Posted Dec 16, 2012
9:41:12 AM
Windows Phone 7.8 Update

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-starts-rolling-out-windows-phone-78-update

Seems to have started rolling out slowly,Anyone heard anything from ATT's end?

111 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(111)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2013 2:52:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

Re: Windows Phone 7.8 Update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2013 9:14:44 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by avesdude on Jan 31, 2013 at 9:15:45 PM

Anybody get the update trick to work on the Quantum? Do we know if it is coming to the Quantum?

I'm due for an upgrade, but sort of as a matter of principle I will drop WP and LG readily if they do not update the Quantum. And I'll be pretty unhappy with ATT, which is convenient since I'm month to month at the moment.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 1, 2013 1:03:59 PM
(0)
Scholar
avesdude,
The Quantum is getting the update, just on other carriers in other countries or so I've heard over in wpcentral forums. Right now it's a matter of if ATT will give it to us or if we're going to have to force it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 1, 2013 4:06:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

Okay HTC told me via email that HTC Titan wont be getting the update,They say it could change but we all know that wont happen.There are also reports from Twitter that TItan 2 and HD7S wont be getting it either.This is via official means.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 1, 2013 5:26:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

There is a manual cab download & send option (same as with mango) which will most likely work but would require more care and has potential to end badly (as all such things do.)

But if you are interested, that is a path for non-updated devices - info is out on the internet at the usual sites for windows phone modding.

I don't reccomend you do it, I'm sure AT&T doesn't either. I may go ahead and update my old Titan... give me an excuse to power the poor thing up since it's been in cold storage since the 920 arrived.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2013 7:40:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

For HTC devices, there will be no 7.8 update.  This is from HTC Tech support from today when I inquired about an update:

"Currently HTC is not planning to update windows phone devices to 7.8; we sincerely hope that this does not affect your HTC experience.

I like to thank you for your continuous support of our products and services."

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2013 7:47:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Feb 2, 2013 at 7:48:34 AM

"we sincerely hope that this does not affect your HTC experience"

Nope - matches my expectations of my HTC experience 100% :smileysad:

Looks like the do it yourself path is the only option, then.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2013 7:58:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

I replied back to them that it did affect my HTC experience and as a result, I'll be switching to Nokia when it is time to renew.  At least they support their phones with updates.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 9:55:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

Same here.

I'm planning to replace my Titan this month on the 2 for 1 special (my wife is replacing her Focus).  And Nokia is going to win out and get my business precisely because they have been very good about supporting their phones during their lifespans (and the awesome build quality doesn't hurt either). 

On the other hand, I still suffer from the vanishing keyboard on the Titan because HTC/AT&T hasn't seen fit to update it even once!  Not to mention that  I am on my 2nd warranty replacment Titan (i.e., the original and 2 replacements), and the one I am using now has a broken camera button.  I would have put in to replace that one too, but I figured it would be far easier to just live with it for the time left until I can replace it.

So there is about as much chance of me buying an HTC 8X as there is of a blizzard in Phoenix in July.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 2:35:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

mvierling wrote:

For HTC devices, there will be no 7.8 update.  This is from HTC Tech support from today when I inquired about an update:

"Currently HTC is not planning to update windows phone devices to 7.8; we sincerely hope that this does not affect your HTC experience.

I like to thank you for your continuous support of our products and services."

I'm not sure if that's an accurate statement. I read comments on numerous sites when this update was released of people with the HTC Titan getting the official update through Zune in European markets. Now, whether AT&T releases the update could be an entirely different story.

I've used the cab sender method on my Titan for every update since the vanishing keyboard issue was patched (that was too annoying to deal with any longer). I've been running the 7.8 update for almost a week with no issues, but I'm still hoping that AT&T officially releases the update so I don't have to force the unofficial method on the rest of my family.

(0)
  • Rate this reply

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2013 8:11:17 AM
(0)
Scholar

I stated after getting abandoned on my HTC Jetstream that I will never EVER buy or allow anyone to buy an HTC product again.  THIS JUST SEALED THE DEAL.  I give equal blame to AT&T on this as well.  

HTC, you are dead to me. Your demise can't come soon enough.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 1:07:47 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:51:42 AM

I just talked to AT&T TS, they informed me that "AT&T does show an update to the HTC Titan (gen 1), but since it was replaced within 6 months by the Titan II, AT&T does not have any way of sending the update out to the Gen 1." To which I noted that the Titan Gen 1 was the hottest thing since sliced bread in Dec. 2011, and then replaced by the Titan II in Feb. 2012 (2 ***' months later), so now they have totally abandoned the Titan Gen 1.

