Scholar
randun
My Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH-I747)
Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

I’m one of the ‘XDA’ers’ commenting in the AT&T forums as well.

Regarding the ongoing discussion of users like us getting factual update information from AT&T CSRs, etc. the same discussion is occurring as well.

The bottom line is that no one at AT&T is allowed, for confidentiality & proprietary reasons, to release any information regarding update release dates. One of my fellow XDA colleagues, who will obviously remain anonymous, shared with me that they test upgrades before they are released, and they’re not even given a release date or even a ballpark estimate!

Therefore, if anyone says they know the exact date then they are simply wrong. Unfortunately some users just don't understand. I actually have an 'inside' contact myself who is in the corporate office (nothing more than that) & even they won't share update information with me. So, if you care to post statements made by AT&T staff, by all means do, but keep the caveat in mind that the information is not factual.

The only factual information regarding the JB update for the GS3 will come when we receive a text from AT&T stating so, nothing before.

Teacher
whitnasty1
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?
I say we keep discussing it on here, it's not like they read these forums anyways. It's the only way for us to get up to date, since they are incompetent in doing so. I'm seriously afraid this , we won't get another update. I have never seen anything like this, seriously what does their Android software people do, I know , hardware engineer though, but I'm pretty sure iI could do this faster than they could. You are pathetic At&t.
Posted from Generic Android
Contributor
wmdaggie

I called at&t Tech support Yesterday and the person I spoke to had never heard of Samsung Kies and also said that rollouts are the reponsibility of Samsung.  I asked her to check on when they were going to roll JB out on S3 and she was reading to herself and I said "Did you just google that?"  Apparently she did.

These people are screwed in the head.

Give us our update or take back this device!

Scholar
randun

[Originally posted on XDA]

I received this interesting email early this morning from Samsung TS after inquiring about Kies not specifying the correct Broadband Version on my GS3, which is I747UCLH9. I have left this unedited except where I bolded information for emphasis.

Dear Randy,

Thank you for your correspondence. We understand that you have attempted to update the Firmware version of your phone via Kies version 2.5.0.12104_1. We also understand that you would like to know why your phone [Not my phone, but what Kies displayed as my phone’s current BV.] is still shows the Baseband Version I747UCLG1 instead of the most updated one. You also would like to inform us that the phone is not rooted. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this issue might have caused you.

Please check the information below this is the content of the broken link that was provided from the previous e-mail that you have received.

OS Version History Currently, this mobile device is operating on Android™ version 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (I747UCLI5 / I747UCLH9).

Version Date Released I747UCALI5 10/11/2012 This update was applied to newly produced devices. Existing customers will receive these updates during the next scheduled OTA from AT&T. [What the heck is this? As you’ll see below, it refers to “Google Android update release 4.0 r5”.]

Browser Improvements

Google Android update realease 4.0 r5:

Maps 6.10.0

Chrome 18.0.1025171

This update includes the latest versions of the Google Play applications, plus stability fixes for Google Talk, Gallery, Play Music and YouTube.

Also included are layout fixes for Google Login and Voice IME.

I747UCALH9 09/18/2012 This update is delivered OTA.

NFC is enabled for ISIS MR

AllShare Cast is implemented

Google+Photos widget is removed

Flipboard APK is updated Maximum size to retrieve email. The "ALL" option has been added.

Various TouchWiz improvements

Enhanced Email APK

Power saving mode improvements

Improved Calender APK

Keyboard enhancements

I747UCALG1 07/10/2012

Quick Search Box APK is updated by Google.

I747UCALEM 06/21/2012 Initial Release

Addendum: After posting this, another XDA’er found the following:

“That version is in this forum. Ripped from someone who had sent it in for repairs. Att has not released it yet.”

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33500511

Mentor
WV-mg11
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-i747
I'm not at all surprised by At&T's incompetence and untimely firmware updates in regards to the SGS3. I upgraded from the Captivate and it had the same long wait for Gingerbread. This just shows that At&t haven't learned from past mistakes and continue to be unreliable with Android updated IMO.
Posted from Samsung GT-I9100
Mentor
mhzx6

This is all more reason to switch to Google when they become a carrier next year. My famiily and I have been with ATT for over 15 years, and we are getting tired of their run arounds. Customer service is terrible, and the amount of money that all of their customers give them is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised that ATT is holding out on releasing this due in part to loving Apple so much. If ATT wants to claim to be the best carrier out there, prove it. Give us the latest updates, let us use Google Wallet, let us use our phones the way we want to use them.

Google as a carrier? I'm liking the sound of that every single day. I'll dip out of my contract in a heart beat as soon as Google is up and running.

