Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Nov 3, 2016 10:25 PM

does at&t offer free microcell signal booster

Poor reception in house and read about free signal boosters from att and currently an att customer

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

3 years ago

@Avedis53 - thanks. As far as our MicroCell goes, we've never had any issues. It has always worked as designed. I am slowly migrating the family to WiFi-C capable phones though because the MicroCell is rapidly closing in on its termination.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I'm also looking at other carriers, Verizon to be precise.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

3 years ago

@KentCarle - it would be helpful to us, and those who use the Search feature, if you kept your postings to one thread. Switching carriers is certainly your choice. It sounds like AT&T may not work well for you so hopefully you can find a carrier that will. Good luck with Verizon.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I think I may have a problem with the phone itself then because I definitely cannot leave wifi calling enabled. I can watch the battery percentage decline if I do.  Also the phone feels hot.   I also have had to restart the phone once every couple of days because it will lose cell signal and just show "searching"

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

3 years ago

@Dmull147 - hmmm, that does sound like a phone problem then. I haven't kept up on the newest iPhones so some research may be in store.

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

Otto. you will be the last person on the planet to ditch the Mcell.  It's in your genetic makeup. Smiley Very Happy

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

3 years ago

@Avedis53 - ...... but then what would I do with my spare time if I couldn't be the ACE of MicroCell? Smiley Wink Seriously, as soon as we migrate over to WiFi-C capable phones, my MicroCell collection will be archived.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Had poor call reception in my house. God to settings--Phone--press Wifi-call. Then you get crystal clear calls and it's a free service
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

3 years ago

@Soeasy - we recommend using WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) instead of the MicroCell if your phone is capable of that. Call quality and reliability is much better. However, if you are in a mixed environment (WiFi-C capable and non-capable phones) then you can still use WiFi-C but it is a bit more tricky. I do believe that WiFi-C is only available for post paid accounts though, like the MicroCell is. The one advantage of the MicroCell is that you can add pre paid phones to the Approved Users List.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Had the worst experience with AT&T customers service and the Retention Dept. Spoke with AT&T store employee about not being able to make out going calls from home, he suggested calling AT&T about the microcell.

1st call stated they don't sell the microcell any longer, made a few recommendations that didn't work.

2nd call, they do have the microcell, but for $140. Was able to get it for $50. Didn't arrive.

3rd call, apologized and waived the $50 for being a good customer. Waited, didn't arrive.

4th call, rep states they don't have the ability to send out microcells, if I wanted one the AT&T store would sell it for $140+.

Bottom line, paying for a phone that doesn't work in my home. I had to go into the backyard to make a call, thank goodness it was raining. Don't want to go back to the store since the same guy talked me into changing my plan, it was supposed to save me a bit of money. Surprise, my bill was higher.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

3 years ago

@jacarreon - interesting. AT&T does in fact sell MicroCells. They can be purchased from any corporate store (if in stock) for about $150 - $175. It's been a long time since I priced MicroCells. They are not free but you may be able to get a discount on one. I'm not sure about your statement of getting one for $50. Something doesn't sound right about that, especially if it was the newest, black model (DPH-154).

CS Agents can not send out a MicroCell to a customer without getting approval from higher up. And then it would be at hopefully, a discounted price. Which can be something like $50 off the normal price. That may vary a bit. You also need a post paid AT&T cellular account to even register and activate a MicroCell. Which, by the way, is not a cellular booster but a femtocell.

If your phone is capable of WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) that is a better option than the MicroCell because it is more reliable with better call quality. A postpaid AT&T cellular account is also required for WiFi-C.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Tim

Are there any AT&T Programs to add signal strength to existing towers at places like schools? We recently switched service, and we struggle to get a signal. I work at a school, and there are several staff members that experience the same problem.  There may be a solution using the light towers at the school, but I'm not sure who to contact at AT&T.

Thoughts?

Brian [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

We used to have great AT&T service, and have been loyal customers for over 10 years, now I can barely send a text from my home. I have called twice.. and complained. How can we be assured a micro cell will help?? As they said you cannot return it.. we don't not want to switch carriers.. but we may be forced to
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

3 years ago

@HBPirate - Are you asking if something like a MicroCell (light tower?) can be setup in large local environment (school) to improve signal strength or are you asking if the closest AT&T cellular tower can have its signal strength increased?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

3 years ago

@Maryjanep - No one can guarantee that the MicroCell will correct your issue. Location, quality of ISP, type of internet connection (land-based vs satellite), etc. all play a major factor in how well the MicroCell will work in-home. A lot of people have no issues at all with the MicroCell (me included) so your chances are good. I don't know who told you the MicroCell can't be returned but it can, like anything else you purchase, within a specified time frame.

If you have phones that are capable of WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) that would be your best bet because you wouldn't need a MicroCell. Your other option would be to purchase a real cellular booster, if you can get at least 1 bar of signal strength, from someone like CelFi or Wilson. Pricey but they do work very well.