Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
S

• 

5 Messages

Tue, Oct 20, 2020 6:59 PM

4g Microcell

I have been using a Microcell for over 10 years, about 1 year ago my 3g Microcell died and I switched to a 4g. I was on Xfinity and everything worked fine. A few weeks ago I switched to AT&T internet and now I am only getting cellular service. In other words, I can no longer get the internet or MMS messages. There seems to be some setting in the AT&T router that prevents the internet from connecting to the Microcell. Can someone please help?

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

a month ago

There is no such thing as a 4G MicroCell. They are, and have always been 3G only. The last iteration of the MicroCell, the black DPH-154, is essentially the same as the previous models only it has a smaller footprint, better radios, and the computer port/external antenna port were done away with. Operationally, they are all the same. The service will be discontinued no later than Feb. 2022, or sooner, once AT&T re-purposes its 3G network. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what you should be using now if your phone is capable.

What exactly do you mean you can't get the internet? The MicroCell is intended for voice only.

Is WiFi enabled on your phone?

Does your phone display the M-Cell alpha tag?

Are all of the lights a solid green on the MicroCell?

More detailed information is needed.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

a month ago

I guess I was expecting someone to try to help rather than attempt to call out any incorrect assumptions. 

The DPH-154 claims to support 3G and 4G. While using the device my phone shows 4G where is only ever showed 3G on the previous device.

In all the time using a Microcell, which has been 10 years, the device allowed all the functions of being connected to the mobile network. This included internet and MMS messaging. Since switching to AT&T a few weeks ago, I lost the mobile internet and the MMS capability.  Whether the device should, or should not provide this is not for me to explain since it has always done so. I am attempting to find out how to configure the AT&T modem/router to allow the full functionality as it did before.

Thank you for your corrections and hopefully, you can offer some assistance as well.

• 

5 Messages

a month ago

This was taken directly from the manufacturers user guide:  Should I use my MicroCell for data instead of Wi-Fi?
The MicroCell supports data usage.
However, it is not intended to be a
replacement for your wireless network
(Wi-Fi). Data over Wi-Fi doesn’t affect
your wireless plan and provides best
performance for Wi-Fi capable cell phones
and other devices. The MicroCell is a
great supplement for data on cell phones
that aren’t Wi-Fi capable.

The lights are working as they are supposed to and my phone shows the Microcell tag. As mentioned, I am no longer able to send or receive MMS while on the Microcell connected to the AT&T modem/router.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

a month ago

you may as well use wifi calling as the microcell is being killed off no later than early 2022 and earlier if they decide to in some areas that no longer have 3g service or 4G as ATT likes to call 3G.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

a month ago

@Silvernickel The MicroCell supports 3G/4G devices but it only transmits a 3G signal for your phone to connect to. Some phones will interpret the 3G signal as 4G and may display that but in reality, your only connecting at 3G protocols.

If all the lights on the MicroCell are a solid green, and the M-Cell alpha tag is displayed, then the MicroCell is working and you can make/receive calls via 3G. Keep WiFi enabled as some phones will prefer to use that for data (MMS/SMS).

If the minimum router requirements (as listed in my Tech Guide, link is in my sig line) are not being met with the AT&T router, then there will be no connection to the AT&T Mobility Servers and you will either have no MicroCell service or call quality will be poor. There are no other configurations that can be set in the router.

If you are attempting to use the MicroCell for anything other than calls then that may not be available now because the MicroCell reached its EOL at the end of 2017 and AT&T would rather you use WiFi-C than use the MicroCell, which they don't really want to support anymore as it is a discontinued product, soon to be terminated altogether.

You can try to call AT&T Support but you probably won't get very far as most MicroCell Support has been very poor for years. All you can do on your end is maybe try a hard reset following the instructions in my Tech Guide. I doubt if that will work but you never know.

What kind of phone do you have?

• 

5 Messages

a month ago

So, I figured this out finally without much help from AT&T. It turns out that I was making incorrect assumptions regarding how my phone was working while on the Microcell. I had service with another provider for years and I had their modem/router. It seems that their modem/router and my phone worked fine with the microcell and I got calls through the microcell and MMS through the wifi. When I changed to AT&T, their modem/router must not work with my phones the same way and all MMS stopped working but the SMS continued. I tried wifi calling as well, which had the same result. It turns out that with enough internet searching I found the solution. This is copied directly from another post.

After several days of digging in different discussion forums for various phones and carriers, I found a solution in a Samsung discussion community: set your wireless network as unmetered. To get there, Settings -> Connections -> click on your current wireless connection -> click on gear next to name of connection -> Advanced -> set Metered network to Treat as unmetered. If set to Detect automatically or Treat as metered, MMS will fail if your WiFi is turned on.

Once I followed these instructions, the MMS started working immediately with no restart required. Now, I no longer need the microcell and wifi calling works perfectly.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

a month ago

Glad you found a resolution to your problem. Historically, some Android-based phones have always had more issues with the MicroCell than other phones. That's not to say that they are inferior in any way, because they're not,  it's just the way the phone works with AT&T via the MicroCell.

You'll be much happier with WiFi-C than the MicroCell.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

a month ago

Leave it to samsung to have a setting like that LOL

Get started...

Ask a new question