What is happening with 3G?
themcks's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 12:04 AM

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

The Mcell and Vonage both use port 123 UDP for NTP synchonization.  You can not forward the same port to both applications.  Put the Vonage in the DMZ and port forward the Mcell.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Good thought.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Avedis,

Yeah, I still can't get UDP 123 to stick.  I placed the Vonage adapter in the DMZ, turned off UPnP again, then disabled all other hard-wired and wireless devices from connecting to the router, including the Vonage box so that only my main PC and the MCell were showing as "attached devices".  When I try to port-forward UDP 123 to the MCell, the router keeps telling me that the port is being used by another protocol or device.  

Strange.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Disconnect your pc so that all you have on your network is  your router connected to the MicroCell. You might want to power cycle the router as well. Reconnect and see if you can forward 123. By any chance are you using the Computer input on the MicroCell? Leave UPnP off.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

If power cycling the router with all other network devices disconnected doesn't allow you to forward the 123 port, then you might try restoring your router to factory default settings and starting again. There is a marked reset hole on the back or the bottom of most Netgear routers.  You'll need a paper clip or something similiar to press the recessed reset button.  Connect your computer and set up your router again using the admin page.  Make sure to power off the router before pressing the reset button.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

My microcell stopped working on the 22 of January. I am also a Charter Business customer located in North Fort Worth, Texas (76179). So far ATT has sent me 2 different units and not one of them will work. I have the blinking green 3G light. I have been on the phone numerous times with Charter telling me that everything is great on thier end and they don't support 3rd party products like the microcell. I know from reading this thread that some people had the problem resolved. I don't know what else to do other than abandon the microcell or charter, or maybe just both. Does anyone have any contacts within Charter that I can contact directly that has a clue about this issue?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

There was a poster with the username railpass, who was a Charter engineer, and he was a tremendous help in getting Charter to figure out what the issue was with their new network boxes and upgrades. He hasn't responded to my emails but you may want to try and PM him and if he still lurks around here he may reply to you.

You might want to see if AT&T can detect any port issues from their end. That may give you an idea on whether the fix that Charter did is holding or not. We haven't had any reports from the OP's in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area that the issues have re-surfaced. However, if you've had your MicroCell replaced twice now that sort of indicates that it's not the MicroCell and something to do with your connection. Did you make any configuration changes/additions/upgrades to your system around the time the MicroCell first failed?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

No changes where made before it stopped working. I will PM railpass and see if I get a response, this has been a frustrating experience to say the very least. ATT points the finger at Charter and then Charter just points the finger back at ATT.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

If your issue is related to the network boxes upgrade that Charter did in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, then unfortunately it is Charter's issue to fix. According Charter, it had something to do with the vendor they used and it took awhile for the vendor and Charter to come up with a fix so that port 4500 wasn't being blocked. There's not much AT&T can do to tell another carrier how to fix their system.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have the same situation... my microcell stopped working in Feb of this year after working pretty well since 2011. 

Does anyone know if Charter is working on this issue in the Fort Worth area? Every time I talk to them they tell me they know nothing about it and that port 2500 is not blocked. ATT reports port 2500 is blocked.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.