Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Celebrate all that he does with a gift for every kind of dad!
Caps2014's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wed, Jul 2, 2014 6:27 PM

Stop Door to Door U-verse sales

I am a long time ATT wireless customer.  For the last 12 months, I have received multiple visits to my home by ATT reps trying to sell me U-verse.  I have also received copious mail with offers for U-verse.  My wireless account is coded for privacy.  I have asked them to stop mailing and coming to my home.  I have a no solicitation sign on my door.  I have spoken with the office of the president and multiple supervisors and managers on the wireless side.  Everyone claims they fixed the problem.  They claim they will look into the issue and call me back.

No calls have been returned and I still get mail and people coming to my door.  I have a nice picture of the last one before he ran off.

The Question:  how do I get ATT to stop soliciting me to buy U-verse.

Responses

skeeterintexas

ACE - Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

7 y ago

It's not because you have ATT wireless.  It's because we live in a free and independent society.

The D2D people are independent contractors.  The knock on EVERYONE'S door in a selected neighborhood.  They are not picking you out of the crowd...you're just in the crowd. 

The "No Solicitation" notice would hold more weight than whether you're an ATT customer or not.

Same with mailings...it's mass mailings.  Heck, I've had Uverse for over 7 years and I still get mailings from them.

1. Show the D2D people your "No solicitation" sign and ask that they respect it.

2. Get a Recycle bin and throw the mailings in there.

Don't mess with old people.  The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

I agree that the door to door U-verse is a problem- For me, the sales tactics have cemented the fact that I will never even consider U-verse as an option. I have had them visit my house on two seperate occasions, with different salesmen each time. Both times, they were exteremely obnoxious and used some of the most aggressive sales tactics I've ever seen. The last time they rang the bell at 7:30PM- I told them immediately to get off my property and to respect the no solicitation sign I have on my front door- The response was "but we're from AT&T and just need a few moments of your time".. I told them I wasn't interested and they viewed that as an opportunity to start talking about all the benefits of U-Verse. (Does this really get sales for them??)  Not wanting them to remain on my property, I told them the next call was to the police- they finally starting leaving, but talked about what a loss it was to me all the way down the driveway. 

Its a shame I've had to put up a permanent no solicitation sign on my front door. No one likes to be bothered in their own home, but these AT&T U-verse guys simply ignore it.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 y ago

It's sad that the D2D sales has deteriorated into what has been reported. 

I admit it, 7+ years ago when Uverse was being installed in my neighborhood, I was approached by a D2D salesperson.  We were one of the first (actually 2nd).  The guy was nice.  Left me the channel lineup card and returned the next day.  I got everything I was promised, but I understand that these people have become more aggressive and their tactics have evolved in telling 'tall tales' and blatantly lyng to get sales. 

It wasn't always that way.

Don't mess with old people.  The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

I wanted to add to my previous post because the U-verse people came back to my house- I'm pretty sure they are on a six month rotation. Different people this time but they were just as rude and pushy- I shut them down immediately, but again practically had to kick them off my property. I am getting to the point that I will turn on the hose and spray them away. ATT NEEDS TO END THIS SALES PRACTICE!!!!

dwinth

ACE - Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

6 y ago

I get mailings from Charter at least once a week. It is not a big deal. I throw them into the recycling bin that we have that gets picked up once a week.

I do not see any reason to waste my time by calling Charter to tell them to stop the mailings. Their mail is just like any other junk mail, old newspapers, recycliable cans and cartons that I throw into the bin.

I will say that I do not have the problem of any Charter Dirct TV, Dish or AT&T sales people showing up at my door. Of course, now that I have posted this, they will be showing up on a daily basis.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

Whose idea was it to send salespeople door to door? I cannot imagine anyone who wouldn't be annoyed by this practice. It's irritating, unwelcome and frankly infuriating. What's more troubling is that this happened at 7:30pm while we were eating dinner. The next time two teenagers show up at my door in the evening soliciting services I already have, I will cancel all services with AT&T. That is a promise. The only reason I haven't switched to Cox for internet service is because I loathe that company only slightly more than AT&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I retired from AT&T after 30 years of service.  I am a little ashamed of my company for this door to door solicitation and wish it would stop.  It's true---independent contractors are hired to represent AT&T.  And it really irritants me to no end at the contractor they hired here in Charlotte.  The company by no means lives up to AT&T standards.  AT&T needs to re-evaluate this option of door to door selling.  We really have no options except closing the door and not speaking with the salesmen coming to our door.  AT&T is not going to listen to us little guys....but they are ruining their reputation is a good company to deal with.  Wake up AT&T---listen to your loyal customers, employees, and the community--this is not what we want.  If you want new customers you just need to offer the great service and represent yourself.  

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

5 y ago

Do what I do.  I never open the door to strangers unless I know who it is or am expecting someone like a pizza delivery or a service person that I requested.  It can be a danger to open your door to a stranger. You do not know if it is going to turn into a home invasion or not.  Also confronting strangers could turn bad very fast.  You do not know how they will react.  They could very well attack you.  So be careful opening your door to strangers.  I read in the paper everyday about people being killed for picking a fight with strangers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

They still knock with no soliciting and no trespassing signs. The outsourced company in Charlotte, NC was out of control. I chased those m&^%$# f*&%$#@ off my doorstep a dozen times and they ignored the sign. Said they weren't selling, just informing me. The company in Charlotte, NC is called Capstone Consultants and it's run by Brandon West. He's a douchebag, a total douchebag. He says he works for AT&T but he is the "DEO" (doucebag executive officer) of this play company he created to sell this junk door to door. 

I have chased them off my property with my dog, an axe, a baseball bat but fell short of getting my gun out. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I had to D2D solicitors last night. I live in a gated community and they follow people in. We just purchased LARGE no soliciting signs and notified the police to where they will now ticket the solicitors in here. Even after telling the 2 young women they were not allowed in here they assured me "Oh yes we are and we got permission from the police". All lies. I'm the editor of the community newsletter and work closely with our HOA president who addressed this in last months newsletter. So there doesn't seem to be a way to quell this aggressive behavior. Maybe making an expample of a few, ticketing by law enforcement, will be of help next time. Just brazen.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 y ago

In most cases D2D salespeople work for a contracted company and not AT&T. 

I would ask to see ID from any individuals who are that aggressive, write down their info and ask who their supervisor is.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I just had an AT&T d2d sales person tell me the only I can get them to stop knocking on my door is to post a sign that says, "NO AT&T, NO IUNERVERSE! GO AWAY!" She said that was the only way they'd stop bothering me.

Great advertising for the company, huh? A big sign that tells everyone in the neighborhood that AT&T is a scum*bag company that has no respect for our request not to be harrassed. If they can't respect a customer's rights BEFORE you buy, what makes you think they'll respect your rights after you sign up? The only thing to do is vote with your money. Don't buy anything from AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 y ago

I believe a "NO SOLICITING" sign would suffice.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

No, unfortunately the No Soliciting sign does not work- I have one clearly posted and the last two Uverse salesman that showed up either lied and said they were doing surveys for ATT fiber optic internet OR just boldy stated they weren't really soliciting or selling anything. Whatever the case, I'm sure they have some kind of gray area response for every scenario

ACE - Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 y ago

Check with your local government to see if there are laws or rules covering D2D sales.  Some cities require permits for D2D sales people who must follow certain rules, like limiting hours and respecting signs.

My town has such a law and because of it, I rarely get anyone ringing my doorbell.  Usually it's just some poor elementary age kid that doesn't know what "NO SOLICITING" means.

Get started...

Ask a new question