address that as we use iPhones with no issues. Remember, the MicroCell service itself will probably be shutdown around Feb. 2021 or sooner so the clock is ticking on the MicroCell.