aviewer
Topics: 23
Kudos: 405
Solutions: 365
Update rolling out - The good, the bad & the ugly - Please help
[ Edited ]

As some have posted there is a update rolling out. This is not the train wreck of the search and on-demand. It appears that  this update has changes that include -

Tips on the OK splash screen

Fewer clicks to reach the CC toggle.

Multiple Favorites guides

Improved picture

View next episode on recording stop menu

Please help. If anyone notices any other changes please post.

The good - The picture is great. It rivals FIOS. The CC access is improved, but, still not one button.

The bad - The favorites changes broke the ENTER button access to the favorites guide. It used to be that pressing ENTER- Down Arrow- OK displayed the favorites guide. With the new update - Pressing enter still produces a similar side  menu. The menu is improved - Favorites is at the top & CC farther down. If  pressing OK produced the Favorites guide, all would be well.  But, it does not. It produces another menu that starts with the full guide - which there is no need for - The full guide has it's own button.  And, a favorites guide button with the possiblity of additional favorites guides, Pressing OK on either the full guide or the Favorites highlights and checks the button & returns to the program that is playing.  NO guide -  Broken!

I have reported this to attcustomercare & working with them to resolve. The first they said I had a bad load & they reloaded. This did not help. They think it is just me. But, others have reported this behavior, earlier.

Please help - If you click the enter button & see CC in the side menu, you have the new update. If you have it, please try the favorites guide & post whether or not you get the guide displayed. If you do not have a favorites list, it is easy to build one with one channel.

The ugly - The tips on the OK splash screen. Not so much the meaningless drivel in the tips. That is easily ignored. Except for that poster that thought they were being reminded to pay their bill. The ugly part is that at&t would spend resources on it instead of something that can improve the system  - Such as testing to make sure it works - Such as - under the Main Menu swapping GUIDE at the top with Favorites (third) to make Favorites quicker to access (GUIDE already has its own button. It does not need to be first.  - Such as - checking usablity for more efficiencies. Such as listening to posters on what they need. OR, rather responding - Listening is of no value if it does not result in improvements.

View next episode on recording stop menu is only good if you want to erase later. If you erase first, the View next episode goes away. So, it needs a way to erase then view. Another button? or a set-up option. Also, it needs to be moved below erase on the menu.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
SomeJoe7777
Topics: 1,011
Kudos: 636
Solutions: 301
Re: Update rolling out - The good, the bad & the ugly - Please help
[ Edited ]

I now have the new firmware and you're correct about the favorites implementation. It appears to work as intended in the following locations:

- From the main menu: (Menu -> down arrow -> down arrow -> OK), which brings up the MY FAVORITES menu.
- Within the guide: (Guide -> Enter -> down arrow -> down arrow -> OK -> [choose a favorites list] -> OK), which brings up the chosen favorites menu.

Where the implementation is completely broken is within the quick popout menu.

- While watching TV, (Enter -> OK -> [choose a favorites list] -> OK). The only action this causes is to make the popout menu disappear. No guide actually comes up. There is a check mark next to the chosen favorites list that appears to be remembered by the STB, however, what this check mark means is unknown.

I believe that choosing a favorites list from this popout menu should do one of two things:

a) Bring up the chosen favorites guide. (I believe this is probably what was intended). This also mirrors the same behavior in the previous firmware version. However, if this is the case, the check marks are completely unnecessary and confusing since they represent nothing.

b) Set that favorites guide to be the default when pressing the Guide button. This would represent very different behavior from the previous firmware. It also doesn't make a lot of sense to put this selector in the popout menu, since this function is really a configuration option, not an immediate action function like the rest of the things in the popout menu. However, this functionality makes the check marks make sense. The check marks would indicate which favorites list is the current default for the Guide button. Sadly, this is not the function of this menu, since the Guide button always brings up the regular (all channels) guide, no matter what is checked here.

The most intuitive method they should implement is to copy DirecTV's functionality of the Guide button. First, there is a setting in the options for which favorites list is the "default". When you press the Guide button, that's the list that is shown. Pressing the Guide button again while the guide is up cycles through the other lists.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
aviewer
SomeJoe7777 - Thanks for checking out the behavior & posting what you observed & posting explanation of the check mark. Previous to this update, using the ENTER- Down Arrow- OK did produce a check mark on the Favorites button before it produced the guide image. That is what I expected the new one to replicate.

