Teacher
NCite45
Re: iOS 6.0 Triple Data Usage on WiFi and 3G
As feared, my optimism was premature, the data drain issue continues. Guess I have no choice but to play along...but only until my patience with Apple evaporates.
Posted from Apple iPhone
ACE - Professor
GeekBoy
My Device: iPhone 5 - Black 64GB

Please answer a few questions for me.  What model iPhone do you have? (3GS, 4, 4s or 5?)  What version of iOS are you running on your iPhone now?  Is this the same version which was running when the problem started?  If not, what version were you running when the problem started?  Did you always have the data usage problem on that version of iOS?  If not, what was the last thing you changed/installed before the problem began?  When you performed your iOS update, did you do it OTA (usign wifi) or were you tethered (using iTunes)?

I have physically worked with a couple dozen iPhones (3GS, 4, and 5) at my office and none of them seem to be showing any signes of this "inflated data usage", so I am trying to see if I can see any pattern to the differences.  Almost every iPhone I have touched has been upgraded from iOS 5 to iOS 6 and now 6.0.1.  The only exceptions are iPhone 5's which started at iOS 6 and were upgraded to 6.0.1.  Most of my updates have been done tethered to iTunes, but a few of the 6.0.1 updates were done OTA.  IIRC, all of the updates from iOS 5 to iOS 6 here have been tethered updates, none of those were done OTA.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Teacher
NCite45
Thx for helping
4s
Currently Ios 6.0.1
Problem started a few weeks into 6.0 I noticed it when my battery life was severely reduced and phone ran warm. I really can't remember any settings changes but I did install Spotify which I since deleted. I also deleted and reinstalled twitter bc I guess the cache was hoarding graphics and ballooned the app to almost one gig.
My upgrade to ios 6.0.1 was via wifi

Hope this helps. One additional note, don't know if it has significance. I first realized the drain when my phone made a bleep while charging and woke the phone from standby...the sound it makes when you first connect the charger. The charger is fine and connection was solid...no short. The strange thing is it was fully charged when I checked prior but after the bleep it was at 99%, so draining even tho plugged in. Still don't know what caused the bleep.

Thanks again.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Tutor
Mesadabree
AT&T told my hubby it was his Os6 and told me it was because I didn't update, I have heard every excuse from AT&T, I live to close to tower, I live too far from tower, I live between towers. Just got another overage from AT&T. I don't use pandora or download a bunch of videos or watch movies, I don't use a lot of apps, I do play words with friends and farm story, and go on a site, none of that should be a problem. These overages are redic, I'm sick not even on my cell and used 2 gigs in 4 days!!! Nothing running in Backround and location services shut off, idk why I'm going thru all this data when I can't even keep a cell connection period
Posted from Apple iPhone
Tutor
Mesadabree
Could your iPhone be hacked?

September 3, 2012 is proof that owning an Apple computer doesn't mean your information is entirely safe from Internet ne'er-do-wells.
On Monday, the hacker group AntiSec wrote of how they had breached an FBI computer in March and gathered 12 million Apple UDIDs, or Universal Device IDs. Of these 12 million, 1 million were made public.
"[W]hile none of the data is personal information, it can potentially be tied back to device owners, names, and addresses," Lifehacker reports.
If you own Apple products and are concerned your UDID may have been leaked, there are several databases available to help you dig through the list of released information.
First, use the website whatsmyudid.com to figure out how to access your UDID, which can easily be found by plugging Apple devices into iTunes. Next, copy and paste the ID into The Next Web's data checker, or use tech consultant Sean MacGuire's website to quickly scan through the hacked IDs.
Unfortunately, if you want to be absolutely sure your data wasn't released, you have to download the AntiSec file and sift through it yourself. And while it's still worthwhile to check, since only 1 in 12 IDs were released, AntiSec could still have your info.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Scholar
the gryphon
My Device: Iphone 4s (previously 4, 3GS)

I'm on an ip5 on IOS6. Husband is on a 4 on IOS6.

Issues began mostly with IOS6, though I noticed some leakage via the previous youtube app with the older IOS.

Mentor
mike2854
My Device: iPhone 4S

I think what some of y'all may be doing is updating apps without knowing it, which can be turned off so you can update them when you are using wi-fi and not using your data plan.  That could be why your data is going up in the middle of the night. 

