Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
B

• 

1 Message

Fri, Oct 2, 2020 4:16 PM

Compatible with Spectrum

I have moved to a new home.  The internet provider is Spectrum.  I continue to use ATT cell phone service.  Can I use the ATT Micro Cell with the Spectrum router?  Are they compatible?

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

2 months ago

The MicroCell should work with Spectrum (Charter) depending on how the router is configured. Spectrum does have a long history of not playing nice with the MicroCell due to issues on their end. In theory, the MicroCell will work with almost any router and ISP as long as the minimum router requirements are met.

Do keep in mind that the MicroCell is a discontinued product and the service itself will be discontinued as well no later than Feb. 2022 once AT&T shuts down their 3G network. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T and us recommend now to improve poor in-home coverage.

The first problem you will probably encounter is accessing your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page to update and save your new address. There have been lots of issues accessing the Settings page from outside of AT&T (customer side) because key resources have been re-allocated to other departments. AT&T is reluctant to reassign resources (IT, programmers, etc) because the product is no longer being sold by AT&T and support is now minimal due to the impending 3G shutdown.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

+1 following.

so i realized registering the device is pretty straight forward if you use the microcell app in the App Store. Assuming there is one for Android too.

i tried activating before updating the address so got the red network lights and email from att. Updated the address using the app and have not had any success. Still getting the green blinking network lights.

my isp is spectrum so curious what may be the issue.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

2 months ago

@sfshaider The only way to register/activate a MicroCell is to directly access your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page via the web. The mobile app, on any platform, has not worked correctly for a very long time.

However, there are  issues with the activation page that AT&T does not want to fix. The  reason is that the MicroCell has reached its EOL as of the end of 2017, and the service will be discontinued no later that Feb. 2022 when AT&T shuts down their 3G network. AT&T has no incentive to maintain the backend so registration/activation is hit and miss. AT&T can access the page internally but externally (customer side) is difficult at best.

Spectrum (Charter) has always had issues with the MicroCell because of the ports required so you are on your own when dealing with the MicroCell and Spectrum. They will always blame AT&T, even when the MicroCell Settings page was working correctly.

WiFi-C is what AT&T and us recommend now if your phone is capable.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question