Contributor
MCL123

I am a wireless engineering consultant. I have many years working the switch/RF engineering and CTTP.  I had a Galaxy Infuse. It took forever to get Gingerbread. Now I am getting the SGS3.  I all ready know they have the upgrade ready.  They hold back completely because of the high executive marketing, and CIO's, CFO's and CEO's because of the bucks and how it will related to the high selling iPhone and things of that Nature.  That is just the way AT&T operates.  Samsung will deliver the packages that ATT request and then they will field test them, tweek them a bit, and then do a final CTTP and after that, it is pretty much up to the marketing dept to release it.  I read a few posts up, it's all about the money.  I can say that cause I have been working this industry for twenty years.  I am more on the high tech end, like the Lucent, Nortel switches/MTX and stuff, but I have worked right along with the RF Engineers who drive test and optimize it.  Onething I will say, the software that the cell sites have use, has to be majorly adjusted to accomodate the model of handsets.... Good luck getting a date of release.  They will just one day release it.   Thanks...

Scholar
randun

Thanks for the background. While my professional niche is on the management side in an unrelated field, I will agree with your point regarding Marketing, regardless of the industry. They do drive a large piece of product release but there are so many factors involved in launching a new product (or parts, updates, etc.), it is by no means a CEO (or equivalent) pushing the 'Go' button per se.

I invite you & others here to a lengthy discussion on this update at XDA, which has now morphed into a wide-ranging discussion encompassing all angles surrounding it, e.g.., technology, business, economics, etc. with a bit of fun mixed in to make it even more interesting.

This link takes you the latest update as I write this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1984126&page=37.

Guru
kgbkny
My Device: Nexus 5

whitnasty1 wrote:
I say we keep discussing it on here, it's not like they read these forums anyways. It's the only way for us to get up to date, since they are incompetent in doing so. I'm seriously afraid this , we won't get another update. I have never seen anything like this, seriously what does their Android software people do, I know , hardware engineer though, but I'm pretty sure iI could do this faster than they could. You are pathetic At&t.

You have a point there. Remember the original Galaxy S update debacle? The only reason why the carriers were finally pushed to release the update was because of the extremely vocal #NeverAgain internet campaign, where a lot of people got extremely upset with Samsung.

Mentor
WV-mg11
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-i747
In my curiosity to see if At&t is even reading this thread, I created a new screen name. It was originally "Up_Yours_Atandt." Well they changed it. Not sure if that is automatically done or not though.

P.S. Here is another thread on XDA with an At&t employee claiming inside info on the next update for the SGS3.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2009934
Posted from Samsung GT-I9100
Tutor
Jnorton2724
My Device: HTC One

LTE isn't a big deal.  Like I said I went from GS3 and with day to day use I don't really see the big deal of 4G LTE.  I get good speeds with 4G and, for me, it still feels plenty fast while using data.  The Nexus also is a lot higher quality then my plastic, cheap feeling GS3.  

Teacher
Buckyball

That was the last phone I got from this crappy company called AT&T. Bloody stupid freaks :catmad:

Tutor
flashvenom
Re: So where the heck is Jellybean??

So, let's get back on subject here... WHERE THE HECK IS JELLY BEAN AT&T

Teacher
LIQUIDLEVEL
Where is Jelly Bean?

I am getting really fed up with the fact that AT&T hasn't released jelly bean for the galaxy s3

one of the AT&T reps stated on the phone two weeks ago to me that AT&T was to release the update the next day. 

:robotfrustrated::smileyfrustrated:

What happened? There is obviously a major issue that both AT&T and Verizon refuses to admit publicly. Could it involve the lawsuit apple is throwing out that now may include jelly bean? Enough is enough. We all pay way too much money for cell service and we deserve timely updates at the very least. Apple figured out how to efficiently provide updates in a one shot method to all their iOS devices. Google and Samsung released jelly bean months ago to each carrier for testing. Sprint and T mobile pushed the update already. AT&T and Verizon both have tremendously larger resources that could've executed a jelly bean update months ago , but that of course didn't happen. what is going on here AT&T ?

Posted from Apple iPad
Contributor
sterkey25
Re: Where is Jelly Bean?

i always just wanted to start a petition and see how many people would sign it and maybe if they saw how many people were annoyed it would actually do something. Probably not though. Im still equally mad that there is no easy fix for the copy paste problem.

-Sign

Contributor
FalkenZ08
My Device: Samsung Galaxy 3

okay guys lets be real.. When they announced the ICS update for the S2 Skyrocket last November 2011 it did not came out till July. and AT&T known for delaying updates. The fact that they probably want more sales in there new phone such as the HTC one X plus, Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Espress, Xperia TL, Lumia 920 and the iPhone 5. Ive came in to this conclusion because if you go to shop phones you will find the S3 in the bottom of the list. 

Teacher
LIQUIDLEVEL
Re: Where is Jelly Bean?

