What is happening with 3G?
jpenaflorida's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 3:32 AM

3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I'm currently being plagued by the flashing red 3G bars on my mcell. Over the last few weeks my mcell has gone from needing to be unplugged once a week to multiple times a day. I'm going to try the method over clocked mentioned and hope it helps. It seems randomly when it goes to flashing red sometimes it continues to work but others it does not. I've got a full gigabit network in my house and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Are both Ethernet ports on the mcell 10/100? Or do they support gigabit? Any ipswould be appreciated. This thing is driving me nuts lately

Scholar

• 

216 Messages

12 years ago

@Otto Pylot wrote:
I believe there's a little reset button (hole) on the back of the MicroCell. You might want to try that. I think you hold it in for 10 seconds but you may want to consult the instructions first just to make sure. For me, all I had to do was power cycle and the flashing red 3G light went back to green and has stayed there ever since. I think one of the reasons that VZs work better is that they are on a different technology which may make it more agreeable to signal booster/extenders than AT&T. Maybe less interference?

Wasn't there a long discussion a few months back about how pushing the reset button would "brick" the device?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Tried this a little while ago. I'll report back in the morning if I'm red light free

@overclockedpc wrote:

I also have had the flashing 3g light problem for a while and I MAY have come up with some kind of fix but need someone to help me test it. 

So, if your microcell is flahing a red 3g light, please try the following and let me know what happens.

1) With the microcell flashing red, unplug the ethernet cable while leaving power plugged in.

2) Wait 2 mnutes, unplug power cable.(whileethernet is unplugged).

3) Wait 30 seconds, plug power cable in with ethernet cable unplugged.

4) Wait 2 minutes, plug in ethernet cable. (while microcell is powered on)

5) Wait 2 minutes, unplug power cable (leaving ethernet plugged in).

6) Wait 30 seconds, plug in power cable. (with ethernet cable plugged in).

This should clear the red 3g light.  If it does not, try power cycling again (unplug power, wait 30 seconds and plug back in).

If anyone is dealing with the red 3g light issue and can try this, please report back and let us know if it works or not.  AT&T support is clueless on this issue, but maybe we can help each other find a solution.

Thanks for everyone's help in testing this.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

12 years ago

@E the P wrote:

@Otto Pylot wrote:
I believe there's a little reset button (hole) on the back of the MicroCell. You might want to try that. I think you hold it in for 10 seconds but you may want to consult the instructions first just to make sure. For me, all I had to do was power cycle and the flashing red 3G light went back to green and has stayed there ever since. I think one of the reasons that VZs work better is that they are on a different technology which may make it more agreeable to signal booster/extenders than AT&T. Maybe less interference?

Wasn't there a long discussion a few months back about how pushing the reset button would "brick" the device?

I don't recal that discussion but I haven't read everything here. I've used the reset button a couple of times and never had any problems. Can't see why they would put a reset button on the back to only have it brick the MicroCell. It's not marked Service Only. It's marked reset.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Mine went back to flashing red light at around 11pm last night so it only made it about 2 hours after trying overclocked's method.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

12 years ago

That's because there isn't a universal fix for the MicroCell being unable to properly reset itself after an update. I'm glad overclocked's method worked for him but tjhere seems to be a lot of MicroCell's out there who can't handle the recent round of updates. Probably due to a poorly designed set of chips that AT&T can't, or won't, properly address.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Is what you are saying, that the flashing red light is caused by a failure to properly process a firmware update?  My first one went for a year without an issue.  Why do you suppose it would suddenly change?  I replaced it with a new one and I think the longest this one has gone, without flashing red, is a few days.  Are they really updating that often?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Hey, AT&T... How about some technical information about this issue.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

12 years ago

@midget3376 wrote:

Is what you are saying, that the flashing red light is caused by a failure to properly process a firmware update?  My first one went for a year without an issue.  Why do you suppose it would suddenly change?  I replaced it with a new one and I think the longest this one has gone, without flashing red, is a few days.  Are they really updating that often?

I don't know, or think, they are updating that often but it could be that whatever they did, the new chipset doesn't understand what the mother ship is sending and tries to reset itself. Purely conjecture on my part though. In my case, the blinking red light happned about  3 or 4 months ago and was noticed in the morning. Typically, AT&T does their updates at night when there is the least likelyhood of service interruption so if it doens't work, you'll see the blinking green or red 3G light. I had never seen a blinking red 3G light before which meant a hardware failure. A simple power cycle fixed mine and has been trouble-free since. The assumption then was an update that failed to reset properly making the MicroCell think there was a hardware failure. I am on my third MicroCell. All three were replaced under warranty well over a year ago but the third one, my current one, was a version 2. I don't know if that makes any difference but this one has been rock solid ever since even thru multiple power outages and the dreaded blinking red 3G light  "update". The version numbe BTW is on the bottom of the MicorCell on the serial number sticker in very small print (V2).

Mentor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I have the same issue for the past week. The 3G light has been blinking. Every morning I have to reset and wait almost a half hour for it to re-connect.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.