Guru
trparky
My Device: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
4HD Profile. What does this mean?

So I have service and I'm about 500 feet from the VRAD.  Yeah, go ahead... be jealous. :smileyvery-happy:  So I have the 4 HD profile.  What does this mean?  Does that mean that I can record 4 HDTV programs at once?

What about future options?  Rumor has it that AT&T may be getting ready to deploy a 6 HD profile soon.  Does that mean that we'll be able to record 6 HD program at once?  Or are we going to be looking at requiring new hardware to do that due to Hard Disk Drive Input/Output bandwidth constraints?

aviewer
Topics: 23
Kudos: 396
Solutions: 363
Re: 4HD Profile. What does this mean?
trparky - 4 HD profile means you can have up to 4 different HD channels coming into your house simultaneously for watching & recording. The DVR has its own limitation.
It can only handle three HD. One must be SD, So, you cannot record 4 HD simultaneously. Only three, This includes the one being watched on the DVR. So, it is best to install the DVR on the least used TV. Nice to dream of the future, but best to wait until it is a reaity.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ACE - Professor
skeeterintexas
[ Edited ]

aviewer wrote:
trparky - 4 HD profile means you can have up to 4 different HD channels coming into your house simultaneously for watching & recording. The DVR has its own limitation.
It can only handle three HD. One must be SD, So, you cannot record 4 HD simultaneously. Only three, This includes the one being watched on the DVR. So, it is best to install the DVR on the least used TV. Nice to dream of the future, but best to wait until it is a reaity.

What aviewer said but to clarify, the 4th HD stream can be watched on a STB if the DVR is using up the other 3.  Hence the reason to have the DVR on the least used TV and NOT the most.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Guru
trparky

What happens if no STB is watching TV?  Are all four HD streams available for recording on the DVR?

ACE - Professor
skeeterintexas
[ Edited ]

trparky wrote:

What happens if no STB is watching TV?  Are all four HD streams available for recording on the DVR?

Sorry but no.  The DVR can only handle 3 HD streams at once.  That 4th stream would have to be SD.

Guru
trparky

Is this a hardware limitation or a software one?

JefferMC
Topics: 141
Kudos: 433
Solutions: 225
My Device: U-verse/VZW Samsung Galaxy S4

trparky wrote:

Is this a hardware limitation or a software one?

Yes. :smileywink:

I've assumed it was a performance problem with the lowest end DVR and was thus enforced in software across the platform.

Guru
baseballisback

trparky wrote:

So I have service and I'm about 500 feet from the VRAD.  Yeah, go ahead... be jealous. :smileyvery-happy:  So I have the 4 HD profile.  What does this mean?  Does that mean that I can record 4 HDTV programs at once?

What about future options?  Rumor has it that AT&T may be getting ready to deploy a 6 HD profile soon.  Does that mean that we'll be able to record 6 HD program at once?  Or are we going to be looking at requiring new hardware to do that due to Hard Disk Drive Input/Output bandwidth constraints?

That second part is only a rumor. No one knows.

I will extend that rumor by saying that someone posted a screen shot last year about this...the update was pushed out prematurely before being rolled back... it appears as if the fifth and sixth streams *might* be SD only, but things could always change.

Scholar
AlanF_1

skeeterintexas wrote:

trparky wrote:

Sorry but no.  The DVR can only handle 3 HD streams at once.  That 4th stream would have to be SD.

My profile is 0sd/4hd, ingress 0sd/4hd. I came here today to research this as I have 4HD recordings scedhuled today and tomorrow without conflict (all showing as recording at 8PM) and was wondering if it was a software update, or a function of moving to the power 45 internet. My DVR is the VIP 2250.

Thanks

Alan

uversesch.jpg

aviewer
Topics: 23
Kudos: 396
Solutions: 363
AlanF_1 - Yeah, this is the latest and greatest. Perhaps still in rollout. Some have it some do not. I do have it in CT. Your four recordings shpuld be good to go.
Employee
my thoughts
The above posts occurred inJuly 2013, at that time, if on 32M profile, WAN was 0/4, ingress was 1/3. During the 4th quarter of 2013, many markets received updates allowing ingress to be 0/4.

For understanding...
WAN in number and type of 4 inputs based on profile, 19M is 2SD/2HD, 25M is 1SD/3HD, and 32or 55M is 0SD/4HD.
INGRESS is number of DVR recordings at one time, 1SD/3HD had been standard till recent upgrade 0SD/4HD.
EGRESS is number of DVR recordings that can be viewed at one time, that is 3.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Posted from Asus SL101
Scholar
AlanF_1

my thoughts wrote:
The above posts occurred inJuly 2013, at that time, if on 32M profile, WAN was 0/4, ingress was 1/3. During the 4th quarter of 2013, many markets received updates allowing ingress to be 0/4.

For understanding...
WAN in number and type of 4 inputs based on profile, 19M is 2SD/2HD, 25M is 1SD/3HD, and 32or 55M is 0SD/4HD.
INGRESS is number of DVR recordings at one time, 1SD/3HD had been standard till recent upgrade 0SD/4HD.
EGRESS is number of DVR recordings that can be viewed at one time, that is 3.

Both my ingress and egress are 0SD/4HD, as I have 3 receivers I won't be viewing more than 3 at a time but it looks like I can view 4 hd if I had 4 recievers

Thanks

Alan 

ACE - Professor
skeeterintexas
[ Edited ]

AlanF_1 wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

trparky wrote:

My profile is 0sd/4hd, ingress 0sd/4hd. I came here today to research this as I have 4HD recordings scedhuled today and tomorrow without conflict (all showing as recording at 8PM) and was wondering if it was a software update, or a function of moving to the power 45 internet. My DVR is the VIP 2250.

Thanks

Alan

uversesch.jpg

Gotta watch the dates when resurrecting these old posts!

My original post was from July 2013 and at that time, the 4th HD stream had to be watched on a STB.

Since then the 0/4 profile was rolled out allowing 4 HD streams to be either watched or recorded. 

Scholar
AlanF_1

skeeterintexas wrote:

AlanF_1 wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

trparky wrote:

Thanks

Alan

uversesch.jpg

Gotta watch the dates when resurrecting these old posts!

My original post was from July 2013 and at that time, the 4th HD stream had to be watched on a STB.

Since then the 0/4 profile was rolled out allowing 4 HD streams to be either watched or recorded. 

I searched 4HD and this was the post at the top of the list, I didn't pay attention to the date,  Iguess its as equally confusing posting in this thread as a starting a new post. I am happy that I don't have to rechedule recordings or change 1 to SD.

Thanks

Alan

Guru
baseballisback
Alan -- There are rumors that more streams are in the works. Unfortunately, no one knows when these will come or if they'll be HD.
Posted from Samsung GT-I9300