Need help understanding your bill?
pronet1's profile

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2014 7:21 PM

wireless billinh

I received my second billing due in May. I expected it to be $60.00 or 65.00 as was in the hard copy announced. But I see that it is $73.93? Quite a difference and  way too much?

I am very disappointed.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

If the expected service charge is $65, then $9 in taxes and other regulatory fees is not surprising. So why is it some customers now seemed surprised? Certainly these same charges were on whatever plan they had before and if the new plan is cheaper than the old plan, the taxes and fees should be slightly less too. 

What I think is a better questions is if there are taxes and regulatory fees that AT&T collects on behalf of other agencies (local, state and federal government, etc.), what are customers upset at AT&T for not quoting those fees when AT&T quotes what they charge for service?  Really, these are fees charged by other parties, but collected by AT&T, like sales tax they pay at Wal-Mart, etc.  People know and expect that they have to pay these extra fees and taxes when they buy from Wal-Mart, so why should it be any different from AT&T?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@pronet1 wrote:

I received my second billing due in May. I expected it to be $60.00 or 65.00 as was in the hard copy announced. But I see that it is $73.93? Quite a difference and  way too much?

I am very disappointed.

What "hard copy" are you referring to?  Did you get a price quote or something from a store rep?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you most likely signed up for new service putting you on a Mobile Share plan.  If you signed up with a new contract subsidized phone, that would cost you $40/month for the unlimited voice & text feature on your phone, plus you have data ontop of that.  Depending upon if you selected 300MB data for $20/month or 1GB data for $25/month, that would account for your "expected $60.00 or $65.00".  Of course, as will all phone bills, there are so many local, state and federal fees and taxes that also add onto your phone bill.  Where I live that comes to around $4.60 per phone each month, your area may be higher.

Another possibility is that instead of signing up for a contract subsidized phone, you purchased an off-contract phone using the NEXT program.  That would reduce your vioce & text service fee from $40 to $25 per month, so now you would be paying $45-$50/month for voice, text & data service, but then you add on those taxes and fees, and also your NEXT program installment payment for your phone.  That cost would depend upon which phone you purchased and which program you chose (18 month or 26 month).  That could change your bill by anywhere from $25-$50/month which if you selected the 300MB data plan at $20/month,  and a 16GB iPhone 5s, your monthly bill would come to $70/month plus taxes and fees.  This sounds like it's the closest fit to your $73.93 bill.  Does your bill have a line item on it for "equipment"?  If it does, then you have a NEXT program and that line item will go away once you pay off the phone you are purchasing over time.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@pronet1 wrote:

I am very disappointed.

Another possiblity is that the difference is all the additional regulatory fees from the federal, local, state, then taxes for federal local and state, e911 costs are not quoted to you when they tell you the cost since all of them are vary depending on where you live

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

10 years ago

I agree with the 2 above posters taxes getcha every time, they are really high in california mine are about 12$ per phone

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

If the expected service charge is $65, then $9 in taxes and other regulatory fees is not surprising. So why is it some customers now seemed surprised? Certainly these same charges were on whatever plan they had before and if the new plan is cheaper than the old plan, the taxes and fees should be slightly less too. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Get this. Broke two phones in a short period of time. Have insurance and it still cost me 200$ deductible for each time. They said since I had insurance I wouldn't have to pay it all on one bill. Got the bill and bam....588$. Called them and what a rude woman. Can't split it up now. Definitely gonna switch to sprint asap

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@perk39 wrote:
Get this. Broke two phones in a short period of time. Have insurance and it still cost me 200$ deductible for each time. They said since I had insurance I wouldn't have to pay it all on one bill. Got the bill and bam....588$. Called them and what a rude woman. Can't split it up now. Definitely gonna switch to sprint asap

Before you switch to sprint or any other provider, consider this. AT&T does not provide the insurance, they simply re-sell it. If you switch to sprint and get phone insurance from them, I'm pretty sure it is from the same provider with the same deductible. Personally, I don't think phone insurance is a good value but if you really feel you need it, I suggest you verify whether sprint's insurance is any different before you switch because I suspect it is not.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.