For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
davidemartin's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Thursday, August 21st, 2008 9:02 PM

Closed

3125 Data Plan

I have a Cingular 3125.  When I purchased the phone in September of 2006, I was told that since the phone does not have a keyboard or touch screen, it was classified as a Smartphone, not a PDA.  The only data plan I was offered was " SmartPhone Connection Unlimited" for $19.95/month.  I have used this plan for almost two years without problem.

Recently, I've been having problems connecting.  I often get the message "The remote party has terminated this connection."  I called AT&T to complain and was told by three different representatives that my phone should have been classified as a PDA, the 3125 is incompatible with my current smartphone plan and that the AT&T network will disable my internet access when it figures out that I'm on the wrong plan.  No one was able to describe why my phone is suddenly incompatible.  I was told that I need to switch to a PDA Personal plan for $30.00/month.

I didn't make changes to my plan.  One of the customer services representatives did a "reset in their system" and my internet access is working again for now, but she said that it probably would stop working.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

1.7K Messages

16 years ago

Correct, the 3125 when it was still being sold, would use Smartphone Connect as the proper data plan.  Since the 2125, 3125 and other non-keyboard Smartphones are not being sold anymore and Smartphone Connect is no longer availalable, you can use a MediaNet data plan.  (Confirmed by AT&T on a previous thread.)  AT&T's definition is phones with a full keyboard need the PDA data plan.  So your 3125 is definitely does not need a PDA data plan.  (Only if you plan to tether the phone to your PC, then you'd need a plan that allows tethering, such as PDA Personal w/Tethering.)  Otherwise, you were on the correct data plan with Smartphone Connect.  Or you can change to a MediaNet plan, although the monthly cost would be the same.

If you're still having problems, I'd call again, hopefully you get a different rep.

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

16 years ago

Your plan is fine. It's exactly the plan your phone is supposed to be on ... don't let anyone tell you differently. Your phone is NOT a PDA by any definition. Smiley Happy
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.