Tutor
verdo
Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

I spoke with someone the other day about my issues who was actually really helpful. He wasn't aware of the problem and at first it was the typical must be a problem with the device, I'll transfer you to the warranty department, but I continued to explain the issue and he looked it up and saw that it is a firmware issue and apologized for the inconvenience and said they are working on a fix. Those do usually take a long time, which explains why we have been waiting for months, so who knows when it will come but hopefully soon. He didn't offer a refund but he asked if there was any other way he could help me and I said I would like a refund because I haven't been getting the service I've been paying for and he gave me a $200 credit. So it can be difficult to find someone who will actually understand and look up this problem but persisting until you find the right person to talk to is beneficial, the more people inform them of this issue and request refunds the more pressure they will have to fix it.

Tutor
tzenko

After trying many cures the one that fixed the issue (I hope it  did) was: going to settings->Applications->All. I found 2 clocks and 2 calendars. I disabled the clock and calendar that were showing as 0.0 KB size. Since then (5 days) not a single issue. And the battery seems to me working better. 

Explorer
prisoner6

@tzenko

I don't mean to disappoint you but it will be a short matter of time before you see the SOD again. Those things you have tried have all been tried before. Rooting or getting another phone is the only fix (or software fix but that won't happen anytime soon).

Tutor
gmfirebird

Im about to notify Att because of a serious issue relating to this phone, I now some people have said they rely on their phones for work etc.., but I have a mentally and physically disabled son, yesterday because of an SOD I missed a call from his school. Luckily it wasnt a serious incident, but it could have been much worse, I hate to think what could have happened. I am tired of this mess with these phones and I want it fixed now, this is ridiculous they have known about this issue for months and dont seem to be inclined to do anything about it. I cant afford a new phone and dont want to start another contract. I hope nobody else out there has to worry everyday about missing that phone call because of this problem.

Tutor
gmfirebird

I am seriously thinking about just installing my SIM card in my old Motorola RZR flip phone, at least with that I knew I had a phone that works properly

Mentor
smenard415

Hey look Jelly Bean is available  for the S 2 in Europe.   

Mentor
Maavalous

Jelly Bean on the S2 in Europe?  Sorry to burst your bubble... not big news.

Everywhere but the U.S. has better phones and service... oh, and at a generally lower price.

S2 has had JB in Europe and even Canada (North U.S.) for almost a year.

Outside the U.S. you can buy an S3-Mini.  Yep, probably the perfect phone... an S3 that is the size of the S2.

This is NOT an Android issue.  ATT sold... underline SOLD as in does NOT sell... an S2 that was customized for them.  The SGH-i777.  There in lies the problem.  T-Moblie is selling all the S2 they can get but theirs is the SGH-i900.  Although a few of the early models had this problem, they fixed it and now even sell it in THREE colors.  ATT, they just dropped it... fixing it was too much work.

As I said earlier... we are trapped in a "Pinto Soluton"... Sigh...

Mentor
smenard415

I'm with you.  You just can't see the sarcasm that was dripping from my comment.  Just an editorial comment reference the fact that as you indicated the rest of the world seems to be humming along while the US just stays status quo, even when that is broken!

Explorer
maxud
My Device: Samsung Galaxy SII

>>Upon reading the last post I immediately went into "Software Upgrade" option and did a "Check for Upgrades".

>>Guess what?

>>It said

>>"Your current version sucks. We will upgrade it real soon. Any day now."

Checked for software upgrade today.

Got a message,

"HaHa, no FIX FOR YOU"

4 SODs in last 2 days.

Mentor
smenard415

hey SOD discovered at 0026hrs.  phone was 100% at 1900hrs.  1% right now.  Thanks AT&T.

Tutor
JPWildman
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2

Hey everyone,

I have an update on my situation dealing with this wonderful SOD feature that's EXCLUSIVE to to our Galaxy S2's (aren't we lucky?). OK but seriously, I managed to get my phone to be semi reliable as it now appears to be on a schedule. The reason I say this is because the last 2 SOD's have happened EXACTLY 2 weeks apart on Saturday, the most recent being today. So, every other Saturday it will SOD and then be completely reliable for the next 2 weeks. What I did to get to this point is disable the extra clock and calendar and any apps that I feel like I don't need. Prior to this it would SOD on average a couple of times a week and would NEVER go an entire week without SODing.  It seems like if I can find one more app to disable then MAYBE, just MAYBE it will be completely reliable.

Mentor
smenard415

Two more SOD's yesterday.  Both right after a series of texts.  I have no idea what the relationship is between the two but I thought I'd mention it.  There were pictures involved in both but the SOD's occurred after my response back utilizing only text.  

I only mention for documentation purposes.  I have long since given up any hope what so ever that AT&T cares.

Tutor
mrmeany

And it continues...5 more times in the last 2 and a half days. Once, all the way to 0. Had to pull the battery, leave it out and then charge it for awhile before it would even power up.

Explorer
Varo
Explorer
prisoner6

Rooted my phone and reverted back to 4.03 on March 10, and no SOD's or funkiness whatsoever. Took about an hour and only problem was that Kies did not back up my files prior to rooting. Good thing I did have a successful backup a month earlier so I only lost a few contacts/log entries.

