johninsj
Topics: 21
Kudos: 90
Solutions: 50
My Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Re: Anyone seeing high data usage?

lylone wrote:

But WeatherBug, email and AP should be using the wifi if it is available. All these used it when it was available on the previous phones.

No, I don't run Facebook, Twitter or Linked In from my cell phone.  I did about a year ago but don't care about everytime someone sneezes or etc.

So as an experiment turn them off. All day. Because you're not seeing real time data at 12:xx, that's just when the day's usage is getting reported.

If you enabled facebook or twitter or linkedin (there are a few more) accounts on the phone, it will also be pulling updates in the people hub all day, that's why I asked.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
johninsj

My usage:

Lumia 920 started in Nov. Prior to that was HTC Titan, and iPhone4. Note usage is failry consistant.

usage.jpg

One last question - do either of you have a "microcell" at home to boost your signals?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Teacher
casy25
[ Edited ]

I can't figure out how to get the image of my usage to post, but my usage has doubled since I started using this phone at the end of December...Just for the past 3 months this has been happening.  No microcell here.  Just using wifi all day and night, unless I happen to go out, which is never more than 2 hours on any given day and sometimes not at all.

Scholar
lylone
My Device: Nokia Lumia 920
[ Edited ]

Here is the scope of my data.  Got a L900 in December and the L920 halfway through January.

Flash.jpg

Oh and 12:24a is not the only time data is being reported.  It is just during the time when I know I am at home and the device is hooked up to wifi.  and I don't have microcell at home

johninsj

Well, clearly something is buring data, and clearly it's not "just because you have a lumia 920" or I would be seeing it too.

So, please do try uninstalling those apps, or at least disabling background procesing for them for a couple days.

I would appreciate the experiement. When you do disable bg and/or uninstall them, also power cycle your device... hold power until it says goodbye... wait for it to go dark, then press power button again.

Then use as normal. Oh, only last thought. Your email accounts... what kind are they? exchange? imap? pop? how often do you have them checking? Is there anything "stuck" in an outbox for any of the accounts?

Teacher
casy25
I have virtually nothing running but email on my phone. I have a weather app that doesn't check unless I open it. I also get very little email, so even if it's checking frequently, it's not actually downloading anything to my phone. And anyway, I'm an on wifi about 90% of each day, so I don't understand how for the maybe 2 hours I'm out of my house not on wifi I can be using this much data!
Scholar
lylone
[ Edited ]

I have two pop email accounts and Weatherbug.  I removed everything else.  Only background running is Weatherbug.

I will see what happens tonight.  

Then maybe wipe the device and just use it as a cell phone one day and see what happens.

johninsj

How often are the POP accounts checking email?

Why leave weatherbug running? Unless you intend to turn off it next if data still is high?

No need to "wipe" the device. You can turn off cellular data in settings and just use wifi for data if that's what you want. Data use is 0 with cellular data off.

johninsj

casy25 wrote:
I have virtually nothing running but email on my phone. I have a weather app that doesn't check unless I open it. I also get very little email, so even if it's checking frequently, it's not actually downloading anything to my phone. And anyway, I'm an on wifi about 90% of each day, so I don't understand how for the maybe 2 hours I'm out of my house not on wifi I can be using this much data!

How much data are you using, Casy? How many email accounts? What kind (POP/IMAP?) How often do you check for email? (checking itself uses data...)

johninsj

lylone wrote:

Only background running is Weatherbug.

Interesting - google "weatherbug high data usage" - it's been known to use quite a bit of data. Perhaps try a different weather app if that one is burning too much data.
Teacher
casy25
I have one IMAP email account that's just set to fetch it whenever. Like I said, I rarely get email, so it's not downloading a whole lot stuff each time. I use very little data compared to a normal person. Before these past 3 months I would use about 95 to 100, but since 3 months, I'm going up to and over 200 each month...
Scholar
lylone
[ Edited ]

I am trying to isolate what in the world is using data at 12:24a everynight.  Some days it is 5KB and then the next day it is 35MB.  If I wipe the device and I still see this usage...then it will prove that something other than email and apps are causing the data usage at 12:24a.

All the other times during the day of using data make sense.  Just the 12:24a doesn't.

I had the two email accounts on Push when I had the BB9860 and the Atrix was set to 15 minutes just like the L920. 

And I had weatherbug running on the Atrix also.  It wasn't available on the BB9860, but never showed data usage for wifi when ran on a BB9700. The 9700 and Atrix didn't show the data usage at all when it was on wifi.  I just removed weather bug also.

And yes, I can turn data off at night when it is on wifi, but I shouldn't HAVE TO!  and besides, when you turn it back on it downloads a HUGE amount when you turn it back on....even while still on wifi.

and YES, I have gone through my share of smart phones...

johninsj

casy25 wrote:
I have one IMAP email account that's just set to fetch it whenever. Like I said, I rarely get email, so it's not downloading a whole lot stuff each time. I use very little data compared to a normal person. Before these past 3 months I would use about 95 to 100, but since 3 months, I'm going up to and over 200 each month...

using an additional 100mb isn't very hard at all. Without detailed accounting (which you can't get in Windows Phone) you'll have to experiment with disabling/deleting apps to try and find the ones using a lot of data.

Teacher
casy25
My apps on this phone are no different from the previous 3 phones I have used before this started happening 3 months ago.
Scholar
lylone

and my bill for February just came out...  it keeps on growing....

Flash.jpg

johninsj

casy25 wrote:
My apps on this phone are no different from the previous 3 phones I have used before this started happening 3 months ago.

So it's not apps, it's something else. That would be email, or skydrive sync, or some linked account. Start looking at those.

johninsj

lylone wrote:

and my bill for February just came out...  it keeps on growing....