But, I like your interpretation better. If the guide button could be set to activate the selected favorites it would be better. Only the at&t developer/designer knows how it is supposed to work & they are not telling. I just tried that method & it does not work. The guide button still produces the full guide.
Scholar
peteyboy
@Somejoe777

Aviewer claims that the picture quality has improved,which I can agree.(I dont know if its comparable to Fios like aviewer said,a bit of a strectch I guess)

I think the average bitrate stream went from 5.7 mbps to an average of 6.5 mbps which any added bitrate is a plus.I would love to see it get to the 8mbps range in the future.

Can you verify Somejoe, since you have ways and equiptment to measure the bitrate stream.

Also, I agree that the favorites listing through the enter button does not work like it should.It works correct from the main menu listing though.
texasguy37
Topics: 1,793
Kudos: 245
Solutions: 274

Viewing the Interfaces tab of the UV Realtime tool, it appears that the bitrates are unchanged.  What would account for any improvement in picture quality would the process of upgrading the encoders.

aviewer
peteyboy - Thanks for checking the favorites function.

Picture quality is a lot of perception - Years ago I had Optimum in New Jersey & Cox in CT & just accepted them both as OK. When FIOS was swapped in in NJ I was very impressed with the picture. In reality it probably was not that much different than Optimum. When i first got U_verse I was not impressed with the picture, but direct comparison with OTA showed the two to be the same on my 50" Panasonic plasma..

I really like seeing detail - like fans behind the batter in a baseball game. I think the latest update has improved that detail & has more color & more contrast.

As for TVs I have two older Panasonic Plasmas picked because I thought they had the best picture on display. And, a new Toshiba LED that jumped out at me at Costco. In addition to the good stuff listed above the Toshiba has outstanding white. Most reviews look for good black, but the white really makes this picture sing.
Guru
trparky
My Device: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I have one of the new VIP2250 DVRs, the latest DVR model that AT&T has that stores 160 hours of HDTV programming.  One of the things that this particular piece of hardware has is a dedicated H.264 video decoder chip.  What does this mean?  It means that the video stream is being decoded in hardware as versus software like on the older boxes.

One of the things that I noticed right away when I was watching TV on this new box is that there is indeed a marked improvement in HDTV picture quality.  I was watching the movie "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" on one of the movie channels, I think it was FXMovie.  I remember a couple of years ago if you were watching something that would cause a lot of motion on the screen you'd see a muddy mess of compression artifacts.  Last night, I was watching it and during the scene in which the airplane flew through the big glass window causing it to shatter to pieces, the picture DID NOT become a muddy mess.  It was fluid, it looked beautiful!  And that was even with me standing two feet away from my TV screen!

I have to hand it to AT&T, I have indeed noticed a vast improvement in HDTV picture quality!  Now, if only I can con the support team into getting me a VIP2200 (the STB version of the VIP2250 DVR).  Fat chance of that happening.  Oh well, I made sure that the VIP2250 was on the big TV.

Scholar
peteyboy
aviewer,I'am like you that I like to see deatail in my sporting events.Like the fans in stands,facial stubs of the pitchers.Wrinkles,pimples,freckles and creases in peoples faces,blades of grass and texture and grains of dirt...lol

I'am also a DIY calibtator on avsforum.I have a colormunki display colorimeter that you can buy from around $150 at amazon and use with the free HCFR software found at avsforum and I also use the free calibration disc's (AVS709HD and Mascior's which is awesome ,GCD) found there as well.

I calibrated the THX mode on my Panasonic GT30 and my custom mode.One for day mode at 40ftl and the other for night at 30ftl with masciors calibration disc's 4% window patterns and my blu-rays and HDTV viewing have looked fantastic.

I strongly recommend anyone thats into calibrating to checkout the colormunki display + HCFR along with the free mascior disc and read up on the calibration for dummies guide and fine tune your HDTV for optimum picture.

Warning though ! It causes OCD as you will be fascinated by this hobby and will be calibrating trying different methods at all hours and time.
SomeJoe7777

trparky wrote:

I have one of the new VIP2250 DVRs, the latest DVR model that AT&T has that stores 160 hours of HDTV programming.  One of the things that this particular piece of hardware has is a dedicated H.264 video decoder chip.  What does this mean?  It means that the video stream is being decoded in hardware as versus software like on the older boxes.

All of the Motorola VIPxxxx and Cisco ISBxxxx boxes that AT&T has ever used for U-Verse have always done H.264 decoding in hardware.

The 1st-generation boxes (Motorola VIP1200, VIP1216, VIP1225, Cisco IPN330, IPN430, IPN4320) all used the Sigma Designs 8634 CPU, which has an integrated hardware H.264 decoder.