Mentor
ablan59
My Device: Galaxy S2 I777
Interesting they don't even mention the At&t I777 model.
Mentor
ablan59
@prisoner6, since you are rooted make sure you get Titanium Backup. It will pretty much back everything up & your settings so you never lose them. I also make sure my contacts are linked with my gmail so they are always there. I'm loving 4.1.2 with Shostock2.5.9. Yesterday I had over 14 hours of moderate use & still had 35% battery life. Everything runs so much faster too.
Explorer
prisoner6

@ablan59

That was the first thing I installed...Titanium backup and backed up everything. Not in a hurry to move past 4.03... I am going to bask in the fact that I can use my phone without worrying about SODS. No thanks to AT&T.

Mentor
ablan59
I did the same thing. Only issue I had with 4.0.3 was sometimes my text message alert sound would not go off. Other than that everything worked pretty well. Best of all, no SOD's!
Tutor
FlyFamerica
[ Edited ]

I'm new to the forum but not new to the problem of my GSII shutting off several times a day. I spoke to AT and T today and they suggest I back everything up and do a factory reset. I am past warranty but I pay a sizable wireless bill each month. I'm not technically oriented to the extent of some of the readers/ contributors on this forum; I did try what one gentleman suggested of disabling the extra clock and calendar that I found and that seemed to help slightly. I'm kind of fed up with this lack of activity and when I see 15 pages of folks posting with this same problem.The tech. I spoke to at AT and T was trying to be extremely helpful and when I advised him of the seeming magnitude of the problem he was unaware; he did not have access to the forum- Something's not connected here.

I just want my phone to work when I THINK I have it turned on.

Thanks for allowing my rant.

Regards,

Mike

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Scholar
bmgoodman
[ Edited ]

AT&T would have you do factory resets for known problem daily until {word filter evasion} freezes over. And why wouldn't they? A reset will keep you busy for at least a day, setting your phone up all over again. Tomorrow you can do it again. I'd like AT&T to show me ONE person with Android 4.0.4 whose Sleep of Death issue was fixed by a factory reset. Just ONE.

Once you're having SOD problems, your ONLY options are:
1)Find a way to get 4.0.3 put back onto your phone, possibly by someone at an AT&T Device Store.
2)Put a 3rd party ROM onto your phone, once you're aware of and accepting of every feature that will be "broken" due to incomplete documentation about the phone's features. It varies by ROM, but so far as I know, no 3rd party ROM has every feature working.
3)[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]..
4)Sign a new 2 year agreement, if you're eligible, so you can get a new phone.
5)Put your SIM back into your old non-smartphone, cancel your data plan, and wait for your contract to end.
6)Pay the early termination fee to cancel your contract and run to the next tyrant in this oligopoly, sure in the knowledge that THEY will treat you better. :smileywink:

Explorer
Varo

Not only am I having at least once SOD every day, my phone just had a heart attack and my power button doesn't work now...

Screen went black, didn't respond, so I held the power button to restart it. It restarted and the button now doesn't work. Nothing I have done has gotten it fixed. (removing battery/sdcard/simcard/factory reset) and the people at the ATT store are dumb.

So now I have even more problems. I can't wait till my contract is up. 

Teacher
partymonkey

I'm curious, do any of you use Whatsapp and/or Junos Pulse?

As ridiculous as this is, that we have to act like magicians and troubleshooters, wasting precious time on something we shouldn't have to, I did a wipe data from the recovery menu, and then have been pacing myself on what apps I install on top.  I had not gotten SODs for a couple of days, then I went ahead and installed Whatsapp, and I got one overnight.  I have removed it since, and have not gotten more SODs yet.

I have no clue if that was the cause or not, but this is anecdotal information.  So, wondering how many of us with this issue use one of those two apps, in the remote chance that this is the cause.

Teacher
ziadrn

I was getting SODs before I installed WhatsApp, so in my case at least WhatsApp is not relevant.

Ziad

Mentor
ablan59

I think you will find that there are people on this thread that have pretty much had every app removed and they still got SOD's.  Sometimes it would stretch the days out but they always seem to come back with the 4.0.4 software. Probably just chasing your tail trying to eliminate apps because the problem lies in 4.0.4.  

Mentor
NormChar
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2

Never had WhatsApp and was getting SODs.

Explorer
prisoner6

Hi,

To add to this, without a doubt the update to 4.04 caused this problem. I challange anyone to come up with a phone that is doing this (SOD, that is ) on 4.03. Please don't post your experiences adding/removing other apps unless your phone has gone 3-4 weeks without an SOD after doing so.

Tutor
dogtired_01

Mine has been freezing in standby since I upgraded to ICS last year. The 4.03 update made no difference, and the 4.04 update made it worse and also caused the proximity sensor to work intermittently, causing erratic phone behavior during calls.

Mentor
ablan59
@dogtired_01,
If you had it happening with 4.0.3 and the other issues you stated, you may have either a bad phone or an app causing the problem. For those that were able to roll back to 4.0.3, haven't heard of any issues other than I did have an intermittent text message sound that didn't work. 4.0.4 is going to SOD pretty much no matter what. It's just a matter of when. You may want to do a factory reset/data wipe. It might fix everything except the SOD.
Tutor
Oragod

I just talked to AT&T Technical Support.  The rep verified that this was a known issue.  She contacted Samsung Tech Support and that rep said that a fix was on the way but she didn't know when or how the update would be made available.  So we continue to wait.