Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Dec 26, 2019 2:49 AM

Cisco Microcell/wifi issues

i moved into a small cabin on my in laws property and we share their internet connection from the MAIN HOUSE using a wireless bridge to bridge system. The main house has one antenna our garage/shop/business has the other antenna and POE. meaning the garage is tapped ino yhe MAIN Router though ethernet as well as the ability to act as an access point. HERE IS MY QUESTION.....my cabin use the wifi signal from the garage to run my smart TV and computer but I have no CELL SERVICE but I own an At&t Microcell....if I buy a seperate access point with ethernet port that just plugs into the wall will my MICROCELL still work being plugged into that port if it acts as an access point? or do I need to bury a freaking wire so I can use an actual modem/router? please help I need cell serrvice inside Its too cold to talk on the phone outside right now.....

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 months ago

@Dinsipjnsn

The MicroCell is designed for land-based internet service only (DSL, cable, or fiber). It can work with a wireless connection but is unreliable and AT&T will not support any problems that arise, and neither will we. I believe that the outside of the MicroCell box even states that satellite and/or wireless interenet service is not supported. You need a wired connection to a router that has been configured to meet the minimum router requirements for the MicroCell.

AT&T stopped selling the MicroCell at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell had reached its EOL. Service will continue until Feb. 2021 or sooner when AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network, at which time service will be discontinued as well. What AT&T and us recommend now is WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable. Your other options are to look into a cellular booster. See my Cellular Booster Guide for a primer on cellular boosters (link is in my sig line) or switch carriers.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.