What is happening with 3G?
Col.TomParker's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 2nd, 2013 3:18 AM

Closed

Does Microcell work with Satelite?

I just got a Microcell-useless as a horn on a motorcycle! I have Dish Network Internet! I live in rural Mississippi! Does anyone know of anything that works?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@Col.TomParker wrote:
Did not work with Dish Net(which is horrible on many levels).But the God's smiled on us and we know have AT&T internet and VoIP.

That's good to hear. Been a long time since you've been around.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Dish Network, and DirecTv don't support internet, so, the microcells would not work over them.

My sister had huges net satalitte, and it worked, for the most part. Lots of dropped calls, etc. but is did work, which was a blessing as there are no local cell towers where she lives.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Yes. And that's the point we are trying to make. The MicroCell can work with satellite but it is not reliable nor is it supported. The post by the Excede employee is unfortunate because it's going to lead to a lot of confusion.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

It's all well and good to come in and make that statement but I'd like to hear specifically what Exede's "few adjustments" were.

How exactly do you compensate for the unavoidable latency of satellite internet connections?  Unless you've moved ViaSat-1 from geostationary orbit (22,236 miles) down to the ISS altitude and can somehow maintain geostationary orbit, or have developed a wormhole to fold space/time, Exede can not avoid the delay that is introduced by the distances that have to be traversed.

Have you ever tried to carry on a two-way conversation with, let's say, a half second delay or an echo?  The brain can't handle the confusion.  That's satellite VOIP in a nutshell....at best!

Oh, and what happens to the poor people who hit their data cap for the month and you choke their bandwidth?  The Mcell isn't going to function and those people won't have any phone service until the beginning of the next month.  I could go on about satellite internet shortcomings but it's irrelevant.  Any femtocell (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) will not function dependably with satellite internet.  You can't defy the laws of physics.

All I have to do is go the the forums that discuss Exede's customer service to know that if you want negative experiences, you don't have to come here to find them.  Exede has some of the worst customer satisfaction ratings I've ever seen.  You have plenty on your doorstep already. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Could not have said it better myself. Doubt we'll see him around here again.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

That guy has pretty big *** to come into another ISP's forum and try to drum up business.

I hope we do see him again as I'd like some answers.....not going to hold my breath though......

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Gotta love a lively forum! The only message I was trying to convey was this: some AT&T Microcell users who are also Exede subscribers told us something had stopped working. Our engineers figured out what it was and fixed it. For the limited number of AT&T subs who are also Exede subs, the takeaway is that if you really need a Microcell, the assertion that it simply doesn't work for satellite appears to be not quite accurate. If you're concerned that it might not work, then I'd suggest sticking with the service you have. If you don't have Exede, this doesn't concern or affect you in anyway.

PS: Don't knock VoIP over satellite until you've tried it! The latency isn't that big a deal.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@AlexExede

I have used your service and it stinks.  Slow and latency out of this world.  Customer service was worse than comcast.

Now bringing up that it works with your service is a bold statement without telling all of us what your engineers did to overcome latency issues.  Voip is effected by latency thats a proven fact.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/QoS

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Pay no attention to AlexExede. He's just trolling to keep the MicroCell customers they have and yes, their service is still considered one of the worst in the industry.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Exede must be pretty desperate to troll for customers here.....

And you still haven't answered my question regarding what you've done to resolve the unavoidable latency problems associated with satellite internet.  What you stated that your engineers worked on isn't related to your technology's inherent shortcomings.

Latency isn't a big deal?  Are you saying that with a straight face?  Latency is everything with regards to VOIP quality.  Looking at some of the pingplotter results of Mcell users on Exede on the DSLReports forum show numbers in excess of 2,000 msec. 

One would have better luck with two tin cans and a connecting string than trying to carry on a conversation with a 2 second delay.

There was also one user on that forum who was proud of the fact that he only had 25 msec of latency....until he realized it was a jitter measurement instead.  That level of jitter on a VOIP connection would render the voice quality totally unacceptable.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.