Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Nov 3, 2016 10:25 PM

does at&t offer free microcell signal booster

Poor reception in house and read about free signal boosters from att and currently an att customer

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

You mentioned it doesn't cost anything to use WIFI calling but, it must use data off your internet which for some has limited due to cost and using a dish for service. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.8K Messages

2 years ago

@NetteNut77 - there is no service charge to use WiFi-C so no additional charges appear on your bill. Data charges are the same as if you were using a cellular tower. However, there have been reported issues of using WiFi-C if your internet connection is satellite or wireless broadband. The MicroCell was designed for land-based internet service only and even tho it would work with satellite and/or wireless broadband, it was very sporadic so AT&T would not support those types of connections. It most likely had to do with excessive lag and jitter, which doesn't necessarily affect your internet connection but will affect VoIP.

WiFi-C on the AT&T network requires a WiFi-C capable phone and a post paid AT&T cellular account.

You might want to consider a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link in my sig line) if WiFI-C is not going to work for you and you can get at least one to two bars of cellular signal.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.5K Messages

2 years ago

@OttoPylot

I think @NetteNut77 has a capped home internet plan and is concerned that using Wifi calling is going to eat into his low cap.  I don’t know how it works well enough.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.8K Messages

2 years ago

@lizdance40 - a capped data plan could certainly be a problem. We could use a little more info from @NetteNut77. A cellular booster might help but that's a pricey option.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

WiFi calling doesn't work properly.  If your cell phone has 1.5 bars it won't use WiFi calling, but as we know 1.5 bars isn't good enough to make a good call.  So with not enough cell coverage we're still 'Can you hear me now' people.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.5K Messages

2 years ago

@SkymanIX wrote:

WiFi calling doesn't work properly.  If your cell phone has 1.5 bars it won't use WiFi calling, but as we know 1.5 bars isn't good enough to make a good call.  So with not enough cell coverage we're still 'Can you hear me now' people.

I use WiFi calling in clients homes and this is not unusual.  Forcing it by switching airplane mode on, then WiFi on does the trick.  

It’s not ideal.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.8K Messages

2 years ago

@SkymanIX - If you have a strong enough cellular signal, the phone will preferentially seek to connect to the cellular signal and not the WiFi signal. WiFi-C is meant to be used when there is no cellular signal or a very weak one. This is more of a function of the phone than AT&T. If you want to use WiFi-C at home, and whether you have the MicroCell installed and running, or you still get a weak cellular signal, as @lizdance40 mentioned, you will need to put the phone in Airplane Mode to disable its cellular radio. This is covered in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig line) as well as general instructions for setting up WiFi-C (which is very easy).

Even with WiFi enabled on your phone, the phone will not switch automatically to WiFi-C until you set it up and check to see if it works. WiFi-C is subject to the same issues that plague WiFi in general so you need a robust WiFi at home for it to work properly. If not, your only other options are to purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line), switch carriers, or possibly try Google Voice.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

When I set up wi-fi calling, I lost wi-fi connection on my tablet. Is this normal?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

No. WiFi should stay, with WiFi Calling enabled the WiFi icon will change
to a different icon, but will still be there.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.5K Messages

2 years ago

@dwendelb wrote:

When I set up wi-fi calling, I lost wi-fi connection on my tablet. Is this normal?

Wifi calling is set up on phones and has no effect on tablets.  

Wifi calling is not Wifi.   Your tablet is using a data connection to sync with your phone if using number sync.  

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.8K Messages

2 years ago

@dwendelb - what @lizdance40 said. WiFi-C protocols are totally different than WiFi.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

DO you still have the microcell boosters for better reception within a home and home area? Sometimes we have little (1 bar) to no service with At&t on our phones and it would be great if we had service. I/We have been with At&t for years. I care for my 94 year old daddy whose health is bad and his medical needs are very important and to have no service when I have had to call for ambulance or hospital is awful!!! We live out in the country so not like we can just run up the street to the hospital ourselves so if you have anything that could help so I'm not always worried about not getting help for him when needed or even when he is in the hospital and they have to call me, sometimes they cannot get through to me! Disheartening to say the least.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

So u have to buy a boosters on top of what u already pay to use your cell in areas where service suckspay alrtpay t

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Mabied wrote:

So u have to buy a boosters on top of what u already pay to use your cell in areas where service suckspay alrtpay t

Your best bet is find a carrier that works better.    In my case, ATT and Verizon are the only option and equally mediocre.  I have a car booster which helps while I’m on the road.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.8K Messages

2 years ago

@Mabied - service coverage area maps are fudged by all of the carriers. If service is poor outside of the home, and we're talking outside of the home and not in-home, then you need to check out another carrier that offers better coverage. If in-home is your concern, then switching to WiFI-C (WiFi Calling), purchasing a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line), or possibly try Google Voice are your only options.