What is happening with 3G?
hvjackson's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, November 9th, 2014 4:11 PM

3G microcell "network" light blinking red overnight

I have an older microcell, white model 151 (approximately 5 years old).

Every night for the last week or so the microcell as been going offline and when I get up in the morning the "network" light (with the 5 signal-strength bars) is slowly flashing red. The other lights (power, ethernet, and GPS) are still solid green.

After power cycling the microcell, all the lights return to normal (solid) and I can make & receive calls without a problem, until the next morning.

Is this a sign that the microcell is dying? Is there a problem with my local network configuration that's blocking the Microcell's communication? I did get a new router a few weeks ago, but I don't think the Microcell issues started right away after that. I checked the Microcell network guide and I believe my router is configured correctly (all ports are allowed, etc). When I power cycle the Microcell it seems to link to AT&T just fine.

I haven't been able to figure out if the Microcell is going off after X number of hours, or if it happens at the same time every night.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

AT&T does perform maintenance and/or updates late at night every now and then. The MicroCell usually has to reboot after this, especially is there is an update. Sort of like rebooting your computer after an update. If the update didn't install correctly,when the MicroCell attempts to reboot, it can't, and it "thinks" there is a hardware failure which is usually indicated by a blinking red 3G light.

I would try a hard reset. That puts the MicroCell back into default status and it has to perform the Initial Activation process all over again, part of which is checking for new updates.

Disable the power to the MicroCell. Take a paperclip and press in on the reset button which is located on the back of the MicroCell. Keep holding in the button and restore power. Hold in the button for about 30 seconds and then release it. Let us know if that fixes it.

Yea, it is possible that your MicroCell has also died. They don't last forever but let's not give it last rites just yet.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I spent two days working on this issue of the blinking Network (Top 3G signal strength indicator).

I was told that my Arris Cable modem was the problem. Not so.

I then went into my router and changed VPN settings from "Disable" to "Enable"

PPTP Pass-through:Enable       Disable
L2TP Pass-through:Enable       Disable
IPSEC Pass-through:Enable       Disable

After making these changes, everything worked. Do a google search on L2TP or PPTP and notice that they refer to the ports that the Micro-Cell needs to have open, like 443 (provisioning), 4500 (IPsec) etc. Enabling these VPN settings on my router fixed the problem.  I had set them to "Disable" a while ago not realizing that they would impact anything I was using. The MicroCell however needs these ports to be open.

Maybe this will work for others with Setup issues.  The ATT tech support said "Arris Cable Modem" was the problem, but in fact it was my router VPN settings.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Definitely try Otto's suggestion concerning the hard reset and post back with your results.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Yesterday I "hard reset" the Microcell as you suggested, and this morning it was still on... so I'm cautiously optimistic. (Of course, since there is no user interface for the device I cannot tell what was the problem or whether it finally updated itself). I will wait a few more days before declaring victory, but I think this is promising. Thanks for your help.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Please let us know if after several days your problem has been resolved.  It will help us to provide future assistance to others.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

AT&T never discloses when updates are pushed or what they are for, and they don't always end up with the flashing red 3G if a reset is needed. You've probably received quite a few updates for better network connectivity, maintenance, etc and never realized it. But yeah, let us know in a few days if you're still up and running solid green.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I'm having the same problem. ATT sent me a new microcell, same problem. Flashing red today. I've hard reset. I've done everything I could find to do and it will not stop. I have to unplug and replug everyday in order for it to work.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

@fatemiafuson 

Please keep any future posts in the other thread you started so we can keep things organized and can better track responses. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

1 week later and the Microcell is still online; I think I'm all set. Thanks for the help!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Glad to hear that your Mcell is performing to your satisfaction!  If you have any issues come up, you know where to find us.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.