Tutor
joyb11
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎03-30-2013
Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade
[ Edited ]

Just called ATT and learnt how they double charge customers who go through an upgrade. They double charge for a day of data plan, which for some reason is approximately $5, although my monthly charge is $30. The reason provided for the charge was that they had to do some code change. So, ATT has to do a code change and customers pay $5 more. They don't even talk about this charge upfront. If someone notices this and calls, they remove that charge without any question. This is a hidden fee that is over and beyond the $36 they charge for upgrade. Isn't that $36 supposed to cover all the charges?

 

Now $5 may not be a large number, but when you multiply it by ATT's 75 million customer upgrading their phone every 2 years, it is $375 million every two year. This is totally unaccounted for, since even the customers don't realize that they are paying for it. WOW!! That's a great profit margin. 

 

So, if you have upgraded your phone recently, please do look at your bill carefully. 

 

Thanks ATT and keep up the good job!!

 

wingrider01
Posts: 11,913
Topics: 98
Kudos: 426
Solutions: 212
Registered: ‎05-26-2008
My Device: Iphone 3GS
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

joyb11 wrote:

Just called ATT and learnt how they double charge customers who go through an upgrade. They double charge for a day of data plan, which for some reason is approximately $5, although my monthly charge is $30. The reason provided for the charge was that they had to do some code change. So, ATT has to do a code change and customers pay $5 more. They don't even talk about this charge upfront. If someone notices this and calls, they remove that charge without any question. This is a hidden fee that is over and beyond the $36 they charge for upgrade. Isn't that $36 supposed to cover all the charges?

 

Now $5 may not be a large number, but when you multiply it by ATT's 75 million customer upgrading their phone every 2 years, it is $375 million every two year. This is totally unaccounted for, since even the customers don't realize that they are paying for it. WOW!! That's a great profit margin. 

 

So, if you have upgraded your phone recently, please do look at your bill carefully. 

 

Thanks ATT and keep up the good job!!

 



joyb11 wrote:

Just called ATT and learnt how they double charge customers who go through an upgrade. They double charge for a day of data plan, which for some reason is approximately $5, although my monthly charge is $30. The reason provided for the charge was that they had to do some code change. So, ATT has to do a code change and customers pay $5 more. They don't even talk about this charge upfront. If someone notices this and calls, they remove that charge without any question. This is a hidden fee that is over and beyond the $36 they charge for upgrade. Isn't that $36 supposed to cover all the charges?

 

Now $5 may not be a large number, but when you multiply it by ATT's 75 million customer upgrading their phone every 2 years, it is $375 million every two year. This is totally unaccounted for, since even the customers don't realize that they are paying for it. WOW!! That's a great profit margin. 

 

So, if you have upgraded your phone recently, please do look at your bill carefully. 

 

Thanks ATT and keep up the good job!!

 


the 36.00 activation charge is documented = not fraud

any time you make a new feature change that adds costs = pro-rated bill

 

calling something fraud because you did not read the requirements does not equate out.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Contributor
mach1charger
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-01-2013
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

Wow Wingrider 01 for being a ace you can not read the orig post that was made not about upgrade fee but Data fee $5 charge please read more carefuly before  you reply to a post CP from you (

the 36.00 activation charge is documented = not fraud

any time you make a new feature change that adds costs = pro-rated bill

 

calling something fraud because you did not read the requirements does not equate out.

 

 

anyways I was told by a AT&T rep they would wave my activation chargers .I have been with them over 14 years started with them as AT&T then Cingular and back to AT&T Loyal customer I am So I go upgrade my two phones because REP said they would wave the charges (yes I read the documented papers ) but trusted Rep from AT&T when they say they will do something . Yes I am calling this fraud now since AT&T broke it off inside of me too.

 

So be very cautious when talking to them (AT&T ) because they do lie just to get your business then you are hooked .Good luck people enjoy what you get I am being sarcastic now but be cautious.

 

 

 

wingrider01
Posts: 11,913
Topics: 98
Kudos: 426
Solutions: 212
Registered: ‎05-26-2008
My Device: Iphone 3GS
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

mach1charger wrote:

Wow Wingrider 01 for being a ace you can not read the orig post that was made not about upgrade fee but Data fee $5 charge please read more carefuly before  you reply to a post CP from you (

the 36.00 activation charge is documented = not fraud

any time you make a new feature change that adds costs = pro-rated bill

 

calling something fraud because you did not read the requirements does not equate out.

 

 

anyways I was told by a AT&T rep they would wave my activation chargers .I have been with them over 14 years started with them as AT&T then Cingular and back to AT&T Loyal customer I am So I go upgrade my two phones because REP said they would wave the charges (yes I read the documented papers ) but trusted Rep from AT&T when they say they will do something . Yes I am calling this fraud now since AT&T broke it off inside of me too.

