Need help understanding your bill?
alexcoupet's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 3:13 AM

New customer but I'm not new to ATT&T -

I had joined Cingular back in 2004 before the Cingular-Att merger.  I joined them but was only able to join them if my mother was

the primary account  holder since I had little to no credit back in those days.  However, everything from my address to my checking account has been on file since day one.  However, whenever I wanted to make a change to my account, (which was only once), I had to use my mother's SSC.  Just last month I decided, after all these years, that I wanted to take her name off my account completel, to allow me to have full responsibility of that account.  After all, every single payment has come directly from me, right?  Well, I went online last month to have a transfer of responsibility.  Somehow within that mix, everything was fine but I wasn't able to complete their request online for whatever reason beknownst to me.  So I went ahead and called the Att to see exactly what was going on.  I was told that I could keep the same plan.  So  anyways, a payment still went through from my account that was addressed to my mom.  I called Att and they rectified the issue and issued me a check for the payment.  So now Att's transfer didn't go as well as planned and in result left me with a new plan that does not let me keep my unlimited data.  I'm frustrated because now I'm being treated like a new customer when I've been with the company for almost a decade.  How can I go about fixing that issue? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@alexcoupet wrote:

I had joined Cingular back in 2004 before the Cingular-Att merger.  I joined them but was only able to join them if my mother was

the primary account  holder since I had little to no credit back in those days.  However, everything from my address to my checking account has been on file since day one.  However, whenever I wanted to make a change to my account, (which was only once), I had to use my mother's SSC.  Just last month I decided, after all these years, that I wanted to take her name off my account completel, to allow me to have full responsibility of that account.  After all, every single payment has come directly from me, right?  Well, I went online last month to have a transfer of responsibility.  Somehow within that mix, everything was fine but I wasn't able to complete their request online for whatever reason beknownst to me.  So I went ahead and called the Att to see exactly what was going on.  I was told that I could keep the same plan.  So  anyways, a payment still went through from my account that was addressed to my mom.  I called Att and they rectified the issue and issued me a check for the payment.  So now Att's transfer didn't go as well as planned and in result left me with a new plan that does not let me keep my unlimited data.  I'm frustrated because now I'm being treated like a new customer when I've been with the company for almost a decade.  How can I go about fixing that issue? 

you are a new customer, the previous account was not in your name, you had no responsibility for the prompt payment of hte bill, you name does not appear in any att database that is tied to a contract for a device, your ssn / tid isn ot on file with a credit history. A tobr will drop all legacy discontinued features from the original billing account

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

True, technically I wasn't responsible for it although I made every payment to it.  I was hoping that I'd get some kind of generosity out of this ordeal.  I probably should have just left things the way they were but I got annoyed about being asked for my mom's ss#.  Well, anyways, I'll be making the switch at the end of the year. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

@alexcoupet wrote:

True, technically I wasn't responsible for it although I made every payment to it.  I was hoping that I'd get some kind of generosity out of this ordeal.  I probably should have just left things the way they were but I got annoyed about being asked for my mom's ss#.  Well, anyways, I'll be making the switch at the end of the year. 

There's no way to determine who makes the payments on the account. Whomever's name is on the account gets credit for the payments.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I'm pretty sure ATT has record of every payment made and from what account it's coming from.  And yes, whoever is on the account gets the credit.  Technically, I don't exist in your database.  My first real issue with ATT is with the dataplan.  Somehow I've been draining data

from this phone and I can't figure out why.  So, 2weeks ago, I downloaded an app from Apple's site that tracks the amount of data I'm using.  So far, since I've downloaded the app, I've used a lil' over 237MB.  But I've also had my cellular turned off throughout most of the day.  I've turned off all push notifications etc.  My new billing cycle starts this Friday so I'll be able to better determine what is causing the drain.  The app also tells me how much data I'm using with my WiFI.  I've been surfing, youtubing and so on to see if I'll use a lot of data.  So far, I haven't even gone over 500MB.  I'm at 487MB.  So how was I able to use up so much data in 7 days is beyond me. 

For me, a simple solution is to sell this phone, pay the ETF and still have enough money to start anew with some other carrier.  I rather have unlimited date (throttled) then have to deal with having to shut off my cellular data to be in the safe zone all the time.  My fiance has the 4S and she's abuses that phone and still hasn't gone over 3GB.  And if the rumor is true about T-Mobile carrying the iphone early next year and releasing their LTE network, that route seems even more enticing.  Just saying.

But before I do all of that, I want to test out the kinks and go to the apple store to see if 3GB will be sufficient enough with this phone. 

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

but what if she had automatic bill paying with her own credit/debit card stored on the account?  the card would have been in her name, and the records would show that all those years she paid for the account.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, I had automatic bill pay and every single payment on that account came from Alexandre Coupet's checking account from the very first day until now.  Since October 2004.  My mother was just the person that I needed in order for me to get a line because I had little to no credit and that's what Cingular recommended.  I've had the very 1st iphone and just now decided to upgrade.  All of that should be on record but that's ok.  I'm not trying to twist arms. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@alexcoupet wrote:

Yes, I had automatic bill pay and every single payment on that account came from Alexandre Coupet's checking account from the very first day until now.  Since October 2004.  My mother was just the person that I needed in order for me to get a line because I had little to no credit and that's what Cingular recommended.  I've had the very 1st iphone and just now decided to upgrade.  All of that should be on record but that's ok.  I'm not trying to twist arms. 

It DOES NOT matter that you paid the bill, the bill was NOT in your name, my eldest daughters car is in my name for the loan, she works and pays the monthly payments and insurance, she writes checks to the finance company and the insuranc company out of her account - she has no credit report on that loan becasue she is not the primary account holder.

The only thing that is on record is the account was paid for in a timely manner that is it, not who paid it, the account holder is the one responsible period. Your name and SSN / TID is not on the account as the account holder of record

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I know and have already accepted that.  Hopefully I can figure out the cause of pain with my data plan as my billing cycle resets tomorrow.  If it requires that I need the unlimited data feature, then I will do so with another carrier.  I'm not getting my feelings hurt over this. haha  Hence the reason why I said that this solution is solved already.  But, thanks for the response.

Hope y'all enjoy your day!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@alexcoupet wrote:

I know and have already accepted that.  Hopefully I can figure out the cause of pain with my data plan as my billing cycle resets tomorrow.  If it requires that I need the unlimited data feature, then I will do so with another carrier.  I'm not getting my feelings hurt over this. haha  Hence the reason why I said that this solution is solved already.  But, thanks for the response.

Hope y'all enjoy your day!

sometimes that is all you can do, good luck at Sprint or T-Mobile

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.