Otto Pylot
Kudos: 146
Solutions: 26
My Device: iPhone 5
MicroCell Issues in Conneticut, Massachusettes, and Maine

There are reports coming in from at least those three states mentioning that the 3G light is blinking green. Phone service seems to be still working for about 1/2 of the reports. If your phone still works, I would suggest not doing anything until AT&T resolves the issue. If you deactivate/reactivate you may lose your connection and get stuck in the registration verification phase. The same is true for a hard reset (holding in the reset button on the back for about 30 seconds). I'm not sure what happened. It could either be an update that got pushed in the NorthEast or a switch failure by an upstream provider to AT&T. Doesn't really matter at this point in time it just needs to be fixed. I've written to support about this but if any other states/areas start seeing this, report here and I'll pass the info along.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Voyager
richiesemo
Re: MicroCell Issues in Conneticut, Massachusettes, and Maine

I'm in New York experiencing this same issue.

Otto Pylot

richiesemo wrote:

I'm in New York experiencing this same issue.

Use the link in my sig and send a PM to ATTCustomerCare, detailing your issue, where you are located, what you've done, and your account information. The more complaints support gets the quicker they can get a handle on what's going on.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Teacher
Jneilsen

Still getting the same error 

S100: We're sorry, but we are experiencing a temporary system error that prevents us from retrieving your account information. <br>(S100) [RFS|RegisterFemtocellService|50000000286]

This is a bunch of crap they really need to fix this. I dread something going wrong and for the people that depend on the extra signal strength to get ahold of emergency personnel and can't because of this issue. 

Posted from Apple iPad
Tutor
rwy36

Talked to Tech Support last night who suggested the hung mCell activation was an issue with my home equipment or configuration, but reset the activation process which allowed me to restart from scratch. 

The mCell powered up, did the software updates and was in the 'verify location services' phase when I gave up and went to bed about midnight.  This morning, I found an error which said the activation process didn't complete, and instructed me to disconnect and start the activation process over.

I did so, and now receive this error when attempting to restart the activation process:

FTC191: Operation is not allowed at this time. Please try again later.

Hopefully this suggests they are working on (what they now realize is) the backend problem now!

Good luck everyone!
Mentor
bob550

I'm in upstate New York near Albany, and had this problem beginning on Sunday. As with others, I continued to have service, so I opted to leave everything alone. (Resist the temptation to "do something") The problem appears to have been resolved as of yesterday for me. 

Tutor
jmsmith1218

My Microcell 3G light is blinking as of last night.  I rebooted MC, cable modem (Comcast, Motorolo surfboard) and Apple Timecapsule and still no luck.  I have been trying to setup a second MC that got through on-line registration but says activation pending and also flashes 3G green light.  As I was trying to get that resolved again last night my origanal MC went of-line and statred blinking and now I am stuck with just ATT coverage, which is nearly impossible to keep a connection.  Any help would be greatly appricated! We have just ditched our LAN lines and would like NOT to go back, but we need phones to be reliable.

Thanks much!  

Tutor
rwy36

My problems persist after the failed activation last night.  I restarted the process but AT&T's back end doesn't even see the mCell as "powered up".

A further investigation reveals routing failures within AT&T's core network for destination addresses that the mCell is attempting to communicate with.  The two 'hard fail' examples in my case are:

dest host 12.230.208.48  <- destination net unreachable reported by 12.118.120.34

dest host 12.230.208.135 <- destination net unreachable reported by 12.91.158.14

In both cases, the entry point to AT&T's network was via host cr2.n54ny.ip.att.net (12.122.130.110).  My ISP is Comcast and I'm located in Connecticut.

Hopefully this detailed information can provide some additional meaningful data and insight for the AT&T network analysts to get to the bottom of their core network routing problem.

Tutor
rwy36

I'm happy to report that AT&T is making progress!  I just got a 'successful activation' message and service is restored!

Tutor
n172sj
They need to stop suggesting that it's something on the customer's end as that's clearly not the case. It's seems pretty obvious that if it started happening all of a sudden to multiple people that the issue is on their end.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Otto Pylot

n172sj wrote:
They need to stop suggesting that it's something on the customer's end as that's clearly not the case. It's seems pretty obvious that if it started happening all of a sudden to multiple people that the issue is on their end.

Agreed. And I've reported this to AT&T Support.

Tutor
n172sj
Yeah appreciate it Otto. For the record...I'm solid again.
Otto Pylot
Tutor
aopisa

3G light is solid green.

Otto Pylot

Good. Sounds like AT&T is fixing it.

Tutor
GoHogsAR

I'm still out in White Plains, NY.  Customer service said there are still "known issues in the Northeast" and to call back tomorrow if it's not fixed.

Otto Pylot

GoHogsAR wrote:

I'm still out in White Plains, NY.  Customer service said there are still "known issues in the Northeast" and to call back tomorrow if it's not fixed.

PM ATTCustomerCare (see my sig for the link) if you're not up tomorrow. The more support hears about it, and can document it, the faster AT&T will respond.

Voyager
aishae24
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2

Ive been out here in Western MA since Mon morning , worked with 3 different techs which did disconnect and reconnect my MC and activation is Still pending and I was told someone would call me back between 10 am & 12 pm that day here it is Wed am,  and I still havent heard back,  which is the worst part besides having to wait this long and Not having any service for the 4 phones I pay for ON TIME EVERY Month!!!

Tutor
GoHogsAR

Otto Pylot wrote:
PM ATTCustomerCare (see my sig for the link) if you're not up tomorrow. The more support hears about it, and can document it, the faster AT&T will respond.

