Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!
V

• 

1 Message

Sun, May 10, 2020 2:18 AM

AT&T Microcell and we switched to Verizon

We have a Cisco Model DPH-154 Microcell. Did we put a deposit down? Should we be returning to AT&T for anything?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

39.3K Messages

2 months ago

There was no deposit and no need to return it. Microcells have reached end of life and are no longer supported.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

@sandblaster technically the MicroCells are still supported, what ever that means, until the service itself is discontinued.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
rjniles

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

Micro cells still have value on eBay, $30-70 depending on model. Deactivate before you cell.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.5K Messages

When 3g terminates, they will have zero use. AT&T no longer allows new activations of 3-g devices. And 3-g service is gradually being turned off with an end date for any 3-g service of February 2022. The best way to maintain service, is not the MicroCell, but to switch as early as possible to a phone with Wi-Fi calling capability

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

@rjniles long time no hear from 😁 Hope all is well with you. While the MicroCell's still have some value I think a large part of that is due to folks who just don't realize that the MicroCell is on borrowed time, and that time is coming very soon. Support for the MicroCell is getting worse than it ever was because AT&T just doesn't want to deal with it anymore, and that's going to be frustrating for owners of recently purchased second-hand MicroCell's.

We has a poster last week (I think his post and my response was removed) who purchased 250, apparently new MicroCell's at an estate sale and his "customers" were having difficulty getting them activated/registered. His theory was that Cisco never registered them with AT&T so their serial numbers were not in the system and AT&T told him they might be able to register them on the "backend". My guess is that he's gone ahead and put them up for sale just to recover his investment which is going to problematic. Personlly, I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase a MicroCell now unless they knew exactly what they were getting into and are desperate for a temporary fix.

rjniles

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

Otto, there are people like me who are still using the Microcell and have no other options. We have no over the air signal and we have non AT&T Android phones not eligible for WIFI-C. If my MCell were to die today I would try to buy one. At that point in time when ATT&T does turn down the MCell, I will have to make a decision, buy a AT&T Android (will never buy Apple) or find a different carrier.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

@rjniles I know there are lots of people still using the Microell, and I feel for ya but I don't know what to tell you other than to look into a cellular booster, purchase AT&T WiFi-C capable phones, or switch carriers. I've been trying for years to get AT&T to do some sort of official announcement when it gets close to terminating the MicroCell service but it is falling on deaf ears. It's become even a bit more difficult for us ACEs to reach our contacts at AT&T with this new forum mess for further information. My fear is that AT&T is going to slowly let the MicroCell die without giving MicroCell Support any clue as to what is going on. Failure to activate/reactivate 3G devices as @lizdance40 alluded to could be an example of what's coming. Twilight for AT&T's 3G service is supposed to be around Feb. 2022 but I think the MicroCell service will be discontinued long before that. I really hope that the Suits do some sort of announcement to active MicroCell users to give them a heads up, but I just don't know.

rjniles

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

Otto, the irritation for me is AT&T's refusal to allow non-AT&T Android phones which are WIFI-C and VoLTE capable to use those features on their network. Other carries and MVNOs allow the use of these features without restricting to a device they sell. And Apple devices have no such restrictions,.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

@rjniles I hear ya, and have no argument against that. We've always used iPhones during the MicroCell days and now with WiFi-C exlusively. They just work well for what we need and do. Not perfect but they do meet our needs. Maybe AT&T will change that once 3G is gone completely but what corporate decides is not necessarily good for the customer. AT&T celluar is the only AT&T service we have and it's been good for us. Others, not so much.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.5K Messages

@rjniles

As a dedicated unlocked android phone user, I feel your pain. Pixel 3 was heaven sent.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

rjniles

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

lizdance40, are you saying your unlocked Pixel 3 works with an AT&T postpaid account for VoLTE and WIFI calling?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.5K Messages

Yes!
Both my older son and I purchase pixel 3 XL. It consistently works on any carrier with Wi-Fi calling.
3a, and 4 are not consistent

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

@rjniles @lizdance40, along with another distinguished ACE, knows all there is about Android phones and plans so if she says it is so, it is written 😉

(edited)

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

Wifi calling works on the pixel 3 series the 3a series and the 4 series BUT the 4 series is a garbage phone to begin with. Google dropped the ball on it. Some folks do have problems getting the 4 series bought from google to work on wifi calling I did not have that problem.

The rumor is one plus 8 pro may work with wifi calling as it does work with VoLTE out of the box. I did not get a test unit of the 8 pro yet. Fedex had a employee steal the one I was sent.

Verizon and one plus have a verizon exclusive one+8 phone that I would steer clear of.

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.5K Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76

my pixel 4XL is great. love it even more that the 3 XL.

Get started...

Ask a new question