Scholar
the gryphon

mike2854 wrote:

I think what some of y'all may be doing is updating apps without knowing it, which can be turned off so you can update them when you are using wi-fi and not using your data plan.  That could be why your data is going up in the middle of the night. 

This is NOT the case for me. Again, I've been using the iphone for a VERY LONG time. I know my usage and my trends. I don't update apps on 3G.

ACE - Scholar
jane697
My Device: Apple iPhone 5

mike2854 wrote:

Of course, since iPhones perform app updates only in the middle of the night, and only when not connected to wifi...right? :smileywink:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Mentor
mike2854

Uhhh....you can go to settings, itunes & app stores, and flip the app option to off (same w/music and books). 

Of course I know updates aren't just in the middle of the night. 

Former Community Manager
jamileh
My Device: iPhone 5 & Samsung Focus

It's important to remember that your data usage is not reported real time. "Middle of the night" data use reports don't necessarily mean that's when the data was used. 

Take a look at this article regarding usage details: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=52377&cv=820&_requestid=872287#fbid=jLGlVFsUCPY

Specifically - "Usage reports may take up to five days to post. Additional delays of up to 60 days are possible for reports that include data used while roaming on another carrier's network."

@the gryphon - Please make sure your phones are updated to the latest version of the OS. If you're still seing increased/unexplained data use, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Please include the type of phone and Previous/Current Data use. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Scholar
the gryphon

I think it's also important to factor in who has LTE and who does not. LTE, according to independent tests DOES use more data.

My own uptick is minimal, but as I said, I've watched it. I literally watched the numbers go up while downloading an app on wifi. Not a lot, but some.

With LTE set to launch here soon, I'm worried that my current 1G will not be enough. I normally use about 300mb, but since IOS 6 I'm using 500-600mb.

Former Community Manager
jamileh

That's a great point. 

I know that my data use increased when I got an LTE phone simply because it was so awesomely fast that I used it more.  :smileyhappy:

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Scholar
the gryphon

jamileh wrote:

That's a great point. 

I know that my data use increased when I got an LTE phone simply because it was so awesomely fast that I used it more.  :smileyhappy:

It' also USES more data itself, something about packet loss lol. 

http://mashable.com/2012/10/01/lte-versus-3g-data/

Voyager
vbarun0

FYI,

I send a message to jamileh yesterday evening about the sudden increase in data usage and today I got a call from Chris P. the AT&T Social Media Mgr. After reviewing my data usage patterns before the upgrade he agreed to refund my overcharges for the past 2 months. He was very friendly and we had a discussion on what might be causing this issue and the different settings that could be involved (i.e. location services). 

I also installed Data Manager yesterday to keep better track on when and where the phone uses cell data. Maybe it will help narrow down the root cause...

Former Community Manager
jamileh

Thanks for the update! I'm glad Chris was able to help out. 

--------------

Mentor
mike2854

What is the exact title of the data manager app that one can download?

Scholar
the gryphon

mike2854 wrote:

What is the exact title of the data manager app that one can download?

I have several, but like dataWIZ the most.

Teacher
NCite45

I've been using DataWiz as well to monitor the bleeding. Also strange enough I've been bleed free for about a week now, the data drain seemed to have stopped (or paused) as mysteriously as it started, tho history dictates this is no reason for celebration.

Posted from Apple iPhone
wingrider01
Topics: 98
Kudos: 426
Solutions: 212
My Device: Iphone 3GS

jane697 wrote:

mike2854 wrote:

Of course, since iPhones perform app updates only in the middle of the night, and only when not connected to wifi...right? :smileywink:

and you do  know that when the phone goes into hibernation it turns the wifi modem off and just keeps the cellular radio up and running.

Mentor
mike2854
[ Edited ]

And when you turn the phone on from hiberation, the wi-fi comes up immediately before you can do anything.

wingrider01
Topics: 98
Kudos: 426
Solutions: 212
My Device: Iphone 3GS

mike2854 wrote:

And when you turn the phone on from hiberation, the wi-fi comes up immediately before you can do anything.

depending on how fast the  security connection to the wifi hotspot responds. have seen a notiable delay. Thing is if update over the air for a app is on then the apps will be updated on the cellular radio while the phone screen is in hibernation. Data IS transfered when the phone is in hibernation, I get a average of 200 emails or more a day through my exchange server and they come in if the phone is in hibernation or not, so during that time they are using the cellular connection but the phone is still in hibernation

ACE - Scholar
jane697

the gryphon wrote:

I think it's also important to factor in who has LTE and who does not. LTE, according to independent tests DOES use more data.

