What is happening with 3G?
themcks's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 12:04 AM

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

That's a good idea to do the self-test first to see if anything jumps out at you. The more information you can give Charter, the better.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your input on this avedis53.

OK, I ran the VoIP test and apparently I've got a lot of outbound jitter going on that is most likely causing my issue.  It's coming in at 48.7 ms to the test server.  This makes sense as parties at the other end of my calls can't hear me well as the voice quality is garbled and choppy.  

Here are the results of my VoIP test:

acouseVoIPTest.png

Honestly, I've been experiencing a very poor Internet connection in general here for the last two months or so and it seemed to have started around the time Charter was performing back-end upgrades.  When I run speedtest.net or Charter HSI speed tests, the upload speed is usually completely unacceptable... a lot of the time the download comes in terrible as well.  I usually never get even close to a 3 Mb upload speed at peak or non-peak hours of the day.

I have done these HSI speed tests in the past while plugged directly into my SB6141 modem, bypassing my network components with the same poor upload results.

FYI: nothing has changed with my network gear since when my MicroCell was working well.

Let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks.

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

I've ran the VoIP test a couple of more times and download jitter is bad as well sometimes:

acouseVoIPTest2.png

Thanks.

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Unfortunately, only the ISP can fix jitter so something is amiss with Charter's network, maybe due to the upgrade, maybe not. There's a nice little explanation of the various factors that interfere with VoIP in the newly updated version of the Guide (see link in my sig) that was generously contributed by Avedis53.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks so much Otto and great job on the technical guide.  I'll start by contacting Charter to get my jitter issue resolved.  That should take care of all the issues I'm experiencing.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Hmmm....

My results:

Jitter:  you to server:  0.4 ms

Jitter:  server to you:  1.1 ms

Packet loss:  you to server:  0.0%

Packet loss:  server to you:  0.0%

Packet discards:  0.0%

Packets out of order:  0.0%

Estimated MOS score:  4.2

You would appear to have an ISP-related problem.  Discarded packets are packets that have been delayed long enough to be useless.  Lost packets are packets that never made it at all.  Both of them are problems to VoIP, as the missing data can cause choppy audio ("Burst Loss"), or loss in voice quality ("Random Loss"), depending on whether large blocks of packets are lost all at once (causing choppiness and silences), or the packet loss is steady (causing a steady voice, but with occasional artifacts or a "metallic" or distant/synthetic sound that some people call "toilet bowl audio").

Your outgoing metrics are inadequate for decent VOIP results from what I've read.

Definitely get in touch with Charter to get a tech out there to run a line test.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Avedis53 and understood.  I'll be sure to get a Charter tech out here ASAP to test my line.  

Regards.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

You might also run a traceroute to see at what hops your packet loss is occurring. 

If you don't already have it, Pingplotter has a freeware version at their website:

http://www.pingplotter.com/

Run this and post your results if you want.  I'd be curious to see it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Two good ideas. I may test my jitter and traceroute when I get home tonight just to see what mine looks like. I've been fortunate enough to have never experienced poor call quality, dropped calls, or any of the other common complaints here.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

OK, I've done a command line trace route and one using PingPlotter; both to Google.com.  I let that run for about 10 minutes.  Here are the results respectively:

C:\Users\>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [173.194.37.83]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.49

2    95 ms     9 ms    28 ms  10.227.96.1

3    38 ms    10 ms   202 ms  dtr01smyrga-tge-0-0-0-3.smyr.ga.charter.com [96.34.72.124]

4   322 ms    81 ms    22 ms  dtr02sghlga-tge-0-2-0-18.sghl.ga.charter.com [96.34.72.42]

5    80 ms   118 ms    20 ms  crr02sghlga-tge-0-2-0-9.sghl.ga.charter.com [96.34.78.146]

6    22 ms    29 ms   207 ms  bbr02atlnga-bue-3.atln.ga.charter.com [96.34.2.72]

7     *       72 ms    46 ms  prr01atlnga-bue-3.atln.ga.charter.com [96.34.3.19]

8    83 ms    43 ms   102 ms  72.14.220.17

9    73 ms    19 ms     *     72.14.239.100

10    31 ms     *      159 ms  64.233.175.94

11    75 ms    64 ms   204 ms  atl14s08-in-f19.1e100.net [173.194.37.83]

Trace complete.

PingPlotterGrab.png

Thanks guys.

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.