Posted Jul 29, 2013
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013
(0)

And you're OK with that?  I would not tolerate such poor customer service over an extended period of time. 

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013
(0)

Time to raise the heat level - it's clear that there no concern for the end users! I left the posting below on the ATT/NokiaUS/Windows Phone8 FB pages. May follow up on twitter for each.  I expect to call C/S tomorrow and then possibly contact the FCC afterwards. May not make a huge diff but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. We pay our money and expect their due diligence. This is one arrogant company!!

AT&T, I am writing to voice my concerns regarding your delays in pushing out the Microsoft GDR2 & Nokia Amber updates for the Lumia 920.  Per the handset vendor, these updates were expected to have been released by end of September and most mobile operators globally have already released it to consumers.  There’s been no guidance offered by ATT, other than a non-official comment by an AT&T employee on your community forums.

I have done business with AT&T for many years on both the retail & wholesale levels.  I came back to AT&T for the Lumia 920, in spite of the negative press about late updates for the handsets running the previous Windows 7.1 version.  Ironically, my customer experience to date has been exceptionally good however, I have to question why AT&T would now arrogantly destroy the customer, and vendor relationships, by delaying the latest Microsoft & Nokia updates?  Are the other carriers doing a better job of keeping their customer handsets up to date??

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013
(0)

shoe wrote:
You know we went thru this with Windows Phone 7 and now with Windows phone 8
We all cried and complained with 7 and now with 8 hey it isn't going to
change a thing. We will get it when AT&T is ready

That's the point. MOST devices did NOT get the updates with WP7 that were on AT&T while nearly all devices on all other carriers did.  AT&T may never be "ready" or in my opinion "WILLING" to give us the update.  They have already proven they will not give them if they choose not to.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)

This beyond ridiculous!  Third-rate Third-World nations are ahead of the curve with these updates!!!  AT&T did the same thing with Windows Phone 7...  I NEVER got my WP7.8 update from AT&T on ANY of my Samsung Focus phones.  IF or when Windows Phone dies a slow and painful death, it will be because AT&T doesn't have an original bone in their body and are completely smitten and in bed with iPhone...  FRANKLY, iPhone is beyond passe now.  YES, they have great displays and a huge iTunes store with lots of apps, but if carriers like AT&T would honestly back and promote the WP Platform, the developers would DEFINATELY follow the crowd and begin developing for WP.

In Europe, where the carriers do not subsidize the phones, Windows Phone has a much higher market share because the OS is much more efficient than Android or iPhone and can run really well on pretty meager hardware.  So, people are much more inclinded to buy a cheaper phone that still has lots of great features because they're paying full market value for the device.  Eventually, (I hope), WP will reach a "critical mass" and then carriers like AT&T will be FORCED to pay attention and support it because that's where the numbers will be.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)

No but there is nothing we can do I have done the BBB the FCC MY AGO consumer fraud  my Attorney sent a letter From the FCC no response  From the BBB, AT&T offered a early update to WP8  and now we are right back at the beginning Happy days

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)

Fred Bilitnikoff wrote:

And you're OK with that?  I would not tolerate such poor customer service over an extended period of time. 

It is what it is. I've been with VZ and Sprint. It's not any different there. This is not just a function of AT&T, it's also a function of the OS platform, and the device manufacturer. Frankly the only device/OS getting it right is iPhone/iOS, and that's more to do with the way they deal with all the carriers. If I could stand the iPhone, I'd still be using it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)

This is complete and utter bull. The Amber/GDR2 update was supposed to have rolled out to Lumia 9xx devices by the end of September. There is no good, viable reason that this is still in the "testing" phase by AT&T when Nokia relesased it to AT&T 6 WEEKS ago...

Quite frankly I find it condescending and patronizing of a AT&T representative to come on here and spew all this garbage.

Shame on you Dmitriy

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)
It is very clear to me that AT&T never had any intentions of releasing the gdr2/Amber update. They never will if they can get away with it. Microsoft and Nokia should be outraged by this as well, given the device and operating system are not running at full potential under the controls of AT&T. This could reflect badly on MS/ Nokia and it should. Perhaps they could leverage AT&T to push the update.

