Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Feb 7, 2016 2:22 PM

Deactivate microcell

I am no longer with att and I want to deactivate my microcell to resell to someone who needs one. How do I insuse it is deactivated and can be used by the next person?

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

5 years ago

Just go to your myAT&T MicroCell page, delete the information, and then click Deactivate. It should only take a day or so for it to go thru the system so that the serial number is no longer associated with your account. After that, it should be good to go.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
rjniles

Scholar

• 

171 Messages

5 years ago

Since you are no longer with ATT&T you do not have an account you can access to deactivate. You pretty much have a brick.

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

5 years ago

That's what I was thinking also.....

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

5 years ago

I read that too quick this morning and thought he said he didn't need his MicroCell anymore and missed the part about canceling his AT&T service altogether. It would be nice to know though if one can still access his myAT&T page after canceling AT&T service to deactivate the MicroCell. Might be a nice addition to the Tech Guide reminding folks to deactivate the MicroCell BEFORE canceliing AT&T service.

Avedis53

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

5 years ago

Add it to the Tech Guide.  This should be done before parting ways with AT&T unless you need an extra doorstop.......

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

5 years ago

Yep. I've got a lot of stuff to add so I think instead of going to version 1.9 I'll just combine the info and go to version 2.0, which may be the last update.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

How can you deactivate a microcell if you obtain it from someone who didn't deactivate it before selling it?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

2 years ago

@GDGreer1 - It is very difficult, if not impossible. The reason being is if the account associated with the MicroCell is still active, AT&T is reluctant to deactivate it because they have no way of knowing if the MicroCell was stolen or not. Besides, the MicroCell was discontinued at the end of last year so AT&T has no incentive to deactivate it.

rjniles

Scholar

• 

171 Messages

2 years ago

If the person you got it from still has the AT&T account, get them to deactivate. Otherwise you are out of luck.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 months ago

I contacted AT&T via chats two times and explained I was no longer a customer and wanted to get my Microcell deactivated so that I could sell it.  Both times they indicated that by resetting the device by inserting a paper clip into the reset hole while the device was plugged in, will deactivate the device.  Anyone have information on the accuracy of this?  They stated I could use a copy of the chat for proof that it would be deactivated by doing this.

rjniles

Scholar

• 

171 Messages

9 months ago

You are getting bad advise. The MCell must be deactivated in the ATT servers.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

9 months ago

@Olmbre - I agree with @rjniles . Using a paperclip in the reset hole, following the instructions in my Tech Guide (link is in my sig line) performs a complete reset of the MicroCell but it has nothing to do with deactivating the device (removing it from an account). That is done by the owner of the MicroCell via their myAT&T MicroCell Settings page. Deactivating is an IT/AT&T Account procedure which can only be accomplished by the owner logging into their account and deactivating the unit.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 months ago

Just got off the phone with AT&T. I was told that since I no longer have an active account with AT&T, that the microcell has become deactivated automatically when I stopped service with them. If I still had AT&T service, then yes I would have to go online and deactivate it myself through the microcell settings before someone else could use it.

• 

5 Messages

@Olmbre I also have a micro-cell which I do not remember if I deactivated. I canceled my AT&T account over a year ago. I want to sell my micro-cell to someone else, and I wan to make sure he can activate the micro-cell. Were you able to verify that the micro-cell is unregistered and the buyer of your micro-cell was able to activate the micro-cell?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

@mboston There is no guarantee that canceling your cellular account will deactivate a MicroCell. AT&T will begin to shut the service down late this year so they would rather not have another MicroCell user only to go thru the process of telling them that in 10 or 11 months from now the service will be deactivated.

Try to the person you want to seel it to re-activate the MicroCell and see if they get an error message. If they do, then it hasn't been deactivated.

• 

5 Messages

I plan to sell the micro cell on eBay, as such I can not ask a buyer will agree. Is there away I check by myself by looking at the lights of the microcell to know if it registered or not? Isn’t there a person in ATT that just put in a serial number and check?

Thank you for helping.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

There isn't any way to tell by the light pattern if the MicroCell has been deactivated, other than a flashing green or red 3G loight, which can indicate other issues. I would be very surprised if you could find anyone at AT&T who would attempt to put in the serial number to see if it was still registered. They wouldn't in the past, again for security purposes. Your best bet would be to try and find someone who has a post paid AT&T cellular account and see if they can register the MicroCell and if an error message appears indicating that the MicroCell is already regisgtered.

• 

5 Messages

Lets assume that I go to someone and he try to register and it does not allow him, what then? How I unregistered it?

One of the issues of asking a friend who has ATT to register the microcell for testing is we are now in social distancing due to the virus, and asking not technical person to this over the phone will not work.

I read in Amazon review of the product that someone purchased a used microcell and failed to activated it. So he called AT&T tech support, and after about 20 minutes on the mine they were able to unregister it from the old account and register it to the new post paid account. Do you have any experience with that?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

@mboston The ONLY reliable way to deactivate and deregister a MicroCell is to do it from the origianl owner's myAT&T MicroCell Settings page. Obviously that is not possible in your case. I have heard stories like the one you mentioned but I think those are far from the norm and if true, that person was very lucky. It is certainly not AT&T's policy to do that. If you think about it, someone calls AT&T with a MicroCell that is still registered to another account and asks if AT&T can remove it from that account and register it to their account. If it were me on the AT&T side of the phone, that would send up all kinds of red flags.

Given the current situation of the MicroCell, if you can find someone at AT&T who even understands how the MicroCell works, you may be able to achieve that. I'm doubtful but it can't hurt to try. Just prepare yourself to be stuck with a doorstop.

Amazon reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

I'll add ebay prices have increased from $99 to well over the original $275 price tag, for a device that may have 1 to 2 years use before 3g shuts down, and they are trash

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

@lizdance40 I wouldn't go as far as to say their trash but they have certainly outlived their usefullness. Because I was bored and stuck at home like everyone else, I fired up my 154 just to see if it still worked and about 20 minutes later I was up and running with very good call quality.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

It works now because 3-g has not shut down yet. As I wrote, in 12 to 22 months (deadline February 2022) there will be no more 3-g Network and the MicroCell will no longer function = trash.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

@lizdance40 I understand your comment now. Trash because there will be no more service early next year, not trash becasue they don't work well.😉

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

@OttoPylot yes.

They work great now.

I have seen prices of $600 on ebay. Thats a lot for something with a limited lifespan

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

@lizdance40 $600 😱 I've got one 151, one 153 and one 154. here. Hmmmm..

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

@OttoPylot They are back down in the $200 range for the old and new version. Lots of white version left. the 154 was selling high once at&t stopped stocking them. Supply and demand.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

@lizdance40 They do look kinda cool on the "electronics" shelf. Sort of like an "AT&T Award" 😁

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

😂. I suppose you could spray paint them all with silver, gold or bronze paint. 🏆.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

@lizdance40 Hmmmm, bronze for the 151, silver for the 153, and gold for the 154 🤔. I like it!

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

😂

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

9 months ago

@Olmbre - AT&T has probably changed their deactivation procedures then in getting ready for shutting down the service altogether, because in the past canceling your AT&T cellular account did not automatically deactivate the MicroCell. I would certainly wait a couple of weeks before selling it though to make sure that the removal of the MicroCell's serial number from your account goes thru the entire system. However, their advice about the paperclip was totally wrong, so take that into consideration.

Get started...

Ask a new question