Posted Jul 29, 2013
4:11:07 PM
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 2:39:58 AM
(0)
Teacher
It seems many don't understand the update. GDR2 is the OS update from Microsoft. Amber is the firmware update from Nokia. GDR2 is out and has been out without issues. Amber on the other hand as far as I know is having issues specific to this firmware version string. If you check Nokia Lumia amber release availability notice the version numbers. The string with AT&T firmware is not released anywhere worldwide for the 920 which coincides with other reports of issues with the firmware from inside sources. People flashing their Nokia Lumia phones pre mature are doing so with incorrect firmware from another carrier. Albeit functional it is not optimal. I am one to tinker and update my own as I get highly annoyed with the update games many carriers tend to play, but I have a funny feeling it is best to wait. If rumors are true the update should be out and ready between the 7th and 21st of this month. Yes a big window but I'm certain the update is really in the works. I don't buy others F.U.D. and rather stick to simple logic.

Re: Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 5:52:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Tex413 wrote:

To johninsj

Noticed that you have posted over 2200 posts over the last 3 years.  You also had spent most of your time posting stuff in the iphone forums but recently started posting stuff in the windows phone forums.  Whats with your sudden interest in the windows phone?  Also, why would you post 2200 posts for a company you dont work for.... or do you work for ATT?  I cannot imagine posting 2200 postings for any company, even the one I work for,,,, unless that was my job,,,,,,

Listen, I get it, you are an iPhone fan, working for ATT, trying to change the momentum of this forum.  OK, fine, but at least tell the people in the castle that the natives are getting restless.

I had an iPhone 4. I switched to Windows Phone (HTC Titan running WP7.x, then Lumia 920 running WP 8) in 2011, so I started answering questions in this forum. I don't work for AT&T nor do I speak for them or get paid by them to post here. I am simply a user of and supporter of the platform.

I have 10,074 posts at dslreports.com - mostly in the comcast forum (I have comcast HSI) but also in the linux, mac, windows, and photography forums. I don't work for them or get paid for that, either.

Some people like to tweet and blog (I do too, but not that much) while others like helping people in forums.

I like helping people in forums.

This GDR2/Amber delay thing is the major topic for the past month - the only help I can give is tracking down any public statements, and posting them. Which I have done.

Believe me I am just as ready as everyone else to get this update so we can start talking about it, rather than talking about why it's late.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 6:02:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Oct 6, 2013 at 6:03:06 AM

Tex413 wrote:

Obviously you are crazy.  This has nothing to do with the OS.  If it was the OS, why would all the other major carriers have been able to deploy it weeks ago?  I have friends that daily taunt me with their updated lumia's.  Saying it is the OS means that you are either a plant or just uneducated. 

If ATT cant get it to update then is is a sign of a lack of technical knowledge.  If they can but choose not to, that is a sign of bad customer service and support.  Either way Sprint is starting to look really good.

It's the distribution model for the OS - does that make you feel better about my sanity?

This release is a combo release from Nokia (not Microsoft) of GDR2 and Amber.
Microsoft released GDR2 to the OEMs in July. Nokia decided to bundle their next wave of updates on top of features in GDR2, so they did not release firmware for their existing phones with it until Amber was done.

That was in the beginning of September. They they turned that combo release over to their carriers, who decided when to accept it, or rejected it asking Nokia to fix issues.

RUMOR has it that the 920 failed on AT&T's tests, and they asked Nokia to address the issue. That's the rumored reason for the delay. Their lack of communication is frustrating but nothing new - they never communicated update schedules. This thread could have ended after the first post - the answer to the post topic is "No, there is no schedule, there will be no schedule, it will show up when it shows up" - but on the internet that's not very satisfying so we have instead 13 pages of posts rehashing that.

I'm not a plant, I'm just an owner - I have no special knowledge, I read the same blogs and tweets and rumor sites as everyone else. I've been an AT&T customer for 5+ years. I was with sprint for 10 before that (mostly dealing with Windows CE phones - with no carrier support for updates either... when I used to spend all my time on ppcgeeks.com cooking roms.)