My own uptick is minimal, but as I said, I've watched it. I literally watched the numbers go up while downloading an app on wifi. Not a lot, but some.

With LTE set to launch here soon, I'm worried that my current 1G will not be enough. I normally use about 300mb, but since IOS 6 I'm using 500-600mb.

Data transmission overhead notwithstanding, I would imagine any increase in data usage over LTE will be largely due to what type of data you're pulling and where--e.g., maybe over LTE if you go to a website the non-mobile version (i.e., regular) is opened...or some video or audio streaming site detects that you have an LTE connection and streams a higher-bitrate video/audio stream instead of a lower-bitrate version.  I mean, it's not as if you'd be using up any more data downloading a 1 MB text file, email message, or opening a mobile-version website over LTE than you would over 3G.  I know my data usage hasn't increased substantially since I've started using my iPhone 5...and I haven't changed any of my usage habits (e.g., try to be on wifi more than on LTE, consciously try to monitor what I'm downloading over LTE, etc.)...and before anyone offers that maybe I'm just not in an area that has great LTE coverage--if that were the case I would not have bothered pulling the trigger on an iPhone 5 on day one...plus I'm in the Sacramento CA area where there is pretty decent LTE coverage, especially at the place I work where connecting personal devices to the corporate network is not allowed--meaning, my iPhone is connected to LTE for roughly 10 hours every day I go to the office.

Scholar
the gryphon
[ Edited ]

jane697 wrote:

the gryphon wrote:

Data transmission overhead notwithstanding, I would imagine any increase in data usage over LTE will be largely due to what type of data you're pulling and where--e.g., maybe over LTE if you go to a website the non-mobile version (i.e., regular) is opened...or some video or audio streaming site detects that you have an LTE connection and streams a higher-bitrate video/audio stream instead of a lower-bitrate version.  I mean, it's not as if you'd be using up any more data downloading a 1 MB text file, email message, or opening a mobile-version website over LTE than you would over 3G.  I know my data usage hasn't increased substantially since I've started using my iPhone 5...and I haven't changed any of my usage habits (e.g., try to be on wifi more than on LTE, consciously try to monitor what I'm downloading over LTE, etc.)...and before anyone offers that maybe I'm just not in an area that has great LTE coverage--if that were the case I would not have bothered pulling the trigger on an iPhone 5 on day one...plus I'm in the Sacramento CA area where there is pretty decent LTE coverage, especially at the place I work where connecting personal devices to the corporate network is not allowed--meaning, my iPhone is connected to LTE for roughly 10 hours every day I go to the office.

I don't HAVE LTE.  Or rather. I didn't until today. I don't think folks' usage changes. I think how the phone handles it has changed. Meanwhile.Mine didn't have LTE til today. So theres something with IOS6.... 

I linked a site earlier that compared 3G to LTE for the same *services* (not just websites). Have a look.

Scholar
the gryphon

Last night, for the first time in the many years that I've had an iphone, I exceeded my data plan. My usage for November (NO LTE) was a little more than double my norm.

Contributor
jrsc

Add me to the list - my billing cycle ends on 12/9 and I am at 700 mb of usage on a 200 mb plan.   I called and the customer service person noted my account and claims that once the bill hits they will reverse the charges - we shall see.  This started in early November for me.  I didn't think much of the first warning because we were out of town and away from wifi for three days and watched some videos - although I figured I had done similar things and never had a problem.  However, after that three day trip at the beginning of my billing cycle everything else has been the same as I always would do.  Since I first got the iphone in June 2011, I have never once gone over my 200mb plan.  I even used it for 10 days away from wifi on vacation in July and didn't go over the 200 mb limit.  I have been trying to find the culprits, but to no avail.  I am running iOS 6.0.1and have not done anything out of the ordinary for my normal usage.  I just noticed that in the settings - general - cellular options there was an on/off option for the Use cellular data for passbook updates which was turned on.  I have just now turned that off.  I noticed that the passbook was a new feature in the last software update, so I'm wondering if this could be related - I will see.  At any rate, it may really have been related to the most recent iOS update for me.  I only update the iOS when connected to the computer and don't connect to my computer very often and am not sure when I actually updated - but the beginning of November sounds about right. I am curious to hear if others find/have found resolutions.