Re: Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)
Are the people out there running Android and iOS devices getting their firmware updates in a timely manner under the controls of AT&T?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)

iOS updates are controlled by Apple and everyone gets it at the same time...

With Android its a bit more iffy. Only Nexus devices get the updates when Google releases them. Other devices are updated when released by the manufacturer pending carrier approval...

My expereince with AT&T and Android updates is a very poor one...took them nearly 6 months (after Samsung released to AT&T for approval) to release the Gingerbread update for the Samsung Infuse 4G and more than 6 months to release the Jelly Bean update for the HTC One X after HTC released it to AT&T in October...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)
Google Nexus and Apple build both the phone and the os. I can see the carrier approval process is easily by-passed. In my case, I have a Lumia 920. There seems to be a bit more red tape. The conscious decision was made in some board meeting somewhere to deny or delay (probably deny) the Amber Update to drive sales of other devices.

Ever since I signed my contract 3 months age, they have been sending me mailings offering additional lines with Galaxy or iPhone. AT&T probably wants out of WP devices, ending all support. Don't understand why. Good phone, good os.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)
...if it was going to be released, it would have rolled out in short order with Verizon and T-Mobile. Instead AT&T is alienating it's customers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)

well att may want out of windows phone, or they may not.  but their strategy does not make business sense.  you want the consumer keeping their phone as long as possible because they are paying to finance a phone, but not gettong the phone that is pure profit.  so it would make a lot of sense to update the phones aa much as possible. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)
The price of the phone itself is more than satisfied throughout the life of the contract, I assure you. The issue here is lack of customer service and product support. That is what makes no business sense. It is far easier to keep the customers you have loyal rather than gaining new ones.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)

dann123456 wrote:
...if it was going to be released, it would have rolled out in short order with Verizon and T-Mobile. Instead AT&T is alienating it's customers.

So, you're saying you don't expect them to release it, ever?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)
That's correct, I do not think they will ever release it. I hope I'm wrong.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)

johninsj wrote:

I totally expected them to release 7.x updates after 7740 because they kept promising they were going to and they never did.  So this time I'm assuming they aren't and will be surprised if they do.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2013
(0)

McHale72 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

I totally expected them to release 7.x updates after 7740 because they kept promising they were going to and they never did.  So this time I'm assuming they aren't and will be surprised if they do.

Well, they certainly have committed to releasing the update. I will be very surprised if they don't. It is frustrating that they're late (although they are not the only carrier who is late with the update.)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2013
(0)

Dear AT&T,

I've been a customer for 10yrs. At approximately 100 dollars a month, you have now about 12,000 dollars of my hard earned money. To my knowledge At&t is only a wireless pipeline for my phone to communicate to other devices in this world. Nothing more. There is nothing on any of my devices over the last 10yrs that at&t manages other then a wireless connection.

I bought a 920 on the original release date, I have a contract for two years and will not be eligible for an upgrade until late 2014. By then you will have another 2,400 dollars of my hard earned money.

At&t get over yourselves and release the update. Its unheard of that a company worth 126.7 BILLION Dollars takes months to test for a 600 dollar phone/software. AT&T employees over 250,000 people. You should dedicate more than one person to this task of testing.

I clearly don't understand, when I purchase a net book, ipad or tablet from at&t, updates are not stalled or tested. Updates come direct from the software giants with out the delays through your 126.7 billion dollar operation.

regards, from a put out long term customer.

PS- I would like my 7.8 update for my Samsung Focus. Thx

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2013
(0)

dann123456 wrote:
The price of the phone itself is more than satisfied throughout the life of the contract, I assure you. The issue here is lack of customer service and product support. That is what makes no business sense. It is far easier to keep the customers you have loyal rather than gaining new ones.

its more than just keeping the customer happy.  built into our cost is a "finance charge" to buy a new phone.  if after two years we don't get a new phone and don't leave, AT&T makes more money.  not updating means we want to trade out our phones sooner.  AT&T IS NOT BEING REASONABLE.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2013
(0)

