Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Nov 3, 2016 10:25 PM

does at&t offer free microcell signal booster

Poor reception in house and read about free signal boosters from att and currently an att customer

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

a year ago

@2945Clubmoss  - please do not post personal information because that can lead to all kinds of issues.

AT&T stopped handing out free MicroCells years ago. It was done initially as a promotional campaign. After that, there were instances where Support sent a free MicroCell to a customer but those were done on a case by case basis.

AT&T discontinued sales of the MicroCell at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell has reached its EOL. Support will continue for the time being but the service itself will also be discontinued as soon as AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network to newer technologies. The MicroCell is 3G only and there are no plans to upgrade it or continue with development. What AT&T and us recommend now is WiFi-C ( WiFi Calling) if your phone supports that.

If you have an iPhone 6 or newer you have a phone that is capable of WiFi-C. However, you need to have a post paid AT&T cellular account (just like for the MicroCell) to access WiFi-C on AT&T's network. All you need to do is go to Settings -> Phone -> WiFi Calling and go thru the setup procedure (which should be nothing more than entering your address for the FCC E911 requirement ). If that doesn't work, you may need a new SIM card so you'll have to go to your local AT&T corporate store and ask. There is no cost for WiFi-C but you may have to pay for a new SIM card if necessary. You will also need a robust WiFi at home because WiFi-C is subject to some of the same issues that affect WiFi in general.

You can still find used MicroCell's on eBay, CraigsList etc but there can be issues with that. See my Tech Guide (link is in my sig line) for information on purchasing a used MicroCell. If you go that route you will need to have a land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber) as well as the post paid AT&T cellular account. I wouldn't suggest you do that though because there are issues with used MicroCells as well as potential setup problems being as AT&T is phasing them out.

If you don't have iPhones that are capable of WiFi-C, and do not want to upgrade your phones, then your only other options are to purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is also in my sig line) or switch carriers.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Thank you very much for your help. I was not aware of WiFi C and I have an
iPhone 6s so you have solved my problem. I can't thank you enough for all
of your help:) Rich in San Luis Obispo
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

a year ago

@2945Clubmoss  - you're welcome. If my answer helped you then flag it Accepted as Solution. That way others with a similar issue can Search and find the answer.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

Here is a different issue.  We are using the LTE at a high school football stadium and do not have access to WiFi.  The location is at the edge of the range of three towers and was an open files when the towers were built.  Service is extremely spotty and ATT does not acknowledge the problem although multiple calls have been made and logs provided.  This is a public high use location.  What can we do to get a micro cell established at the location to accommodate the location and amount of data being used 3-4 days per week during events.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

8 months ago

@swbfhs - first of all, the MicroCell is not a cellular booster. It is a femtocell which broadcasts a 3G signal that your phone locks onto and then uses your internet connection to reach the AT&T Mobility Servers. It is intended for home use. You need to have a post paid AT&T cellular account to use the MicroCell and a land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber). The MicroCell is/was intended for voice only and is limited to about 3-5Mbps download, which is plenty for voice and some data (SMS/MMS, etc).

Second of all, and more importantly, sales of the MicroCell by AT&T were discontinued at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell has reached its EOL. The service is still active and will remain so until AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network. At that time, service will be discontinued as well. For in-home use, and as a replacement for the MicroCell, AT&T and us recommend WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phones are capable. I don't think WiFi-C would work in your situation though.

AT&T did at one time offer a cellular booster for company environments but it was pricey and did not get very good reviews.

Given your situation, a cellular booster may help if you can get at least one to two bars of consistent cellular signal. To see if a cellular booster may work for you I'd suggest you read my Cellular Booster Guide (link is in my sig line) as a primer for what cellular boosters can, and can not do.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.2K Messages

8 months ago

@swbfhs   Also the microcell is a limited use/user device.  You can signup (I think) 10 devices to access for talk and text.  It can handle data, but there is no point when it’s handled by the same internet connection the m-cell is using.   Our m-cell covered our house and into the yard, but it’s not going to cover a football field unless it’s sitting in the center.  

As @OttoPylot  pointed out, it requires an internet connection and you said there is no Wifi.  

A cell booster only requires power to boost an existing signal.   I don’t believe there is any booster sold that is going to handle a stadium worth of people.     That would mean bringing in portable cell towers (COWS) when there are events.  

What you are describing is a  temporarily congested network.   Or maybe a fringe area.  Mark the spot app, if used by enough people, might get action.  

Or people can put away their dog gone cell phones and enjoy the game.  🏈

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

Just need limited access for a few people to handle card transactions. We are in a fringe and it is be highly congested. Perhaps a couple of macro towers could be slightly adjusted to cover the area better.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

Thanks I will check out the link. Perhaps ATT can make some tower adjustments as well as the area is growing quickly.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

8 months ago

@swbfhs - it's not easy to get AT&T, or any carrier for that matter, to increase signal strength/propagation. It involves the FCC and local governments, ad naseum, to accomplish that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 months ago

Hi, I have an unlocked at&t phone I'm using in another Network. I also gave my last phone to a friend, when I got this new version. She loves the phone but at her house she has really poor reception. Sometimes she has emergency calls only on her phone. I told her I'd look into a signal booster. What do you recommend? We're both using the same network, but our phones are at&t. Our Network uses the same towers though.

Thanks. Sara 

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc]

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.2K Messages

7 months ago

The original solution has become dated and no longer an accurate solution.  I have marked @OttoPylot more recent reply as correct.  

please folks, read the solution post.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.