Oh, the copy and paste problem. Don't even get me started with that. Although, that is more on Samsung than AT&T. It is a joke though how thousands have complained about the copy and paste malfunctioning and yet the only answer is to perform a factory reset.

I have to hand it to Apple for laying out a fairly stable OS.

Anyway, getting back to my original point: AT&T WHAT IS THE DEAL? HELLOOOOOO???????????????

Former Community Manager
jamileh
My Device: iPhone 5 & Samsung Focus
[ Edited ]

Hey all...

We are aware that a Jellybean update for Samsung Galaxy III is available from Android and AT&T will have the update available for our customers in the very near future.

I can't speculate on dates but as soon as I have more info to share, I will update this thread. Thanks for your patience. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Teacher
Buckyball

In the very near future you can travel to the moon for your vacation. Sorry but an announcement with "in the very near future" basically means "we are incompetent to manage anything in time and have no idea when we get the job done".

As I said, last phone that I got from AT&T and I'm out of contract soon.

Voyager
jrdavis1965

Interesting.... On Samsung's page for the ATT Galaxy SIII it shows that it ships with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean).   ATT site still shows ICS.    Which is right?  And if new SIII are shipping with 4.1..... where is the OTA update for current phones?

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-I747MBBATT

Voyager
regnator
My Device: Galaxy S3
[ Edited ]

Thank you Jamileh for the feedback, we are excited to get this update. Many of us understand that with a large network and such a large user base there is a great deal of work that needs be done to make sure the update is stable and will not cause additional problems for the users. In that spirit is it possible to volunteer to be one of the beta testers?

Scholar
hydrogen3
My Device: iPhone 5s

I'd like to volunteer as a beta tester!!

More bars in more places.

Scholar
randun

jrdavis1965 wrote:

Interesting.... On Samsung's page for the ATT Galaxy SIII it shows that it ships with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean).   ATT site still shows ICS.    Which is right?  And if new SIII are shipping with 4.1..... where is the OTA update for current phones?

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-I747MBBATT

To clarify per Samsung correspondence to me, please see the following:

"Currently, this mobile device is operating on Android™ version 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (I747UCLI5 / I747UCLH9). This update (I747UCALI5 10/11/2012) was applied to newly produced devices. Existing customers will receive these updates during the next scheduled OTA from AT&T."

This particular update was confirmed on XDA to be a leaked version of a non-JB update. As for what Samsung is advertising, I'm pretty confident that if you visited your local AT&T store & purchased a new GS3, it wouldn't have 4.1 instaled on it.

Teacher
Buckyball
[ Edited ]

It doesn't matter if one customer or a million are using the phone, the only issue is their freak'in bloodware that the put on every phone and that they care about you once you are under contract.

[word filter avoidance]

Scholar
hydrogen3

Good lord I guess I don't have enough post to quote one... good grief...

why would they only care about their bloatware? that's popiecock!

More bars in more places!

Teacher
Buckyball
Very simple to answer because they make money if that applications.
Guru
kgbkny
My Device: Nexus 5
[ Edited ]

regnator wrote:

Many of us understand that with a large network and such a large user base there is a great deal of work that needs be done to make sure the update is stable and will not cause additional problems for the users.

With all due respect, if this is how AT&T feels, it's a cop-out. Google has no problems pushing out Android updates to their Nexus phones. I've run one on both AT&T and T-Mobile and haven't had any stability issues or encountered any problems. Samsung has already pushed out Jellybean to the unlocked GS3 phones (not to mention scores of carrier versions all over the world), which operated just fine.

It has nothing to do with stability or perceived problems. AT&T doesn't care about issuing timely updates, and that's all there is to it. Also, if "very near future" is anything like "update coming soon" in the original Galaxy S days, it could be anything from several weeks to several months.

Scholar
hydrogen3

They make mony by installing them on the phone?

Scholar
ikjadoon
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S III | 4.0.4

Thanks, jamileh, for replying! :smileyvery-happy:

Can you peek inside your source if they can let us know if they've been working on Android Jelly Bean 4.2 or Android Jelly Bean 4.1? The @ATTCustomerCares Twitter handle said 4.2 and I want to make sure that was not a typo. :smileyhappy:

Thanks, :smileyhappy:

~Ibrahim~

Scholar
randun

ikjadoon wrote:

Thanks, jamileh, for replying! :smileyvery-happy:

Can you peek inside your source if they can let us know if they've been working on Android Jelly Bean 4.2 or Android Jelly Bean 4.1? The @ATTCustomerCares Twitter handle said 4.2 and I want to make sure that was not a typo. :smileyhappy:

Thanks, :smileyhappy:

~Ibrahim~

The update will be 4.2 per AT&T.