At any rate, I am just as ready as everyone else for this stupid update to release, so we can get back to talking about using these things. Which I enjoy doing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 6:42:12 AM
(0)
Contributor
I would like to express my discontent with the roll-out of the update. This appears unnecessarily drawn-out, and there are no good reasons given for the delay on any WP8 newsfeeds. What's the problem ATT?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 10:47:12 AM
(0)
Teacher
As stated before, Nokia is to fix issues and release the new revised firmware. Once at&t has it they can test and release. Furthermore with that firmware string, no other carrier worldwide has released it, not just at&t. I'm just as annoyed and wanted this update but I'm almost over it now. I just hope they make an extra effort to get GDR3 and bittersweet shimmer out first as a sign of good faith. Either way it isn't at&t writing the firmware so no need to harp only on them.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 11:02:05 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by razzellu on Oct 6, 2013 at 11:03:12 AM

Premier partner???

Definition of premier(adj)

Bing Dictionary

pre·mier   
  1. best or most important: first in importance, size, or quality.

First:  AT&T (and Aio, which is still AT&T) is the last carrier on the continent to publish the GDR2/Amber update.

Size:  They're reducing the size of the update if/when Data Sense is removed.

Quality: Part of quality is how information is communicated.  There has been no Quality communication, and even the uofficial communication is as vague as not saying anything.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 12:55:25 PM
(0)
Mentor
Maybe tomorrow...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 1:26:01 PM
(0)
Mentor
Not expecting tomorrow. That would be too good to ask. Maybe the 21st. Remember, they once said 31st of September....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 2:30:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
Still maybe tomorrow...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 3:49:17 PM
(0)
Teacher
I'd split the difference and meet in the middle. I'd hope for the 14th or sooner. I'm sure they are going to work hard to get this out as I'm certain there is visibility over the unhappy customers. It is still a negotiation between Nokia and AT&T. AT&T can't release a revised update they may not have. We need to take all things into consideration.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 6:08:59 PM
(0)
Explorer

Hey John, like your new handle. 

I have to disagree with you.  The amber update (I understand the difference between GDR2 and Amber update thank you) is out and I have both seen it and read about it.  A simple web search should confirm this for anyone who doubts.  Revisionistic to say that it is Noka's fault.  Maybe it is AT&T taking out Datasense and needing to be certifed by Nokia that is taking the time!?  Also, I do understand that any update will have bugs.  iPhones also have bugs when they are updated...so what.  I would rather have a couple of bugs and the update. Go to your favorite search engine and type in "iPhone update problems" and "Android Update Problems" and your will see that this is not isolated to the WP ecosystem.  Problems occur.

As someone else already put it very well, a good solid date with good communications from AT&T would really make us all feel better. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 6:22:26 PM
(0)
Explorer

Also, I could really care less if you are a plant.  If you are, then great, please express our concerns.  If you are not, then my apologies.  I can understand if you like to type in forums, just saying that it is a bit suspicious.  You certainly have a lot of iPhone posts for a Lumia 920 owner which is what led to my comment.  Regardless, I have a lot better things to do than belabor this.  Peace out!  FINAL POST FROM ME. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013 10:31:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
An iPhone isn't a windows phone and a windows phone isn't an iPhone, so stop comparing the two phones...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 5:11:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:11:45 AM

Tex413 wrote:

Hey John, like your new handle. 

I have to disagree with you.  The amber update (I understand the difference between GDR2 and Amber update thank you) is out and I have both seen it and read about it.  A simple web search should confirm this for anyone who doubts.  Revisionistic to say that it is Noka's fault.  Maybe it is AT&T taking out Datasense and needing to be certifed by Nokia that is taking the time!?  Also, I do understand that any update will have bugs.  iPhones also have bugs when they are updated...so what.  I would rather have a couple of bugs and the update. Go to your favorite search engine and type in "iPhone update problems" and "Android Update Problems" and your will see that this is not isolated to the WP ecosystem.  Problems occur.

As someone else already put it very well, a good solid date with good communications from AT&T would really make us all feel better. 

You're disagreeing with the RUMOR posted on WP Central that someone else on this forum posted to this thread.

So, um. Ok.

As I have REPEATEDLY stated, you won't get a solid date with good communications from AT&T concerning the release of a firmware update. Not for WP8, or any other OS. Not for the Lumia 920, or any other hardware. They just don't do it. Believe me, I wish they did.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 6:21:42 AM
(0)
Teacher
@razzellu
Premier partner???