 

So be very cautious when talking to them (AT&T ) because they do lie just to get your business then you are hooked .Good luck people enjoy what you get I am being sarcastic now but be cautious.

 

 

 


been with them in some way shape or form for 4 decades, both with multiple personal family plans, special services for my business, a business account for cell phones for my employees. they stopped waiving fees back in febuary. Have never been lied to or felt they commited "fraud" Have had misunderstandings and things that I disagreed with but never a lie or "fraud"

Sorry but I doubt that they "lie" to get your business, 99 percent of the time it is a misinformed csr, a person that does not ask understand and does not ask the questions. If you believe in what you say, then why stay with them? ETF out and go to another carrier.

 

For all you know the perosn may have been at the end of their billing cycle and the charge was the pro-rate for upgrading or changing the data plan. I read it carefully, I diasagree with the word that is used, it is not fraud, period.

 

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ACE - Professor
21stNow
Posts: 2,386
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
My Device: Moto X, Galaxy S4
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

There is a problem with the pro rata charges of the data plan.  If I have a $50/5GB data plan for an Android phone, then switch to a BlackBerry and keep the $50/5GB data plan, the total charges for that month will exceed $50, simply because of the way that AT&T calculates the pro rata charge for the different data plan types.  That shouldn't happen and customers shouldn't have to call in to get the bill adjusted.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tutor
joyb11
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎03-30-2013
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

21st now..That is exactly my point. If you charge customer without informing them then that is not legit. I don't check my bills often, but since I upgraded and my charges were much higher than regular, I took a look at it. It was ridiculous to find paying for the same data plan twice for a day, which also doesn't add up. I am sure this is being done to all customer and at least 80% of them don't notice it. Where does this undocumented money go? This is not a case of misinforming, but just hiding facts. 

 

wingrider01
Posts: 11,913
Topics: 98
Kudos: 426
Solutions: 212
Registered: ‎05-26-2008
My Device: Iphone 3GS
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

joyb11 wrote:

21st now..That is exactly my point. If you charge customer without informing them then that is not legit. I don't check my bills often, but since I upgraded and my charges were much higher than regular, I took a look at it. It was ridiculous to find paying for the same data plan twice for a day, which also doesn't add up. I am sure this is being done to all customer and at least 80% of them don't notice it. Where does this undocumented money go? This is not a case of misinforming, but just hiding facts. 

 


A little late night reading for you on how things are charged and prorated, might help you understand

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/Reading-Your-Bill-and-Understanding-the-Charges-v...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ACE - Professor
21stNow
Posts: 2,386
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
My Device: Moto X, Galaxy S4
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

The problem is that it's not actually done the way that it is given in those examples.  I'll have a prime example for this billing period, as I went from a $50 data plan for smartphones (3/16-3/28), to a $50 data plan for BlackBerry (3/28-4/2)and back to a $50 data plan for smartphones (4/2-current).  I'm sure that my total data charge for the month will exceed $50.  Why? Because they will count the days as I wrote them instead of saying that one plan ends on one day and the new plan starts on the next day.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
wingrider01
Posts: 11,913
Topics: 98
Kudos: 426
Solutions: 212
Registered: ‎05-26-2008
My Device: Iphone 3GS
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

21stNow wrote:

The problem is that it's not actually done the way that it is given in those examples.  I'll have a prime example for this billing period, as I went from a $50 data plan for smartphones (3/16-3/28), to a $50 data plan for BlackBerry (3/28-4/2)and back to a $50 data plan for smartphones (4/2-current).  I'm sure that my total data charge for the month will exceed $50.  Why? Because they will count the days as I wrote them instead of saying that one plan ends on one day and the new plan starts on the next day.


has to do with the adjustment from the start of your billing cycle for the new plan from the way I uderstand it

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tutor
joyb11
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎03-30-2013
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

Wingrider- have you watched office space? Taking 0.1 pennies out of the bank accounts for all transactions may be characterized as rounding error, but it is still considered a fraud. What AT&T does is not even in pennies, it is in $5 amounts, which just cannot be justified. I have an existing data plan and I pay say $50/month for the plan. I upgrade it to another phone, so they add another plan on top of it for a day and then they cancel it after a day. Why can't they cancel my base plan, since I am on the upgraded plan for a day anyways. Isn't that double charging. Also, if I am paying $50/month, how can my one day charge be close to $5? It is just not logical, but a way to cheat folks who don't pay attention, which is most of us in general. When they are caught they take it out of your bill without any questions asked, which means they are doing it on purpose. They know they can't justify it, but it works out for them. 