The 2nd-generation boxes (Motorola VIP2200, VIP2250, Cisco ISB7005, ISB7500) use the Broadcom 7405 CPU, which also has an integrated H.264 decoder, but is faster overall.

texasguy37

trparky wrote:

I have to hand it to AT&T, I have indeed noticed a vast improvement in HDTV picture quality!  Now, if only I can con the support team into getting me a VIP2200 (the STB version of the VIP2250 DVR).  Fat chance of that happening.  Oh well, I made sure that the VIP2250 was on the big TV.

You might consider getting the new Cisco ISB7005 wireless receivers which have the same hardware and memory founded in the new DVR's.  I have 2 of them, and they work great.  Much faster than the VIP1200 STB's.

Scholar
peteyboy

texasguy37 wrote:

You might consider getting the new Cisco ISB7005 wireless receivers which have the same hardware and memory founded in the new DVR's.  I have 2 of them, and they work great.  Much faster than the VIP1200 STB's.

I have 2 of those wireless receivers in my setup and these little stb are a miracle worker.

They produce a great reliable picture with nice quality.

I would of thought, that since they are wireless that there would be alot of pixelation and hitching but that is not the case.

Kudos to U-verse on this part.

Guru
trparky

Then something changed in hardware.  I don't know what but something must have changed.

VIP2250 has got to be two to three times faster in terms of operating speed.  The menus don't lag, when you press a remote button it responds instantly and far faster than the VIP1200 that I still have.  In doing so, this has improved the responsiveness of pause and rewind functions on the VIP1200 since the VIP1200 uses the VIP2250 as the buffer agent when using the functionality.

Combine that with the fact that HDTV picture quality is better on the VIP2250 than on the VIP1200, I'm thinking some serious amounts of changes happened in both hardware and software.

texasguy37

trparky wrote:

Then something changed in hardware.  I don't know what but something must have changed.

As SomeJoe pointed out, the new DVR's have a different, faster chip and more memory.  The increased speed of the new DVR's is noticable compared to the older units.

Scholar
michail77

I'm a bit confused.  Is the picture quality better because of new firmware or new hardware?

I've noticed improved PQ, especially how it was a few years ago.  I still see issues when there is a large amount of detail and movement.

texasguy37

michail77 wrote:

I'm a bit confused.  Is the picture quality better because of new firmware or new hardware?

I don't think it has to do with the latest firmware update.  One reason would be that AT&T has been going through the process of upgrading the encorders in their infrastructure.  Also, the new DVR's and wireless receivers, which have a different, faster chip and more memory, may deliver a better image to your TV.

SomeJoe7777
[ Edited ]

michail77 wrote:

I've noticed improved PQ, especially how it was a few years ago.  I still see issues when there is a large amount of detail and movement.

I personally have not noticed any picture quality improvements associated with this new rollout.  IMO, the picture quality has been relatively constant for several months.

If there has been picture quality improvements, it can only be attributable to a few things:

1. Upgrades in firmware or hardware at the encoders in the VHOs.

2. The 2nd-generation STBs, due to their different processor, may have additional capabilities associated with H.264 decoding that the 1st-generation units do not have, and therefore may be able to derive a better picture from the same encoded H.264 stream.

3. The 2nd-generation STBs, due to their different processor, may post-process the H.264 picture in a different way after it has been decoded.  This may include improvements in deblocking, filtering, deinterlacing, and/or resizing.

This is only speculation, I have no concrete information regarding any of these possibilities, nor have I been able to compare a 1st-generation STB and a 2nd-generation STB side-by-side.

STB firmware cannot improve the decoding, as the decoding is done in hardware on all units.  However, it could conceivably improve things that happen after the decoding process (see #3 above), although most of that is done in hardware also.

aviewer
I initiated this thread primarily to learn more about the function of the favorites and ENTER button. I included what I observed as changed since the date that it appeared that I received the update. I definitely observed a difference in the picture - a richness and clarity that was not there before. At first, I thought it was the new 2250 DVR and agreed with a previous post. Then I realized I was not actually watching on the 2250. I am watching on two 1200s. I was complaining so much I wanted to include something positive, I cannot say the reason for the difference. Only that I observed it and continue to observe it. And, it started after I received the new menus.

I do not really care why it changed. But, I guess there are people that do. Kind of reminds me of HDMI vs component - Who cares what it is, as long as the picture is awesome.
Voyager
RobVolVT

When I saw I had gotten this update and read may be better picture quality I was ecstatic. I have been an AT&T Wireless customer since when it was Bellsouth Mobility. When I moved a few months back I decided to try Uverse since I could get a bundle deal and cost wasn't bad. I love the quick menu and DVR service. One thing even after this update and may be a last straw for me is this. I have read all the threads here about HD Quality and it was getting better. I am close to the VRAD and have U300 with HD and HSI 24/3.. Internet not bad. I have read all the posts from Somejoe on this subject as I was lurking and since he is on this one he might help me.

