Posted Jul 29, 2013
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)
Okay...

Re: Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)
And those are 3043, 3045, 3046, 3047 and 3049, all latest on different carriers all different strings specific. I am aware of this, I'm stating att string at 12xx versus others that have other strings even 10xx. Point is there are different firmware variants per carrier and att was pulled. There are similar carriers that may work like tmo or Rogers. This doesn't mean the firmware is the same or identical since it has a different string number. Someone was stating it was the same thing. If that were true everyone could update if it passed qaqc on any carrier as everything would be the same... This is not the case.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)

Here is a screenshot of my AT&T Lumia 920 running the AT&T Amber/GDR2 Developer's ROM.

I've been running it since early Septemeber with no issues whatsoever. There is absolutely no firmware issues and I have encountered no problems whatsoever.

Anything about AT&T/Nokia ironing out the kinks or firmware issues is a load of bull...it's pretty clear that AT&T is just sitting on the update

You can see for yourself that it is indeed running the GDR2 update as evidenced by the OS Versions: 8.0.10328.728

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/windows-phone-8-update-history?signin=true

wp_ss_20131008_0001.png

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)
Wow!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)
Maybe tomorrow...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)

audidiablo wrote:

Nokia recalled the update with recommendation by AT&T. If you release firmware which could permanently destroy hardware under warranty the cost comes out of AT&T and Nokia. So imagine they are releasing an updated ecu tuning for a car for free as a courtesy and they realized the update causes erratic behavior, rough idle, poor mileage and up to even the engine seizing... They pulled the ecu update and are hurrying to rewrite the ecu software to resolve the issues. Just as there are different fuel types and octanes, different emissions standards by country and state and slightly different internals it is still specific to region. Just as Verizon has 3G and 4G LTE AT&T has 4G and 4G LTE. One runs CDMA and the other runs HSPA+ and other variants. Same nickname different networks. This is why Verizon doesn't play nice with AT&T and vice versa. The update isn't universal, like a spark plug, one size doesn't fit all.

hope that helps!

As was pointed out, blatently before, the build numbers of AT&T do not agree because they are from the old versionunlike everyone else who is on the new one. 

again, you state that nokia pulled the update at ATT's request?  how do you know this?  it certainly is not logic since you have indicated already that numbers AND logic are beyond your ability.  even your lame attempt at understanding a simple analogy failed apparently based upon a faulty assumption (which it is until you back up your statements with something more than foaming at the mouth). 

yes, verizon runs cdma, do you know what is different there?  what about rogers?  t-mobile?  are they significantly different from att? 

and finally, the please sit down was a polite way of saying if you don't have something to back up your statements, then don't act like you do.

if you do have info, then let us all know what and where it came from, and everyone will appreciate your input.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)

Guys, please remember to Keep it Courteous and respect each other's opinions.

Thank You,

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)

Time to raise the heat level some more. C/S stated that yes, I'm supposed to get an Nokia update and that it is queued up to come ota. Yesterday they even made like they called Nokia while I was on the phone. Today I filed complaint with GA PSC for Amber & GDR2 that ATT is refusing to release. Also tried FCC but they're on hiatus due to Fed budget issues. Tick toc.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Guys, please remember to Keep it Courteous and respect each other's opinions.

Ya know, we wouldn't have to argue about it, if AT&T would just release some information. Or even better yet, just release the update, which has been out for almost 2 months.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)
HERE ARE THE FACTS:

-the overwhelming majority of the world have the update for Lumia 920 handset.

-firmware is "seeded" by their respective carriers.

-seems hardware is as well, given the fact my battery has less capacity than the European counterpart.

-there was a fiasco with updates on WP7 platform. Late in its service life, I know. It still had customers bent outa shape.

-the timetable and progress of gdr2/Amber release is need to know information, and we don't need to know...apparently.

-I love this one...AT&T is a "dumb pipe".

HERE'S MY OPINION:

-AT&T offers excellent cellular coverage in my area where other providers don't.

-technical support and retail store associates are excellent in addressing my needs as well.

-don't ask either about gdr2/Amber as they will play stupid.

-what did AT&T do to my Lumia 920 anyway? Having trouble with the firmware??? This is a Nokia phone running a Microsoft operating system. They both seem to think gdr2/Amber works on Lumia 920 devices! Is this even a Nokia phone anymore?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013
(0)
...as our good friend ATTDmitriyCM pointed out, this board has become hostile. I suggest we stick to the topic at hand. Remember, the whole world can see this.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

ravikath24 wrote:

I've been running it since early Septemeber with no issues whatsoever. There is absolutely no firmware issues and I have encountered no problems whatsoever.

And you installed that OTA? No, no you didn't. You have no way of knowing for a fact that doing an OTA update on AT&T with the AT&T build of the Amber/GDR2 rom and migrating all your user data on the device has no issues whatsoever, becuase you didn't do that - you could not have.

So again, no one knows, and AT&T isn't saying anything. All we can do is wait and vent. And speculate.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

. . . and make apologies for them.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)
Never...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)
It was a leaked rom from the Nokia servers... Is that rom still available through the Nokia care suite?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)
Sorry I don't mean to upset you. I'll sit down as you say.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

Well, The way to go is force update... really I been running amber for 2 weeks now and have not encounter any problem with it... 

voids waranty but they were not going to cover anything anyway so... whats the matter? 

Luis 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

As I said, I have been running this ROM for a month and there are no problems after FLASHING. This is the AT&T Developer's ROM as avaiable via Nokia Care Suite...yes it specifically says AT&T Develpoer ROM as in specific to AT&T.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Also of note, over on WPCentral, they are already deatiling the GDR3 update as an MS epmployee has leaked screenshots as well as a partial feature set of the GDR3 update...