Bing Dictionary

pre·mier

1.best or most important: first in importance, size, or quality.

First: AT&T (and Aio, which is still AT&T) is the last carrier on the continent to publish the GDR2/Amber update.

Size: They're reducing the size of the update if/when Data Sense is removed.

Quality: Part of quality is how information is communicated. There has been no Quality communication, and even the uofficial communication is as vague as not saying anything.
You left out partner. AT&T sells the service and hardware but does not make the phones or OS. They may be the last on this continent which is a convenient way of wording it. Why narrow it down to just this continent as if the rest of the world doesn't exist? A quick look on Nokia site for Amber firmware release shows many world wide have yet to release this firmware string. Secondly AT&T has released GDR2 for their other head sets as GDR2 isn't the problem, the Amber firmware from Nokia is. Keep on mind, Nokia makes the firmware and releases the firmware, not AT&T. Just as Microsoft makes GDR2 and releases GDR2 you wouldn't ask AT&T to fix the update for Microsoft or Amber for Nokia. It would be as illogical as you being responsible for fixing any network issues they may be having at AT&T if you lose your signal.

Who is to say they are reducing its size? Do you have any proof of this? If this were the case you would also have a pretty good idea on how the update is coming along and when it will be released. Only the privileged have that sort of information. Also be aware Data Sense is part of the OS and would better refer to GDR2 which is Microsoft as Data Sense is part of Windows Phone 8 and not Nokia or the Nokia firmware update named Amber. As mentioned before GDR2 is out and also has been released by AT&T.

AT&T would have a better idea on when it would be released if they had it to release. I think they're taking a lot of the heat for this issue as people only focus on what is in front of them. Sort of like being mad at the dealership for a faulty part in a car... If your Honda has a faulty fuel system and it is a known issue why be mad at the dealer when they had no part of the manufacturing or assembly? I can agree some clarity would be nice from AT&T it isn't entirely their responsibility to do so as it isn't their update. Like getting mad that Dell isn't letting me know when my Windows 8.1 is going to be released. Just plain foolish.

If you want a more concrete answer ask Nokia when they plan on getting their Amber update to AT&T. If they say AT&T has the new Amber update then ask AT&T how far along they are with the new Amber firmware. In any event in sure its just around the corner coming in days or at most couple weeks. I say sit tight and be happy the firmware issue was caught before being released which could have proven detrimental to the flagship Lumia line.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 8:17:40 AM
(0)
Mentor
What firmware issue?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 11:24:33 AM
(0)
Teacher
Neither are willing to disclose. To my understanding it was something detrimental and caused for a rewrite of the firmware. Just as people have mentioned how flashing to the at&t developer rom was causing frequent lock ups and terrible battery life was only the small issues. I believe there was worse in their testing which they halted its release.

Think about how many people griped about how they wanted the next iteration of Windows OS back when people were waiting for Vista. It had some major issues and they released it pre maturely. Had they waited and fixed the major issues Vista would have been more like Windows 7 and better adoption... Instead most people stuck with XP and Microsoft took the heat. It is easier to hold a release until it meets QA QC standards and have a couple unhappy customers then release some botched hooptie release and anger the whole user base. I'd rather it done right the first time.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 12:00:50 PM
(0)
Mentor
So maybe tomorrow..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 12:02:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
I thought my phone was broken! So, I guess knowing this is better, but I still would be much happier if I already had the update.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 1:17:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

There's no firmware issue going on here, it's AT&T sitting on this update. Plain and simple.

I flashed the AT&T Developer's Edition of the GDR2/Amber update and there are absolutely no issues whatsoever. I've been running the firmware for nearly a month now

