Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Nov 3, 2016 10:25 PM

does at&t offer free microcell signal booster

Poor reception in house and read about free signal boosters from att and currently an att customer

Responses

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

It’s not my point. I don’t care how my phone connects. I am just trying to find something that can boost the cell signal for other AT&T devices. That are not phones. They are GPS trackers that use the AT&T network.

I can turn off WiFi calling if I am getting 5 bars in cellular. My need is that same network to be boosted for my gps’ the batteries die so fast on them cuz of that need to be connected to the cellular network.

So if other IMEI can not be added to my account/microcell then I can’t use this. Because I have an option for my phone.

So that is the answer I needed. I don’t understand why if a different users IMEI can be added to the microcell why can’t other cellular devices can’t as well.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Now4Real954 - because the design of the MicroCell is intended solely for AT&T cellular users who have post paid AT&T cellular accounts but get poor in-home coverage. Look at it as a "bonus" for post paid AT&T account holders. If you want to boost the cellular signal you might want to look into real cellular boosters (the MicroCell is a femtocell, not a cellular booster). CelFi and weBoost (Wilson Electronics) are who we recommend. They can be pricey and installation is a bit more complicated (not overly so) but they do work very well. However, I don't know if they would work for your specific purpose. You'd need to contact them.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

Because the Mcell is for cellphones only.  I'm assuming you have a Link AKC Smart Collar through AT&T?  It uses Bluetooth to determine safe zones for your pet, either when they are near your cellphone or the Link Base Station.  If the pet moves out of the safe zone, then you can track the pet using the Link's GPS location that is transmitted to your phone's Link app by cellular or WiFi via public Wifi transceivers to boost signal.

While the Link has a cellular radio in it to communicate with AT&T and requires a subscription to operate, it can not use the Mcell as it also uses broadband to relay the cellular signal to AT&T's Mobility Servers and according to Link, its product is not compatible with broadband communications.

Your desire is to find a product to boost GPS signal to minimize battery drain of the Link unit but from what I can determine, that doesn't exist.  The Link's battery life is directly proportional to the amount of time the Link GPS radio is activated.  To maximize the battery life, the GPS unit should only be activated when needed.  According to Link, their unit needs to be charged daily and only has a rated battery life of 2 days.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Avedis53 - thanks Chief. Good info to know.

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

If you have a pet you want to track.....

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

And you made an incorrect assumption. There are multiple pet trackers on the market and I would never purchase something at that price and have only 2 days of battery life.

Thank you for your time but I am ok with this conversation being over. Have a great day.
Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

Alll those small pet/children/inanimate object GPS-based trackers have a short battery life and work in a similar manner.  You wanted to know if there is a device that boosts GPS signal strength for the trackers but that doesn't exist.  The Mcell is not your answer as it is incompatible with any GPS tracker you might buy.  

Good luck.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I too am having trouble keeping my m cell connection after about 4 yrs of use without a problem. Rebooting it restores the connection for 1 day or so.

If I switch to wifi calling, can all visitors be instructed to do that also to get good service when they’re in my home? I have always been connecting them to my m cell as long as they have att of course. 

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

As long as they have AT&T phones that are WiFi Calling capable, they will connect to your network and be able to initiate or accept calls.  You don't need to add phone numbers to an approved user's list like the Mcell requires.  Anyone using WiFi Calling on your network will need to activate WiFi Calling in their phone's settings under "Cellular" (iPhone anyway).

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Josephsb and @Avedis53 - I might add that a post paid AT&T cellular account is required for WiFi-C. In the MicroCell world, an AT&T pre paid phone could be added to an existing MicroCell under the Approved Users List and only the phone that registered/activated the MicroCell needed to be a post paid account. Unless AT&T has since changed the original restriction, only post paid AT&T accounts can be provisioned for WiFi-C even if the phone is capable of WiFi-C. It's been awhile since I looked at the "rules" for WiFi-C on AT&T's network. On an iPhone it is: Settings -> Cellular -> Wi Fi Calling.

If your MicroCell is 4 years old, and you can't use WiFi-C like you want to, the MicroCell problem may be as simple as a failing ac adapter. Check it with a voltmeter, it should read 16 VDC +/- 0.5 with no load.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks very much, I appreciate your replies.

Can I go ahead and activate wifi calling but leave my M cell active also as an option for guests? Do I have to disconnect my number from M cell or can I just leave it as is plus activate wifi calling on my iphone 6s?
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Josephsb

I have both active, but my Microcell is working great.  

It is easier for guests to use your WiFi for calls, (if they have WiFi calling with their carrier) than for you to 1.  verify they are an ATT phone, 2.  login, add their number, and then 3.  delete numbers when they leave.  (Since there is a limit how many can use Microcell). 

The Microcell won’t work with a non ATT number.   Your WiFi will.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

Running a Mcell and WiFi Calling at the same time presents a problem.  Phones will preferentially connect to the Mcell over WiFi Calling because of the strong cell signal that phones are programmed to prioritize over connecting to WiFi Calling.

If you are set on providing Mcell access to others but want to use WiFi Calling on your own phone, you will need to enable Airplane Mode to disable the cellular radio in your phone.  This will also disable WiFi and Bluetooth so you will need to enable WiFi after enabling Airplane Mode.  To me, that is a pain in the posterior to mess with.

You could remove your phone number from the Approved Users List for your Mcell to avoid this but if you are the primary account holder for your AT&T account and registered the Mcell under your phone number, you won't be able to do so.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.8K Messages

3 years ago

As nice as WiFi-C is, and preferred instead of the MicroCell, you have to make a choice as @Avedis53 indicated. You can't do both at the same time. You either disable the MicroCell altogether, remove the phone numbers on the Approved Users List, or place your phone in Airplane Mode (if your phone number is the one used to register/activate the MicroCell) because of the phone's preferred signal choice. There is no way to have your phone automatically connect to the signal of your choice. Guests are not the problem, the primary phone number (account holder) is.

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

@ lizdance40  -  AT&T WiFi Calling requires that the phone be an AT&T phone.  AT&T also requires all phones using WiFi Calling to be a postpaid account.  I believe your statement about WiFi Calling working with a non-AT&T number is incorrect, according to the AT&T WiFi-C webpage.