Contributor
nickE10mm
Re: Excessive data usage after upgrading to IOS 6 because of unexplainable change in settings

Thought I'd add to this .... 

I upgfraded my iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 a few days back and I've already gone through 1.5GB in the first week.  NOT NORMAL!!!!  I'm on Wifi as soon as I get home and rarely use data at work.  I restored from backup of iPhone 4 so its not any new app settings.  Everything LOOKS like its the same but my data use has tripled, at least.  I've even had LTE turned off after the first two days after I got the iPhone 5.  Not onlly that, my Wifi is working correction (it jumps on networks that it knows) so I'm baffled as to why this is happening except that something  changed on the network (AT&T) or hardware (Apple) side.

Tutor
99iphone

I just upgraded to an iPhone 5 from iPhone 4. I did a restore to factory settings anupgraded to IOS 6.02, and then a restore from my iPhone 4 backup. The iPhone 4 was running iOS 6.02. The day after the upgrade, while the phone was on my desk connected to Wi-Fi, it did a 180MB data trasnfer at mid-morning. Since my data plan was 200MB and I had never gone past 100MB, this was way out of norm. AT&T was gracious to claimed that they will refund the $15 additional data charge. But now I have been turning off the cellular data since I do not want to be surprised with such a large download any time of the day. It is particularly inconvinent since I cannot get text with cell data off. looked at all my settings. The only things on was Siri, iCloud (contacts, calendars, reminders, safari, notes, passbook), PhotoStream (there were no photos on the phone), and Documents and Data. The FaceTIme and Documents and Data did have Use Cellular Data On. However, Mail was set to manual fetch. Cellular Data was off in Safari, iTunes & App Store (with automatic downloads off), Podcasts. Numbers abd Pages had iCloud off.

I have now gone back and turned off iCloud and Documents & Data. Is there something else I need to turn off to prevent these large cell data transfers from occurring while the phone is just sitting on my desk? I had seen a few 4-5MB transfers in the middle of the night with iPhone 4. I reported a bug to Apple, but they claimed nothing was wrong.

ACE - Scholar
jane697

99iphone wrote:

I just upgraded to an iPhone 5 from iPhone 4. I did a restore to factory settings anupgraded to IOS 6.02, and then a restore from my iPhone 4 backup. The iPhone 4 was running iOS 6.02. The day after the upgrade, while the phone was on my desk connected to Wi-Fi, it did a 180MB data trasnfer at mid-morning. Since my data plan was 200MB and I had never gone past 100MB, this was way out of norm. AT&T was gracious to claimed that they will refund the $15 additional data charge. But now I have been turning off the cellular data since I do not want to be surprised with such a large download any time of the day. It is particularly inconvinent since I cannot get text with cell data off. looked at all my settings. The only things on was Siri, iCloud (contacts, calendars, reminders, safari, notes, passbook), PhotoStream (there were no photos on the phone), and Documents and Data. The FaceTIme and Documents and Data did have Use Cellular Data On. However, Mail was set to manual fetch. Cellular Data was off in Safari, iTunes & App Store (with automatic downloads off), Podcasts. Numbers abd Pages had iCloud off.

I have now gone back and turned off iCloud and Documents & Data. Is there something else I need to turn off to prevent these large cell data transfers from occurring while the phone is just sitting on my desk? I had seen a few 4-5MB transfers in the middle of the night with iPhone 4. I reported a bug to Apple, but they claimed nothing was wrong.

If you haven't already, you may want to also check that diagnostics is turned off as well:

Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Don't Send

Scholar
the gryphon

jane697 wrote:

99iphone wrote:

If you haven't already, you may want to also check that diagnostics is turned off as well:

Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Don't Send

fwiw: apple has repeatedly told me that doesn't count against our data, but better safe than sorry when there's such an issue.