Flash.jpg

Yep, that's something odd. If the apps don't change the behavior, then I'd look hard at your email accounts, skydrive sync if any, etc.

As you can see from my usage, I'm not seeing runaway usage climbs - it's nothing SPECIFIC to WP8, or windows phone... but something about your set of apps, or email, or... well something. I wish I had more to go on, but short of turning off cellular, putting it on wifi, and attaching a tcp/ip data logger on the router to capture and catergorize the tcp/ip ports / host names where data is going, and how much is going there*, I'm stumped.

* I've done this before, back on the iPhone side when I was seeing a lot of odd data usage. It's the only way to see what's happening.

Scholar
lylone
[ Edited ]

I am only using the same two email accounts I have used in the past and hadn't loaded anymore apps to the L920 then I loaded on the other smartphones.

I have skydrive logged off and only log on if I need the stuff on it.

I don't understand how the data keeps growing.  I am not getting more emails than normal and actually started to cancel some of them I don't need.  I haven't loaded new apps or etc in the last couple of months.  If anything I can understand the first month being larger than normal to get apps and such... but at this rate I will be in trouble and go over my 2GB limit.

And yesterday, I still saw a sizable download at 12:24a

Teacher
casy25
I'm in exactly the same boat as you are. I'm going to think that AT&T is doing something sneaky to try to force people into purchasing bigger plans...
Scholar
lylone

Especially after they pushed us all off the unlimited data plan a few years ago.

johninsj
Yep, I don't know what's causing your data use. At this point a reset/restore might be in order, or delete all email accounts and re-add them.
johninsj

casy25 wrote:
I'm in exactly the same boat as you are. I'm going to think that AT&T is doing something sneaky to try to force people into purchasing bigger plans...

If so, they're not doing it to everyone. My data use has been consistent for years on AT&T. I do feel 2-300mb plans for anything other than a feaure phone is very tight but I use a fair (but well under 2GB) amount of data.

Scholar
lylone

yeah, I am going to do a master reset today and see what happens in the coming days.

johninsj
If you discover anything, let us know.

If I was running the experiment it would be

* reset, run for a day with no apps or email.
* add email accounts, run for a couple days
* add apps

You should be able to see what triggers the insanity.
Tutor
faye100

I'm experiencing the same issue on extreme data usage specific to my Lumia 920 which I purchased on Mar. 7.  My husband is not experiencing it on his iPhone. I discovered the issue yesterday while on WiFi all day, checked my usage and found it was using about 1/2 mb every hour at the same time. I shut off the data connection at 4:35 pm and have no problem so long as it is turned off.  I called AT&T service; best she could do is to say turn off data (although she tried to convince us it was because the WiFi is cutting in and out, despite having no problem while we used our computers).  Clearly the phone is using cellular data rather than WiFi, even when wifi is available.

I have no wireless at work, so had the data on during the day.  Usage spiked again despite not using the phone.  We've now used 100 mb in 4 days, when neither of us has ever gone over 200 mb each in over 6 months of use (iPhone on AT&T and a Win7 Phone on Sprint). 

I'm now deleting programs, shutting apps and updates off, and generally trying to trouble shoot the problem.  Shutting my data on and off all day long is not a reasonable alternative.  I couldn't even text my husband without it once I was outside of town.

I'm very interested in whether lalone discovered anything with her experiment.  This is VERY bizarre!

Scholar
lylone
[ Edited ]

I reset the phone on Sunday and then restored on a back up.  I only have Weather channel running in the background and 2 email apps.  I can see it used data Sunday to restore the back up before it even asked me about connecting to wifi, but that I can understand and saw the usage accordingly on Saturday. 

03/1002:24 PMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent3769 KB
03/1002:17 PMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent39090 KB

Saturday night from 4p to 11a Sunday morning it was on wifi.  We were on data for 2 hours and then back on wifi at about 1pm and didn't leave until Monday morning for work at 7am

Here are the stats from Sunday.  It's still seems to be using data even when I am at home on wifi.  I find it hard to believe I used 27MB during two hours off the wifi.  At this rate I am still on target for 900MB a month

03/1104:59 PMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent130 KB
03/1102:17 PMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent3298 KB
03/1112:17 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent27651 KB
Teacher
casy25

The only thing mine has running is one email program.  I am connected to wifi close to 22 hours a day.  Something is using the cell data even though I'm connected to wifi, too.  This is getting really frustrating...

Scholar
lylone

I have seen where even if you turn off the data when on wifi, it still seems to catch right back up when you go back on data.

There is no ryhme or reason to it at all.

Teacher
casy25
I had emailed AT&T about this issue last week, and no one has even replied to me...
Scholar
lylone
[ Edited ]

I had a chat with them about a while ago and was blown off with the "turn off data" when on wifi deal.  Yeah, that works until you turn it back on and it sucks down whatever data it was using when you were on wifi.

The BB and Atrix never saw data usage when on wifi, I don't know why the L900 and L920 would be different, but I guess they are.

This is what gets me..  all the data used while my cell phone is on the charging plate while wifi is set to stay one when in sleep mode.  Things that make you go hmmmm....

2/3/201312:29AMphoneData Transfer5513
2/4/201312:29AMphoneData Transfer68364
2/5/201312:29AMphoneData Transfer89690
2/6/201312:24AMphoneData Transfer55634
2/7/201312:24AMphoneData Transfer246
2/8/201312:24AMphoneData Transfer1091
2/9/201312:24AMphoneData Transfer3069
2/10/201312:24AMphoneData Transfer344
2/11/201312:24AMphoneData Transfer10798
2/12/201312:24AMphoneData Transfer10435
2/13/201312:24AMphoneData Transfer7866
2/15/201312:50AMphoneData Transfer23602