Even after this update I am seeing way too much cluttered noise on moving from spanned viewing on football games and  other fast movement. I have a 82" Mitsubishi DLP 120hz and a 67" Samung LED DLP 120hz. I an not stealing your thread and god knows you all don't need another "Sat TV VRS Uverse" thread. Close up the picture is fine but when the movement gets fast its driving me crazy. I hoped this update would help.,

I have to be honest when I had my 67" Sammy on Dish it didn't matter what was thrown at, my picture rivaled and/surpassed" many of my friends flat panels whether LCD or Plasma. I wanna like uverse. This last update was my last straw. is there anything I can look at or is the compression more noticeable because I have such a large screen to fill? All tvs hooked with 1.4 HDMI and high end AV receivers I even went direct to TV as well and still bad motion artifacts.

Football season is coming so either this is fixable or not. 

The update did make the boxes more responsive though. 

Posted from Apple iPad
Employee
my thoughts
For fast moving panning such as sports, or racing recommend changing setting to 720p....menu...options....aspect ratios....720p...OK...

1080i vs 720p - Differences in display Technology

Interlaced vs. Progressive display technology 1080i - Interlaced

1080i represents 1,080 lines of resolution scanned in alternate fields consisting of 540 lines each. 1080i is the most commonly used HDTV format, and has been adopted by most television broadcast, cable, and satellite outlets as their HDTV broadcast standard.

720p - Progressive

720p represents 720 lines of resolution scanned sequentially. In other words, all lines are scanned in progressively, providing a more detailed high definition video image compared to interlaced display technology of the same resolution. Progressive scanning reduces the need to prevent flicker by filtering out fine details, so spatial (sharpness) resolution is much closer to 1080i than the number of scan lines would suggest.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Posted from Asus SL101
Scholar
bailorg

RobVolVT wrote:

I have to be honest when I had my 67" Sammy on Dish it didn't matter what was thrown at, my picture rivaled and/surpassed" many of my friends flat panels whether LCD or Plasma. I wanna like uverse. This last update was my last straw. is there anything I can look at or is the compression more noticeable because I have such a large screen to fill? All tvs hooked with 1.4 HDMI and high end AV receivers I even went direct to TV as well and still bad motion artifacts.

Football season is coming so either this is fixable or not. 

The update did make the boxes more responsive though. 

It's just my opinion, but even in stores, I have yet to see a 70"+ TV that has great PQ. Maybe if you are solely viewing Blu-ray discs the PQ might be great, but I'm willing to bet at that size and above you are going to see the flaws in the compression technology regardless of your provider.

Voyager
RobVolVT

I gave it a try but still seeing artifacts. Maybe I'll call AT&T and see about a change out to DTV

Thanks for the suggestion though. It did clear it up somewhat though.

Posted from Apple iPad
Voyager
RobVolVT
I never had them on my TV on Dish. Especially my LED DLP Samsung. The picture was like night and day difference on Uverse compared to it on that service. The Sat box setting with dish was 1080i but still even ESPN football in full motion was incredible. I understand the shortcomings of this service but at such a good price point, anything that I can do to maybe get it close would be nice.
Posted from Apple iPad
SomeJoe7777

my thoughts wrote:
For fast moving panning such as sports, or racing recommend changing setting to 720p....menu...options....aspect ratios....720p...OK...

Changing the output resolution will not help anything.  The user does not control how many lines the signal has nor how it was filmed.  The output resolution you set in the U-Verse STB should match the native display resolution of your TV.  This minimizes the number of resizes of the signal content that are required.

my thoughts wrote:
720p represents 720 lines of resolution scanned sequentially. In other words, all lines are scanned in progressively, providing a more detailed high definition video image compared to interlaced display technology of the same resolution. Progressive scanning reduces the need to prevent flicker by filtering out fine details, so spatial (sharpness) resolution is much closer to 1080i than the number of scan lines would suggest.

This is not correct.  1080i has a full 1920x1080 pixels (2.1 Mpixels) of spatial resolution.  Each 540-line field is taken from different lines on the camera's imaging sensor, so tiny details will still appear, but may not appear in both fields.  However, this is rendered much less important than it would seem due to modern deinterlacing techniques present in nearly all TVs.

720p has 1280x720 pixels (0.9 Mpixels) of spatial resolution, less than half the pixels that 1080i carries.

Guru
trparky

Then the newer hardware must be playing a role in making the picture quality better.

