What is happening with 3G?
themcks's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 12:04 AM

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Did you ever get your microcell working with Charter after the blinking green 3G light on the microcell?  My microcell stopped working today.  I've spent three hours on the phone with AT&T and Charter.  Each said it is the other's problem.  I'm inclined to believe that the problem is Charter because they have blocked the ports that the microcell is required to access the AT&T servers.  Charter will not grant access to these ports so my microcell is of little more value than a brick.  And I have no phone service.  How can Charter do this without any notification?  I have verified that the all of thte ports required for microcell access have been BLOCKED.  Now what do I do?  How can Charter get by with doing this?  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

I've linked your post in the other thread to the Admins and they will look into it. It would be best to keep your posts to a single post, preferably the other one so we, and others, can easily respond and track.

Charter, like anyother ISP can pretty much do what they want and justify it was a "security measure". Let me see what I can find out before we jump to conclusions. As far as I know Avedis53 still has a perfectly functioning MicroCell.

By any chance did you try a hard reset on the MicroCell?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I woke up also to the same issue.  My microcell after over a year just stopped working.   Charter is saying it's port 4500 that is blocked.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm located in Louisiana. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Charter seems to be having issues in specific areas because you're the first  non-West Coast person to report that Charter is blocking a port (possibly). Unfortunately, if it is Charter that's blocking port 4500 (the most common port blocked) then they will have to correct it because AT&T can't. Did Charter tell you port 4500 was blocked or did you use a port checking app?

I've linked your post to the Admins and they'll look into it but don't expect much, especially if it is Charter's problem. I'm wondering if they are having network switch issues due to weather?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I do know that our area is being upgraded to the new Charter Spectrum or whatever they are calling it.     This might be the cause of the new issue.

I spent most of the morning with AT&T going through their tireless check off list when I had already performed those tests and plenty of more.  Of course you have to go through them anyway and finally they got a manager on the phone.   The manager said from their side it was port 4500 being blocked as they could not access the Microcell either.   I will contact Charter and see if they point the finger back at AT&T or just throw their hands up.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

A couple weeks ago my AT&T 3G MicroCell connected through Charter quit working.  I am located in southern Oregon.  I had made no changes that could have caused this.  Now the bottom connection is eith or off or flashes continuously.  I spent an hour and a half on the phone with an AT&T tech person tyying many different solutions, including connecting the MicroCell directly to my cable modem (thus eliminating router issues), and openin g up the four ports on the router that the MiocroCell uses.  None of this has worked.  Apparently the Charter-based problems exist here also!

Unfortunately, alternative cellphone companies do not provide better cell coverage in the part of town where I live, so switching carriers is apparently not a solution.  Help!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

What has happened in the past with Charter is that they have done regional upgrading on their system which has caused connectivity problems with the MicroCell ( a switch configured wrong for example). It's unfortunately not a system-wide problem ( I saw your other post) so it's hard to determine the cause. Unless we start to see similar problems in other Charter areas it's going to be difficult to pin-point. I would send a pm to CustomerCare with the problem, what you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and  your location. It could just be your MicroCell Service Area but until AT&T gets similar complaints from the same are they will treat it as a localized problem and not prioritize it.

I would also contact Charter to see if they are doing any maintenance/upgrades in your area. Don't be surprised if they can't or won't tell you anything and direct you back to AT&T.

I have a contact in Oregon who also uses the MicroCell with Charter so let me see if he has any issues.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

My next step is to install my MicroCell on my brother?s non-Charter internet connection and see if that works.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

No issues here on the central Oregon coast with Charter.

You can certainly test your Mcell at your brother's house to see if it works, but I suspect your problem is a localized issue with Charter as we've seen this before.  Let us know how your test turns out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.