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)
But to clarify, different networks run different frequency bands and chipsets requiring proprietary firmware. Just as Intel firmware won't run AMD chipsets Verizon chipsets are different from at&t chipsets. Sort of like cable internet versus DSL versus fiber optic. They all run networks but work differently. Or even cable modem like surfboard, the firmware for a 525 and 526 are different models nearly identical and perform the same but you run incorrect firmware you may have issues.

Nothing in this world is perfect, I'm not but I try to keep optimistic and hope for the better. I'm not here to make people upset or make enemies. I want the update very much and am trying to be patient but I am also trying to help others as well. I'm sorry for any irritation.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)
So many tomorrow or a month from tomorrow...ughh.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

AT&T has completed testing the Nokia Lumia 820/920 Windows Phone software update on our network. We expect Microsoft to make the update available beginning 10/10. When the software update is available for you to download, Windows Phone will notify you so you can download it directly over a Wi-Fi connection. We appreciate your patience.

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

Hmmmm...

Facts include things that stand the test of time...and perhaps emotions.

-the overwhelming majority of the world have the update for Lumia 920 handset.  TRUE, but only true if you consider like hardware.  Can the 92x series devices interchange hardware?  I don't know.  Saying the Verizon version of the 92x is the same as the ATT version may be difficult without the words, theoretically, or But....things like that. 

-firmware is "seeded" by their respective carriers.  Define seeded.  Microsoft provides the Windows Phone update.  Carriers add the carrier specific updates in their own separate package.  In this case, Nokia added Amber.  'Theoretically thats 3 packages.  If AT&T chose to not install any updates of their own, then that would be 2 updates in this package.  There are several kinds of updates involved with each GDR.  those updates that do NOT impact any ATT function.  Those updates that do.  Nokia and Microsoft can deliver any update with no carrier interaction, as long as the update does NOT impact any carrier function.  If the update does impact a carrier function, then carrier testing and approval is required.

-seems hardware is as well, given the fact my battery has less capacity than the European counterpart.  This is not a fact.  This is an emotional response.

-there was a fiasco with updates on WP7 platform. Late in its service life, I know. It still had customers bent outa shape.  This is not a fact.  This is an emotional response

-the timetable and progress of gdr2/Amber release is need to know information, and we don't need to know...apparently.  Hard to not agree with this one, except that AT&T has historically done it this way.  If they keep doing it this way, and we keep expecting something different, isn't there a term for this??

-I love this one...AT&T is a "dumb pipe".  Whats that quote about Being thought  wise and opening one's mouth to remove all doubt?

People....We are very close to, if not already past the GDR3 RTM date.  I believe we are so close to the cut off date I would expect GDR2 to be by passed.  Remember, all Windows Phone updates supposedly are sequential.  So, getting GDR3, gives up GDR2.  The release date for GDR3 is only a short time away.  I am tailoring my expectation to see GDR3 and not GDR2.

Remember also.  As long as AT&T can point to bugs, or other irregularities in the GDR2 release, that can impact their business, the FCC and the BBB cannot provide resolution.  What AT&T does with its updates in comparison to what other carriers do, can only be acted upon when the hardware can be shown to be the same, not similar.  As long as AT&T acted in good faith to review and test an update, there can be no action.  You may be able to bog down the system with paperwork, but action won't come.  Some may get an early update to some other phone.  the majority of people will get nothing. 

There are lots of experts here, tons of us.  We are all an expert on our own experience.  We have justified all of this in our minds.  We all want GDR2 because of a battery fix or Glance, or <insert your own thing here>.  These things are not facts, They are our reality.  If you could prove that AT&T is intenionally delaying testing and acceptance, then that would be something.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

Thanks Dimitri.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)
ravikath24,<br><br>just curious...does data sense work on the dev rom??<br><br>if so, then the whole "network infrastructure" excuse for at&amp;t stripping it is a crock of shiite.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

Great, now I'll anxiously start trying at 9:00 (PDT) tonight, hoping they're releasing it at midnight EDT! Just kidding.  I'm glad we finally have some concrete communication about this.  Congrats to AT&T on getting it out before the 2 month milestone!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

According to a post from Paul Thurrott, the update will start rolling out on 10 October..... http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/att-will-deliver-gdr2-and-amber-lumia-820-and-920-starting-oct...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)

Except that he credited WP Central who said they got it here in this forum.  So all fingers are pointing at the same source.  I do have my fingers crossed though.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013
(0)
Trick or treat? I think it's a trick...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 10, 2013
(0)

I can only hope you are right Dmitriy and not pulling our legs!

I have grown increasingly impatient, (as have MANY AT&T customers), with what appears to be stonewalling by AT&T to all things Windows Phone related if not at least this round of updates.  I went so far in my own heart and mind as to say I would cease to be an AT&T customer if they refused to release GDR2/Amber.  If indeed there was some glitch that was caught during testing that has since been resolved and we see this update today (10/10/13), then I will say that AT&T have been redeemed in my eyes and Dmitriy will have earned the well deserved status of a credible resource.

I want to be hopeful, but AT&T has too many times let us Windows Phone users, and the product itself, down.  Please Dmitriy... if you would be so kind, and for the benefit of all other visitors to this forum, reconfirm your statement above that GDR2/Amber will FINALLY be released today, 10/10/13!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 10, 2013
(0)
Its a trick so far, 10/10/13 3:30am (Las Vegas, NV), no amber/gdr2 update...