Employee
my thoughts
"720p ..... providing a more detailed ....image compared to interlaced display technology of the same resolution"
Translated 720p provides a better picture quality than 720i just as 1080p (blu-ray) provides a better PQ than 1080i.
No current transmission of 1080p by distribution that I am aware of , and yes there is compression technology used for uverse
Which is why some claim better PQ over airwaves from local channels vs delivered.

In effect compression and bandwidth are inverse, less compression requires more bandwidth resulting in fewer input streams on uverse.
With new profiles soon to be released would you prefer same 4 HD streams with less compression, or keep compression same and have 6 HD feeds.

I suspect if only two people in household prefer better PQ, those with 5-6 people (TVs) would opt for more streams,
possible compromise 4 HD, 2 SD (kids cartoons) with improved PQ.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Posted from Asus SL101
Guru
trparky
So what are you saying?  There will be newer, higher speed profiles?  And if so, why not just add enough bandwidth to the current profiles, which if you wanted to add say... an extra Megabit to the uVerse HDTV streams and add six total HDTV streams, you would need roughly 42 Mbps for just the TV streams alone.

So let's do some math...

This is the current setup with a 32,200 Kbps (31.4 Mbps) profile.

4 HDTV Streams * 6 Mbps (roughly) = 24 Mbps

31.4 Mbps - 24 Mbps = 7.4 Mbps (Reserved for Internet and Phone)

So, in order for six HDTV streams with an added Megabit, it would be the following math.

6 HDTV Streams * 7 Mbps = 42 Mbps

42 Mbps + 8 Mbps (Reserved bandwidth for Internet and Phone) = 50 Mbps (or 51,200 Kbps Profile)

I have a feeling that one of the new profiles is probably going to be at the very least a 50 Mbps profile capable of carrying 6 HDTV streams in total.

Employee
my thoughts
The future is the future.... http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=23506&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=35661
list future speed (profile not internet) up to 75 for DSL and 45 for adsl2+

Most recent reports is short term for 45M profiles with 30/3 for internet for those with headroom to support (need about 54m at NID/RG to qualify)

With new 589 RG, pair bond, vectoring should see 100+ raw to allow 75M profile, internet speeds 50-60, next couple years.
I know of current account with 110M inid at 1800 feet (each line supporting 55M) still on inid profile of 25M, with 18 internet.

So change is coming, how fast, and at what price is still unknown. Above my pay grade.
Posted from Asus SL101
Guru
trparky
[ Edited ]

Some people were saying that we may see these upgrades as early as the end of the year, possibly within the next two months.  Do I believe that last part (the two months part)?  Not really.

All I do know is that AT&T needs to do something here.  With the likes of TWC and Charter actively advertising 30 and 50 Mbps Internet plans on TV, uVerse needs to do something very quickly.

I'm about 500 feet (the VRAD is practically my neighbor, six houses down the street) from the VRAD with a 3801HGV and my max downstream speed is 57,931.  The new profile should fit into this nicely and if it doesn't, I'll be requesting that they either get me one of those NVG589 gateways and see what it does with a single pair and if it doesn't meet the needs, pair-bond me.

Employee
my thoughts
That is the basic future, any profile over 45M is going to be achieved by pair bonding, 589 RG, with cat5 home run only (no coax diplexer, no quad, no cat3 wiring)

New line has to be condition (why they are hiring and training so many temp splicers), provisioning, and spare pairs available.
The best profiles (75)will be for those already on 32 (loop length less than say 2000 feet), those on 25 profile will probably end up with 60M profile.

Note this is not going to happen overnight, and will only be for those requesting the profile (higher monthly fees)
while lower tier account will stay on single pair 25, 32, or 45 profile based on what can be supported using the 3800 and 3801 RGs

********* Please remember these are my thoughts and not statements of facts . ********
Posted from Asus SL101
Guru
trparky

Are there any plans on increasing the amount of HD streams that will be able to be sent to the home?  If so, are they going to allow for more HDTV streams to be recorded?  I'd like to have six HDTV streams to be sent to the home and able to record five at the same time.

As for the higher speed Internet tiers, I'll probably get an upgrade from the current 24 Mbps package that I have now.  I used to have TWC for the triple-play but for whatever reason I was having more and more glitches with TV where the TV would pause, drop audio, etc. and none of the techs knew what was going on.  So I switched to uVerse and have been happy ever since, no picture or audio issues.  But, I did have 50 Mbps on TWC so getting an Internet tier from AT&T that would put me closer to 50 Mbps would be very nice.

So, with all of what you just said... I have a feeling that I'm going to have an NVG589 some time in the future.