Contributor
ihateat t
NVG510 signal weak Netgear WN3000RP & Edimax range extenders dont work, what does?

NVG510 signal weak Netgear WN3000RP & Edimax range extenders dont work, what does?

JefferMC
Topics: 141
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 228
My Device: U-verse/VZW Samsung Galaxy S4
Re: NVG510 signal weak Netgear WN3000RP & Edimax range extenders dont work, what does?

The best alternative is an access point or wireless router connected back to the NVG 510 using a Cat 5/5e cable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Contributor
ihateat t
Re: NVG510 signal weak Netgear WN3000RP
Not real tech savvy but I guess that means I buy another wireless router, plug it into the NVG510 run the wire "overland" to a new location? If I couple the wire to the existing router & relocate it (its not well centered in the home), I'd have too big of signal loss?
JefferMC

Relocating the RG to a more central place in the home is another option to consider.  If you can find the appropriate cable to get you back to where the NVG510 is connected now then sure, try that first.

If you decide to go with my first suggestion (an additional Access Point/Wireless Router), check out post 13 in this thread for how to configure a consumer wireless router as an access point.  Physically, you just need to run a Cat5/5e patch cable between LAN ports on the RG and the wireless router and power your wireless router up.  The post above will tell you how to configure.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Mentor
Wineaux

You should be able to configure your Netgear router as a Wireless Access Point only.  I had to do that with my WNDR3700r1 in order to get it to play nicely with the NVG510.  It was a total pain in the <Rick Perry> though to do, and took a LONG time on the phone with a Netgear tech in order to get it all working correctly.

On the other hand, you could start asking uVerse support and your local tech's for the new NVG589 which actually has a decent wireless radio in it with 4 antennas and good range, plus it's truly bridgeable, so you can use your Netgear router as it was designed to be used should you prefer.

Me?  I'd do whatever it took to get the new NVG589 and ditch that Pace piece of poo that you're using right now...

JefferMC

Wineaux wrote:

You should be able to configure your Netgear router as a Wireless Access Point only.  I had to do that with my WNDR3700r1 in order to get it to play nicely with the NVG510.  It was a total pain in the <Rick Perry> though to do, and took a LONG time on the phone with a Netgear tech in order to get it all working correctly.

On the other hand, you could start asking uVerse support and your local tech's for the new NVG589 which actually has a decent wireless radio in it with 4 antennas and good range, plus it's truly bridgeable, so you can use your Netgear router as it was designed to be used should you prefer.

Me?  I'd do whatever it took to get the new NVG589 and ditch that Pace piece of poo that you're using right now...

Um, the NVG 510 is not Pace, but is also Motorola.  Whether or not it is a piece of poo I will not address.  NVG 589 are in extremely limited distribution and the poster is not likely to get one to address a wireless range issue.

Mentor
Wineaux

The NVG510's are no longer being offered in my area.  They're being replaced as soon as one fails, and all new installs will be done with the NVG589.  There  will only be two RG's in the field for the tech's to support, instead of the 6-7 that there are now.

There is an old saying of, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."  Start squeaking and do so loudly!  This is how you can move to the head of the line.  It also doesn't hurt to actually know what you're asking for when talking to support and/or tech's in the field.

I stand corrected on the manufacturer.  My bad.

Employee
my thoughts
The 589 is a leased RG for those with TV service accounts, while the 510 is a purchased RG for non tv accounts.10 is non TV, the OP option is to PURCHASE another 510 or the newer Pave 5031, the 510 comes with a one year warranty but the customer is not claiming the device is defective rather his placement is not ideal, options include moving RG either self or billable tech visit (special request move order), add extender (OP original ideal) by direct connect Ethernet cable or purchase 5031.

For wineaux if truly went from 510 to 589, expect to start paying $6 / month lease for HSIA equipment, or ask to purchase a 5031 returning the 589 if do not want higher monthly fee.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Posted from Asus SL101