For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
G

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 3rd, 2020 11:03 PM

AT&T 3G MicroCell quit working

I have been using the microcell since 2012 and with a few issues resolved by rebooting it has been working great. It recently stopped working. No lights on the unit come on and I have removed it from the electric outlets using other outlets that service other plugins without getting any response. Do these things wear out? If so do I get a replacement from AT&T orCisco?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

There are no replacements for the MicroCell because, as @lizdance40 pointed out, they reached their EOL at the end of 2017, and the service itself will be discontinued no later that Feb. 2021 once AT&T transitions away from their 3G network. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T and us recommend now if your phone is capable.

Check the ac adapter with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. If not, replace the adapter with one of the same rating, test it, and see if you MicroCell comes back to life. AT&T does not sell the adapters but they are easy to find on Amazon. The specs are on the adapter.

And yes, the MicroCell unit itself does have a finite lifespan, and they can not be repaired. You could find another one on eBay but be careful. I have some pointers on purchasing used MicroCells in my Tech Guide, link is in my sig line.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

4 years ago

99% sure your ac adapter went bad.  If you can replace it, you'll be back up. 

Be aware that the end of life was announced for the MicroCell in 2017 oh, and when 3G completely shuts down micro cells will no longer work at all. The newer technology is Wi-Fi calling.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.