I would agree with mark. I've had phone well after my contract is expired. And my monthly bill DID NOT GO DOWN. Meaning, a portion of money that was ear marked for the phone installments now went directly into Atts back pocket.

don't be fooled by the new marketing strategy, because its the same system with a new name.

again, better business would be keep the customer on the same device for longer, at the same monthly chargers.

think about it ppl. The average consumer buy a 300-1000 dollar laptop once every 5yrs - 7yrs. You get update's direct from the OS manufacture and new internal hardware but not a new device.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2013
(0)
I am very tempted to update to Rogers amber, flashing directly to the most recent rom from pre portico, which I think can be done. I know if I do it, att will immediately release the update....so if it comes out in next few days, you will know I updated.

In reality, I am not expecting att to release an update. I can't understand why they would not, but I believe they would have done so if they were going to. Now maybe we will get gdr3 or 8.1, but trust is broken and I will probably not stay with att after my contract expires.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2013
(0)
Mark and jrock1 don't misunderstand me here. I know very well I will end up paying full price for my phone multiple times. And that's just within the 2 years of my contract term. We can argue the economics of it all you want. AT&T IS DEFINITELY GETTING THEIR MONEY. I am here to to complain about lack of customer support after we've spent all this money. Isn't that why we're here?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2013
(0)

@Dann123456,

yes, and I hope some tech news outlet that is monitoring this forum writes another piece about this situation from the customer's standpoint. We know your out there since, reports got circulated when a "non-official" yet official poster decided to say updates are coming in a few weeks.

That post in itself is a disgrace to the level of customer service that att provides. For the fact that att can allow someone to make statements, then allow that posting to be the storyline that goes viral, is disgusting. It's a punch in the nose, spit in your customers face while you still collect my money.

ATT - officially answer the original question to this thread! When????

BTW: As of this morning, the L520 in Canada is now receiving the update. ATT YOU ARE DOING NOTHING FOR YOUR WELL PAYING CUSTOMERS.

for the rest of you who want to take matters into your own hands and get data sense.

[Inappropriate content removed] 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2013
(0)
I have at least one app installed that cannot be updated because I do not have gdr2/ amber update! I'm sure many more of you out there have the same problem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2013
(0)

Not that it's worth much, but I finally got a response from Nokia.  "The upcoming weeks" doesn't tell us much, but it gives me some hope that we'll receive the update.  Granted, I haven't been hosed by AT&T in the past, so I don't harbor the same bitterness toward them as some do, but I'll consider this light at the end of the tunnel.

nokiaresponse.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2013
(0)
@johninsj,

Are you really an Apple Fanboy Troll incognito? You comments seem that way to me.

That's my viewpoint anyways!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 5, 2013
(0)

rrathbun wrote:
@johninsj,

Are you really an Apple Fanboy Troll incognito? You comments seem that way to me.

That's my viewpoint anyways!

You got me. Actually, I'm just an AT&T customer like you and everyone else. I've been around a long while on a lot of different carriers and using a lot of different OSes (all the way back to PalmOS, and Windows CE - talk about hard to get updates!) so I am not outraged by these things anymore.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 5, 2013
(0)

Obviously you are crazy.  This has nothing to do with the OS.  If it was the OS, why would all the other major carriers have been able to deploy it weeks ago?  I have friends that daily taunt me with their updated lumia's.  Saying it is the OS means that you are either a plant or just uneducated. 

If ATT cant get it to update then is is a sign of a lack of technical knowledge.  If they can but choose not to, that is a sign of bad customer service and support.  Either way Sprint is starting to look really good.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 5, 2013
(0)

To johninsj

Noticed that you have posted over 2200 posts over the last 3 years.  You also had spent most of your time posting stuff in the iphone forums but recently started posting stuff in the windows phone forums.  Whats with your sudden interest in the windows phone?  Also, why would you post 2200 posts for a company you dont work for.... or do you work for ATT?  I cannot imagine posting 2200 postings for any company, even the one I work for,,,, unless that was my job,,,,,,

Listen, I get it, you are an iPhone fan, working for ATT, trying to change the momentum of this forum.  OK, fine, but at least tell the people in the castle that the natives are getting restless.