Teacher
RjinWI
Total Home DVR

I have a total home DVR from AT&T. I asked for an additional wiress remote control.  The feature was added by placing a USB stick in the front USB slot.  For the most part it works good. (Some drop out here and there)

I know when I was with DireecTV, they eventually added a wiress remote control that worked great.

Any news on the AT&T front as it relates to a wireless remote, and thus getting rid of that USB stick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

aviewer
Topics: 23
Kudos: 404
Solutions: 365
Re: Total Home DVR
RjinWI - I am thinking we will not see a physical remote like the standard remote that works wirelessly.

Apps are available for IOS devices that control the STBs via w-fi. These are still in primitive stages & only control the STBs.

But, I think it is the direction of the future. I suppose the wi-fi functionality could be built in to a regular remote, but apps are easier to change & it is up to the customer to buy the physical device.

If you have an IOS device & want to try an app try the Buddy TV. It looks just like the U-verse remote. It does have a power button. It is missing STB volume/mute. You can easily change channels on a distant STB.

As far as improving the current remote -
If you hold it vertically touching your chin, it uses your head as an antenna & works better.

Also. I found one of these in the battery compartment makes it work better on channel changes. -
http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Innovations-A-BOOSTER-Universal-Antenna/dp/B00009WCAP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=U...
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Teacher
RjinWI

I must say Direct TV, and Dish Network provide a superior Remote Control option.  No need for special adapter that sticks out of the front of the receiver (Hint at&t)  (Why couldn't they put in on the back)

Roko Wireless remote with Head Phone Jack.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate. 

aviewer
RjinWI - RE: (Why couldn't they put in on the back)

Because the IR sensor is on the front. Since you mention it - the USB only provides power, so, it might work better on the back if there is IR corruption.

There was one case, where the RF STB was not hidden & the radiation generated by the stick affected an STB in another room.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Teacher
RjinWI

The remote that I'm referring to is not an IR  it is and RF.  The RF receiver doesn't need to be in the front as it doesn't need to see anything.  As far as interference, that's a new one.  I had a DirectTV first edition RF remote and they placed it on the back of the unit. 

Teacher
RjinWI

Only a suggestion.  AT&T uverse behind the game. (802.11 a/b/g/n) as well.   No response needed. 

aviewer
[ Edited ]

RjinWI - Your OP said - The feature was added by placing a USB stick in the front USB slot. Also, the tone was that it was a "quick & dirty design". So, I thought you knew how it worked. Maybe I read it that way because I knew how it works.

It is a "self contained" converter. It accepts RF from the remote and produces IR to control the DVR. It is an IR blaster.
THe USB connection is for power, only. Either one will work if the sensor sees the IR.

I can see where you would expect it to work the same as the "integrated" RF solution you experienced before. But, it does not.

It is underpowered on the RF side. It includes the same deficiencies of the standard IR remote. It must be hidden from ambient light and other STBS (to prevent false IR on that STB).

The STB may react slowly causing the user to enter extra button pushes. With a visible STB you can watch the green light blink. But, if it is hidden you cannot.

With this in mind reread my post #2.