What is happening with 3G?
Tylerh1986's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, November 3rd, 2016 10:25 PM

does at&t offer free microcell signal booster

Poor reception in house and read about free signal boosters from att and currently an att customer

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Maryjanep - ok, that's the problem. The MicroCell is designed for land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber) only. Satellite and wireless broadband is not supported by AT&T or us. That is mentioned in the User Guide and also on the outside of the box. The MicroCell can work with those services but it is unreliable and that's why Cisco/AT&T makes the claim and will not/can not support those types of internet connection. There are technical reasons for that.

WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) would be a good option provided the MicroCell is powered off but if your internet connection is flaky, then you will have issues as well. WiFi-C is a function of how robust your WiFi is and has nothing do really with AT&T. The only other option available to you would be an actual cellular booster if you can get at least one bar of cellular signal. They are pricey and a bit more complicated to setup but can work very well.

How long did you have the MicroCell before you asked about returning it? Something is not right there.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I had not bought the m-cell. It was just a question to them in case it didn't work

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Maryjanep - ok, good. Unfortunately whoever you talked to is wrong. You can return the MicroCell if you purchase it from AT&T within the specified time frame. It's unfortunate that when customers call AT&T that the CS Agents don't ask up front if their internet is land-based or wireless (satellite/WiFi). It would make things a lot easier.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Can i use any 16vdc adapter on my Cisco mcell booster?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Ruthiek - the adapter requirements are given in my Tech Guide (link is in my sig line). 12 VDC is the required output voltage for the MicroCell.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

As my pedestal has been frozen for several years now at a screaming speed of 1.5, which it rarely reaches, internet calling isn't a bright light at the end of my tunnel.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Whatever a "pedestal" is.......hope you can unfreeze it.  Not sure what you're trying to convey here.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Signalplease1 - the MicroCell under the best conditions is limited to 3-5 Mbps download speed because that's all you need for voice. It is not intended to be an internet connection. If the best you can do is 1.5Mbps download, which is marginal at best, that's more than likely an issue with your ISP or a line problem somewhere. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Is there  an option for something besides a cell phone to use a microcell because I have pet trackers that use AT&T but they are not on my specific account they just use the AT&T signal to track the dogs. So if I can get the IMEI from the company can I add these items to microcell? 

I am ok on my phone because I have WiFi calling set up already. But the trackers just drain battery cuz they can’t connect to the cellular gps. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Now4Real954  - The MicroCell is designed to work specifically, and only with AT&T cellular phones. It can not be configured to work with any other device.

If you leave the MicroCell powered on, and your phone is the one used to register/activate it, then you will have issues with WiFi-C because your phone will preferentially seek the 3G cellular signal instead of the WiFi signal and cause connection issues with your phone. You can get around that by placing your phone is Airplane Mode but that's a hassle and unnecessary in your case.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.