I wish someone from ATT has something to say about it. 

wingrider01
Posts: 11,913
Topics: 98
Kudos: 426
Solutions: 212
Registered: ‎05-26-2008
My Device: Iphone 3GS
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade
[ Edited ]

joyb11 wrote:

Wingrider- have you watched office space? Taking 0.1 pennies out of the bank accounts for all transactions may be characterized as rounding error, but it is still considered a fraud. What AT&T does is not even in pennies, it is in $5 amounts, which just cannot be justified. I have an existing data plan and I pay say $50/month for the plan. I upgrade it to another phone, so they add another plan on top of it for a day and then they cancel it after a day. Why can't they cancel my base plan, since I am on the upgraded plan for a day anyways. Isn't that double charging. Also, if I am paying $50/month, how can my one day charge be close to $5? It is just not logical, but a way to cheat folks who don't pay attention, which is most of us in general. When they are caught they take it out of your bill without any questions asked, which means they are doing it on purpose. They know they can't justify it, but it works out for them. 

I wish someone from ATT has something to say about it. 


I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

 

 

 They will answer. Did you by chance look at the link that I posted, there is a specific FAQS on billing and how things are pro-rated. Outside of local, world news technical news and financial news I have little use for TV

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ACE - Master
oufanindallas
Posts: 6,061
Registered: ‎02-08-2010
My Device: VZW Motorola RAZR M
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

Gotta love it when people scream fraud at everything.  Happens on the UV side of things as well.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Employee
sandblaster
Posts: 1,374
Registered: ‎08-15-2006
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

21stNow wrote:

The problem is that it's not actually done the way that it is given in those examples.  I'll have a prime example for this billing period, as I went from a $50 data plan for smartphones (3/16-3/28), to a $50 data plan for BlackBerry (3/28-4/2)and back to a $50 data plan for smartphones (4/2-current).  I'm sure that my total data charge for the month will exceed $50.  Why? Because they will count the days as I wrote them instead of saying that one plan ends on one day and the new plan starts on the next day.


This happened to me when I upgraded to an iPhone 5 because my data plan had to change to the LTE plan. I changed from one $30 plan to another but the credit for the old plan did not match the prorated charge for the new plan since the 2 plans overlapped for 1 day. The net charge for data for that month was $31. I just chalk that up to the way the billing system works, not fraud. A call to CS got it fixed. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Posted from Apple iPad
ACE - Professor
21stNow
Posts: 2,386
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
My Device: Moto X, Galaxy S4
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

This kind of thing drives the accountant in me crazy.  I used to work in residential property management.  The pro rata tables that they gave us rounded to the nearest thousandth.  I always recalculated pro rata rent payments.  The difference was three cents in the residents' favor, but I couldn't let three cents go.  While I didn't have 100 million customers to keep up with, I know that modern computer programs can handle this if it were desired.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tutor
viss2000
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-17-2013
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

Afford That FeeNot Read Through the Whole Thing But i Have Had The Same Experience With Customer Service They Promised Me For An Early Standard Upgrade And Then When i Called For The Same They Said Previous Representative Had No Mention Of It In Her Notes...

 

AND WE CAN'T CHANGE CAUSE WE HAVE TO PAY A FEE FOR HEADING THE CONTRACT... So Stop Adding Ppl To Change The Carrier If  Unhappy with att.... Not Everyone Can Afford That Fee....And y Should Some One Pay When Att Is Not Able To Deliver Their Promises

Community Support
ATTCustomerCare
Posts: 739
Registered: ‎10-21-2004
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

Hi viss2000, we received your private message and replied. We look forward to assisting you.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Guru
harryspar
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎11-06-2011
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade
viss2000, did you get your money back?
Posted from Opera Mini 7
ACE - Professor
21stNow
Posts: 2,386
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
My Device: Moto X, Galaxy S4
Re: Billing Fraud during Phone Upgrade

sandblaster wrote:

21stNow wrote:

The problem is that it's not actually done the way that it is given in those examples.  I'll have a prime example for this billing period, as I went from a $50 data plan for smartphones (3/16-3/28), to a $50 data plan for BlackBerry (3/28-4/2)and back to a $50 data plan for smartphones (4/2-current).  I'm sure that my total data charge for the month will exceed $50.  Why? Because they will count the days as I wrote them instead of saying that one plan ends on one day and the new plan starts on the next day.


This happened to me when I upgraded to an iPhone 5 because my data plan had to change to the LTE plan. I changed from one $30 plan to another but the credit for the old plan did not match the prorated charge for the new plan since the 2 plans overlapped for 1 day. The net charge for data for that month was $31. I just chalk that up to the way the billing system works, not fraud. A call to CS got it fixed. 


Just to follow-up on this:  My data plan charge came out to $53.33 for the month.  It took a call to Customer Service, then an escalation to a supervisor to get the $3.33 credited to my account.  They tried to explain to me how pro rata charges are computed.  I know how they are computed; I also know how people behave who want to get one over one you.  You may not call it fraud, but I sure don't call it honesty if it takes two people to resolve this.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.