I will NEVER by another HTC device as long as I live!!!!!

{word filter evasion}

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2013 12:57:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have been keeping my HTC Titan up to date since the vanishing keyboard issue was patched last summer. I updated through the cab sender method published at the XDA developers site and have been checking each time a new update was announced.

Last night, I visited my dad who got his Titan the same time as me in December 2011. I checked through Zune to see if any updates were ever made available and still received a message that his phone was up to date. I then ran every update to get it up to 7.8. It took 7 updates to get his phone  current. Granted, some of those were minor updates released in conjuction with a major update, but that is still 7 updates that AT&T blocked from being available to consumers to update by the official method.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 4:46:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Como atualizo meu SAMSUNG i917 no Brasil? Essa notificação chega até mim também?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 4:51:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Este é um fórum AT & T - a sua atualização pode vir de sua operadora local.

(via google translate.)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 12:38:35 PM
(0)
Voyager

Directly from AT&T: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB117823&cv=820#fbid=DUvgy6K7J1V

If link is no good, go to AT&T's site, Wireless Support > Ask a Question > Update the Firmware for a Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 device

It would appear that many Windows Phone 7.5 phone models will get their upgrades in due time.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 16, 2013 8:33:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

How are the Titans not on that list

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 17, 2013 5:12:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Has anyone actually received the Lumia 900 update to 7.8?

In this article AT&T states the following:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB117823&cv=820#fbid=LoA6jRg9aZq

"Please note that update availability will be staggered at the beginning. If you have not received the update notification, please check again at a later date."

In my opinion this is marketing jargon for "we are not ready and need some more time".

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2013 3:23:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Nop, no official update yet!! 

Had called customer service, they were not sure about the exact status of deployment. Was told to update Zune and then check for updates, incase none, then just wait. No luck as yet!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2013 6:36:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm wondering if it might be awhile now.  7.8 is reputed to have serious issues regarding live tile updates:

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-live-tiles-more-problematic-than-first-assumed

AT&T might be waiting to make sure that the network won't get pounded as a result.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 20, 2013 6:04:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Unlikely that has anything to do with it. Or that that post is even accurate.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2013 4:48:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by dontlikeit on Feb 24, 2013 at 4:48:44 PM

Never ever call customer care .... they have zzero knowledge about technology. They probably dont even know how windows phone looks like. 

They always give some unwanted stupid suggestions like in ur case ... what the helll has zune update has to do with 7.8 update ... I had experienced similar thing 2 yrs back and stopped calling them again.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2013 4:43:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

It's been almost a month and yet I bet nobody has received the "Staggered Update". 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2013 5:29:30 PM
(0)
Voyager

I have a Nokia Lumia 900 and I STILL haven't gotten the update. AT&T customer service says it isn't even available.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2013 4:28:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by cfourkays on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:29:47 PM

Well, 2-26 still nothing.

Checked my Zune for updates and it's OK.

BTW, ATT with Nokia Lumia 900.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2013 12:49:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

February 28th 2013----- Still no update to Windows 7.8 on my Lumioa 900. Has anyone got it yet?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2013 10:32:18 PM
(0)
Mentor
Yes, there is indeed a serious live tile issue in WP 7.8. Johninsj, is a senior escalation engineer on a MSDN board OK as a source, or should Steve Ballmer himself comment?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpdevelop/thread/7b54b400-3aaf-47a8-ba48-a15447406f73

And if the bug is causing users to have data overages, I could see AT&T halting the rollout entirely. I know that AT&T is pretty pathetic generally with updates, but the AT&T Nokias have generally been receiving them pretty quickly (couple weeks tops) after Nokia publishes them on its servers (e.g., Tango). Strange that that isn't the case this time.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 1, 2013 3:46:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:48:14 PM

In reading that thread there are a couple of failure modes that are not uniform for all users or apps, so this may not be a "live tiles are broken in 7.8" issue.

I'm sorry but I am hesitant to leap to such a general statement based on the statements made in that thread.

Edit: and of course there is nothing in that thread that implies 7.8 is being held up based on this issue. It's not. It's not even clear if the issue would be addressed in an update (as the MS poster clearly stated.)

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 1, 2013 7:46:19 PM
(0)
Mentor
I agree that the thread didn't explicitly say that, but I've seen elsewhere on the web that 7.8 deployment has slowed down to a crawl. I still think that anything that will have the potential of angry customers calling to complain (worse, go to the media) that an update caused them to go beyond their data allowance and run their bills up will cause case conservative (not political, rather upgrade mindset) AT&T to take pause. And I'm sure that AT&T us getting its info directly from MS and Nokia, and as such they would be getting more complete info than we are getting.