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 2:23:25 PM
(0)
Teacher
Not all phones have the same hardware revisions. Just because user "A" with a phone from factory "A" doesn't mean user "B" with a phone from factory "C" won't have issues. You may be lucky. I'm sure if AT&T were to aggravate a majority of WP users by doing this Microsoft and Nokia would do something about it. Remember the launch of the Nokia Lumia 900 and the big they had then and how they handed out $100 discounts pretty much making the phones free? Do you honestly think they would do stuff like that and then just sit on this? If you like believe what you will if that helps you sleep at night. I've read though wpcentral and wmpoweruser and people have been having issues specific to the att dev rom that was pulled. The Rogers rom people have been having better success but after hours of configuring and needle and threading they get a half baked build with either reception issues or tethering issues or many other issues. The OTA updates I've received never had these issues, nor did they wipe my phone or require very specific steps otherwise having to reflash the phone all over again... Too much hassle, easier to wait a bit and have a painless update then go through all the headaches. If you could wait this long as I have it would make sense to wait a few more days otherwise update and have them release the official non pain in the rump version and feel like a tool. :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 2:34:07 PM
(0)
Mentor
How much longer will you wait for the OTA update?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 5:35:57 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:02:33 PM

I am curious if people spam at&t to get them to release or do they just *** about it and hate on others.
why not start taking action instead of hiding in this corner? I try forums hoping there are answers, but its mostly *** and repetitive questions.
contact at&t and send them comments/feedback. Over and over. :smileyhappy: Viva la revolucion!

[word filter avoidance]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 5:58:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

Not sure what you are referring to saying the dev rom was pulled, seeing as the thread is still live in XDA forums where it was originally posted.

As far as I have seen, anyone who followed the original poster's instructions had no issues with the ROM post-flashing

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 6:51:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

audidiablo wrote:
@razzellu
Premier partner???

Bing Dictionary

pre·mier

1.best or most important: first in importance, size, or quality.

First: AT&T (and Aio, which is still AT&T) is the last carrier on the continent to publish the GDR2/Amber update.

Size: They're reducing the size of the update if/when Data Sense is removed.

Quality: Part of quality is how information is communicated. There has been no Quality communication, and even the uofficial communication is as vague as not saying anything.
You left out partner. AT&T sells the service and hardware but does not make the phones or OS. They may be the last on this continent which is a convenient way of wording it. Why narrow it down to just this continent as if the rest of the world doesn't exist? A quick look on Nokia site for Amber firmware release shows many world wide have yet to release this firmware string. Secondly AT&T has released GDR2 for their other head sets as GDR2 isn't the problem, the Amber firmware from Nokia is. Keep on mind, Nokia makes the firmware and releases the firmware, not AT&T. Just as Microsoft makes GDR2 and releases GDR2 you wouldn't ask AT&T to fix the update for Microsoft or Amber for Nokia. It would be as illogical as you being responsible for fixing any network issues they may be having at AT&T if you lose your signal.

Who is to say they are reducing its size? Do you have any proof of this? If this were the case you would also have a pretty good idea on how the update is coming along and when it will be released. Only the privileged have that sort of information. Also be aware Data Sense is part of the OS and would better refer to GDR2 which is Microsoft as Data Sense is part of Windows Phone 8 and not Nokia or the Nokia firmware update named Amber. As mentioned before GDR2 is out and also has been released by AT&T.

AT&T would have a better idea on when it would be released if they had it to release. I think they're taking a lot of the heat for this issue as people only focus on what is in front of them. Sort of like being mad at the dealership for a faulty part in a car... If your Honda has a faulty fuel system and it is a known issue why be mad at the dealer when they had no part of the manufacturing or assembly? I can agree some clarity would be nice from AT&T it isn't entirely their responsibility to do so as it isn't their update. Like getting mad that Dell isn't letting me know when my Windows 8.1 is going to be released. Just plain foolish.

If you want a more concrete answer ask Nokia when they plan on getting their Amber update to AT&T. If they say AT&T has the new Amber update then ask AT&T how far along they are with the new Amber firmware. In any event in sure its just around the corner coming in days or at most couple weeks. I say sit tight and be happy the firmware issue was caught before being released which could have proven detrimental to the flagship Lumia line.

and why are you in the know?  you read a rumor on one of the other sites did you?  hardly the stuff to be pontificating on.  if you have solid info then give us the reference.

also, you go on about the firmware string.  what firmware string is that pray tell?  if you look on the nokia update site, you will see every other manufacturer has released the newest version.  i have friends running amber+gdr2 on verizon with datasense.  no issues.  so i don't buy any of your arguments.   

and as for size... it is pretty clear data sense will be disabled.  while that will not reduce the size  it is clearly what the original author intended.     if you cant figure that out, then please just sit down.

