Posted Jul 29, 2013
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013
(0)
......and the disappointment continues. I'd again really like to find out what the rigorous process ATT puts their phones through.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013
(0)

I am out of the country in Kenya and today I got my IOS7 OTA update effortlessly on my AT&T Iphone. Unfortunately  been waiting for GDR2 update for almost a month now for my Lumia 920. Incidentally even in small countries like Kenya the DGR2 is already available to the windows phone 8 owners. What's up AT&T?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013
(0)

Note how they always have Iphone updates ready in a flash. So yes, it can be done. Obviously, WP are not a high enough priority for them. They're too busy appeasing Iphone users.

Youd think that time after time of update delays, that something would be done to fix the process. Make it smoother and get it done in a timely manner. But no. They just tell us to wait.

And the worst part about all of it,  is that we will end up getting a gimp verson of Amber. No Data Sense. I am officially done with ATT once my contract is up, which I believe is soon. Then they can kiss the behinds of Iphone owners all they want, for all I care. Im done with ATT.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013
(0)

I guess we know where ATT's real priorities are....  iphones.  Appease the masses and let the rest deal with having to wait.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013
(0)
Same thing happened with the WP 7.8 update, it took 4 months. Why wait have a "Snickers"...

Re: Where's GDR2 / GDR3

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013
(0)

Not that I don't agree with you, but....then what?   Verizon?  T-Mobile?  Sprint?   All mortgaged their wives and kids to get the iPhone.  Where ever you move...you will be faced with iPhone.  Unless you move to Europe, where the iPhone is not so much on a pedestal as here.

If you do move, send up a post card !!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013
(0)

Here is something I don’t understand.  The Lumia 925 is out and has amber on it. Its really not all that different from the 920 so why is there no update the Lumia 920 users? I get it they want you to buy a 925 but if a user isn't up for an upgrade then why not just give them the update?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013
(0)

If they make the phone you have better, you're less likely to buy a new one and trap yourself in another contract.  Don't worry if you're still in a contract - they'll help you out to extend your contract and get you that new device with the current software. 

It will be interesting to see how long they string out the new 1020 and 925 owners when GDR3 is already running on every other carriers' phones and at&t's latest top windows phone.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013
(0)
Why has att just completely dropped the ball on the Nokia amber update? Every other provider and country has it and I still haven't got it and its been two months since it released.

this is shameful to claim to be the best and fall so short. 24 hrs more than the update release is unacceptable. Quit tampering with the update and release it already

where is the amber update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013
(0)
They don't comment because they modify the update to allow illegal intrusion on your phone. There's no need to let it not be added through a download from nokia

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013
(0)
So every AT&T twitter post, Facebook post, or forum page is littered with message after message regarding them as having poor customer service or no care at all for their members. Then they hold back an update for a "flagship" phone for people that are most likely ineligible for upgrading at this time. Then they ignore the next flood of posts, negative and positive, pleading for the release of this software or at least a tentative date (not nebulous period,) and still have the nerve, the audacity, the sheer disrespect for their paying customers to tweet "Don't like to wait?" What the!? Are you kidding me? What kind of company can exist as such an ignorant, arrogant, soulless husk of a human organization that operates so blindly in the field that they helped invent as this? What empty, heartless fools manage this burning pyre of impudent filth. I was a little annoyed at first with having to wait, but this is just insulting. Let's not mention the 9/11 Facebook debacle. Your treatment of your loyal customers is making me sick. I've been with AT&T/Cingular for 13 years and I am appalled at where this company has gone. IPhones come and go. You won't be able to rest on your Apple throne forever and the base of followers you have is going to simply walk away as your cardboard orange and blue castles crumble. Your deals will get better, your prices will be ludicrously low, and then you'll be bought be some upstart company and turned to second tier go phones only organization. Say hello to Westinghouse for me. It may be a ways off, but you're setting the groundwork today. 13 months and counting until I am free of this garbage. I have managed to talk my company into another service and they have offered a better support structure. They may be terrible too, but I haven't seen anything quite this ignorant. I'm disappointed in you AT&T. A once great American institution has fallen deep into the pit of worthlessness.

p.s. I would still appreciate the upgrade to GDR2 when it's available. Thanks :-)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013
(0)

We already have three topics on this which rehash it over and over. Could you just post in one of them?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: where is the amber update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013
(0)

Funny, I have Pro Camera listed as an option in the camera....and extras+info has a "i" about the Amber update....  But NO UPDATE...