Thanks.  I'm still down this morning so I just sent the PM.

Voyager
aishae24
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2
I just got my MC Back! So it is being fixed, just to give an update!!! A Frustrating 3 days, but glad to be connected again!
Otto Pylot

aishae24 wrote:
I just got my MC Back! So it is being fixed, just to give an update!!! A Frustrating 3 days, but glad to be connected again!

Thanks for update.

Contributor
droopus

Another Microcell issue here in Weston, CT. I've had mine since summer 2010, and have rarely had issues with it, and none that weren't resolved with a restart. Glad to hear it's not just me.I guess.

Funny, I called ATT customer service and got a bottom level tech support agent. After describing the issue she said I would have to "power down everything for fifteen minutes."

What do you mean "everything?"

Cable modem, anything else connected to your computer.

For fifteen minutes.
Yes.
Um, what possible good would it be to power down my cable modem, much less for 15 minutes? Do you think that a new dynamic IP assigned by Cablevision will magically fix a femtocell?
Yes, uh, sir, I'm going to transfer you to a higher level technician..

I hope they fix this fast. No cell at home sucks...:manfrustrated:

Otto Pylot
Unfortunately all Level 1 can do is follow a script and surprisingly a re- boot can, at times, fix simple issues. However, most of the issues we see here are not simple and support has no way of seeing what the engineers can, so they in turn have to answer the engineers questions.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Tutor
wysoft

Nearly two weeks later, and this problem still appears to be going on. I just got a 3G Microcell and can't activate it because all routes to the AT&T network fail. Initial NTP time sync and connections to dpewe.wireless.att.com fail due to destination net unreachable errors.

Tracing route to 12.230.208.48 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    20 ms    19 ms    36 ms  98.125.230.1
  3    20 ms    39 ms    20 ms  173.248.67.153
  4    21 ms    19 ms    20 ms  206.51.69.142
  5    20 ms    20 ms    19 ms  67.132.130.213
  6    78 ms    24 ms    21 ms  67.14.41.14
  7    20 ms    21 ms    20 ms  63.146.27.78
  8    92 ms    91 ms    90 ms  12.122.82.254
  9    98 ms    99 ms   103 ms  12.122.5.198
 10    92 ms    91 ms    91 ms  12.122.31.129
 11    90 ms    90 ms    91 ms  12.122.2.53
 12   106 ms   103 ms   105 ms  12.122.2.206
 13    92 ms    91 ms    91 ms  12.122.28.73
 14    88 ms    90 ms    88 ms  12.123.129.77
 15  12.89.7.246  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

dpewe.wireless.att.com (12.230.208.48) is also unreachable:

Tracing route to 12.230.209.195 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  2    21 ms    20 ms    19 ms  98.125.230.1
  3    20 ms    20 ms    20 ms  173.248.67.153
  4    20 ms    20 ms    20 ms  206.51.69.142
  5    20 ms    20 ms    44 ms  67.132.130.213
  6    22 ms    20 ms    20 ms  67.14.41.18
  7    20 ms    20 ms    20 ms  63.146.27.78
  8    47 ms    47 ms    47 ms  12.122.84.18
  9    55 ms    47 ms    55 ms  12.122.5.230
 10    47 ms    47 ms    45 ms  12.122.30.141
 11    45 ms    47 ms    47 ms  12.122.30.146
 12    45 ms    47 ms    46 ms  12.123.15.110
 13    42 ms    42 ms    42 ms  12.122.137.33
 14  12.90.154.118  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

Otto Pylot

That looks like some sort of routing issue with your ISP. It could be a failed switch somewhere and it's just taking too long and too many hops to get to the servers. A lot happens between the ISP and AT&Ts servers which can be hard to trace, especially if the switches are maintained by upstream providers other than your IPS and AT&T. I'd send that information to CustomerCare (see the link in my sig) along with anything else you have done and your account information. They should be able to move a little quicker than phone support. CustomerCare is there from 8-5, CST, M-F.

Tutor
wysoft

The entire 12.x block belongs to AT&T.

I have the same routing problem from another host running on Comcast cable - this is not at my residence, but exhibits the same behavior.

I'll forward the traces to customer care, but it does not appear to be an issue with my ISP.

Otto Pylot

wysoft wrote:

The entire 12.x block belongs to AT&T.

I have the same routing problem from another host running on Comcast cable - this is not at my residence, but exhibits the same behavior.

I'll forward the traces to customer care, but it does not appear to be an issue with my ISP.

I take it that the host on Comcast is attempting to contact AT&T as well? It's quite possible that a switch or a port is having issues and that AT&T isn't aware of it yet so forwarding your traceroute to CustomerCare is the quickest way to help them narrow down the problem(s).

Voyager
gpreilly
Re: MicroCell Issues in Conneticut, Massachusettes, and Maine AND now Minnesota

I'm in Minnesota, had a microcell for 1 1/2 years and about 36 hours ago the 3g light started blinking green.  Unplugged it, no effect, hit the reset button, no effect, left it unplugged all last night and the light is still blinking after plugging it in this morning.  I see this problem started in the northeast - has it now spread?  Any indication of what the problem is or when it will be fixed?

Tutor
ajblair1222
Re: MicroCell Issues in Conneticut, Massachusettes, and Maine AND now Minnesota

Also, in Minnesota with the same problem.  Cycled power on the microcell, router, and modem but still have the blinking 3G light.

Voyager
gpreilly

Timing is everything - I guess they fixed the problem whatever it was because it's back up and working.  Glad that it wasn't down for weeks.....