finally, since you like analogies so much, AT&T not releasing the update in a timely manner is much mormlike the dealership saying "we have the part but we are not givving it to you even though the manufacturer has issued a recall"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013 7:55:05 PM
(0)
Teacher
and why are you in the know? you read a rumor on one of the other sites did you? hardly the stuff to be pontificating on. if you have solid info then give us the reference.
I don't have to disclose anything I don't feel like. I'm not a genie and you're not my master. There are some sources albeit not the most reliable the information fits what other information is available. Some simple logic and putting the pieces together should be good enough for you.

also, you go on about the firmware string. what firmware string is that pray tell? if you look on the nokia update site, you will see every other manufacturer has released the newest version. i have friends running amber+gdr2 on verizon with datasense. no issues. so i don't buy any of your arguments.
I take it numbed aren't your strong suit...
Rogers version of amber...
3047.0000.1326.2001 Available
AT&T version of amber
1232.5962.1314.0001 Waiting for approval

Notice how the numbers don't match? That is because they are different versions being different strings. And Verizon is very different as they do not have the Nokia Lumia 920, but the 928... Their version is 3045.0000.1328.2046 Available, again not the same version or string. Again data sense is part of GDR2 and not amber... Data sense has nothing to do with the amber firmware but has to do with the GDR2 Microsoft update.

and as for size... it is pretty clear data sense will be disabled. while that will not reduce the size it is clearly what the original author intended. if you cant figure that out, then please just sit down.
It is understood that Microsoft wanted to give the option, hence the term option. They did the same with Windows 8 and MSE baked in. If they the OEM bundles the PC with antivirus software they disable MSE as sometimes it can conflict. Just as the author intended for the OEM to make the choice. As this is a slightly different case since AT&T provides the service they also lease to own the phone to you. In this case it is not your choice. As the dealer owns the car they call the shots. Those who modify their car void the warranty and if leased can lose the lease. There is a reason why they provide unlock codes to owners and why the owners can update at their own discretion. I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to of what I'm not getting but rest assured I've been sitting this whole time.

finally, since you like analogies so much, AT&T not releasing the update in a timely manner is much mormlike the dealership saying "we have the part but we are not givving it to you even though the manufacturer has issued a recall",
Nokia recalled the update with recommendation by AT&T. If you release firmware which could permanently destroy hardware under warranty the cost comes out of AT&T and Nokia. So imagine they are releasing an updated ecu tuning for a car for free as a courtesy and they realized the update causes erratic behavior, rough idle, poor mileage and up to even the engine seizing... They pulled the ecu update and are hurrying to rewrite the ecu software to resolve the issues. Just as there are different fuel types and octanes, different emissions standards by country and state and slightly different internals it is still specific to region. Just as Verizon has 3G and 4G LTE AT&T has 4G and 4G LTE. One runs CDMA and the other runs HSPA+ and other variants. Same nickname different networks. This is why Verizon doesn't play nice with AT&T and vice versa. The update isn't universal, like a spark plug, one size doesn't fit all.

hope that helps!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013 4:31:17 AM
(0)
Voyager

While all things being equal, your number that you are quoting is the Current Firmware level.

The Site lists Current Software/Firmware version - Status of Amber.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013 5:11:10 AM
(0)
Teacher
True, but build string 1232.5962.1314.0001 is much different than 3047.0000.1326.2001 or 3045.0000.1328.2046

12xx bracket versus 30xx bracket.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013 5:21:41 AM
(0)
Voyager

That is becuase it is that far back.  Once you do the update, the Firmware Version will move up to 3047.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX.  Once it goes to available, you will see the dramatic jump.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2013 6:48:26 AM
(0)
Explorer

Geezzz... I can't belive my first post in here is to point out that the firmware version of the CURRENTLY released firmware is 1232.5962.1314.0001, which is NOT the firmware number of the upcoming firmware released as GDR2/Amber which will have a number starting with 304x.

Oh, and since it's my first post, I have to say...

• That the premiere partner thing is a joke, maybe they shouldn't be dead last if they want that moniker
  •  I'm still waiting for 7.8 on my Samsung Focus
  •  Sorry AT&T, your only function is as a dumb pipe to provide me network access. Any of your other services blow