<sigh>

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013
(0)
Lets those topics be posted so at&t can see what we are all waiting for. If there's a page full of gdr2/3 topics, then at&t is gonna have to do something about it...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013
(0)
Hungry, why wait have a Snickers, its gonna be a while...

Re: gdr2 update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013
(0)

EJ86 wrote:
Lets those topics be posted so at&t can see what we are all waiting for. If there's a page full of gdr2/3 topics, then at&t is gonna have to do something about it...

This is a user to user forum, not an AT&T support forum. I doubt the same handful of people posting over and over is going to make things go any faster.

And yes, I too await the update. But I'm not ready to get the torch and pitchfork. If they miss end of September then I "shall be very put out"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013
(0)

Mariana, it's been waaaaaay too long for a "through rigorous testing", unless you have only one person on the testing team! I am running out of my patience ...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2013
(0)
Do like I did and complain to customer service on the phone. Now have a Lumia 1020 with GDR3 for a mere 99 dollars...

Alternately, hold your breath and turn blue waiting for AT&T to take care of you.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2013
(0)
Why are they working on GDR2? That came ready to go from Microsoft. The Amber update came from the hardware manufacturer Nokia ready to go also. What's to test? Ahhh hah....it most be the patience of the customers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2013
(0)

Good point, what is there to test?  Its been tested by the rest of the world already.  Unless ATT is just removing the important features of GDR2.

This is truly disappointing.

Apple released their update last week and it was out the same day.  Microsoft released theirs almost two months ago and its still not available.

The least we could get is some information.  WHEN is it coming would be an excellent start.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2013
(0)

gf1600 wrote:
 WHEN is it coming would be an excellent start.

Sometime in the next 8 days, I would expect.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2013
(0)

John:

Can we expect you to be the first one expressing your outrage on October 1st?

Best,

Fred.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2013
(0)

My point is that I would like ATT to SAY it.  I want them to give us a time frame of the release rather then this silence which they are so good at.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2013
(0)

I will be surprised if we get it in 7 days.  I also have not seen anything official that it will be out by the end of September.

Maybe we will get it by November.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2013
(0)

9/23/2013 - still "Waiting for approval"!

So sad, so dissappointed!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2013
(0)
I think we will be lucky to get gdr3 and 8.1.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2013
(0)
I don't think we'll get gdr2. We will be lucky to get gdr3 and 8.1

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2013
(0)

Supposedly, EVERY Nokia phone that qualifies for the update will see it before the end of September.  This is the last full week of September.  Assuming AT&T lives up to their end of the bargain, (as per Nokia's promise), my gut feel is that they'll release it on Monday.  But given my OWN terrible experiences with AT&T and the Samsung Focus (all three models) NEVER receiving WP7.8, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if they miss the deadline.  IF they release it on 9/30/13...  I will remain an AT&T customer...  HOWEVER, if they don't, and instead ship it later than that, I will consider that my cue to jump ship and go to Verizon!  I'll be submitting a "help desk ticket" today simply to make my feelings known to AT&T as well as to excoriate them on their pathetic track record and lack of commitment and devotion to their customers!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2013
(0)

gf1600 wrote:

My point is that I would like ATT to SAY it.  I want them to give us a time frame of the release rather then this silence which they are so good at.

They never do that. They'll annouce it when it's available.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2013
(0)

Fred Bilitnikoff wrote:

John:

Can we expect you to be the first one expressing your outrage on October 1st?

"If it is otherwise I shall be very put out" to paraphrase Prince Humperdinck. That doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it will be counter to everything anyone could know. AT&T has publicly commented that they are "testing" and Nokia has publicly commented that all 920s are expected to have the update by the end of September. That's all we have to go on.